Hershel Woodrow "Woody" Williams, USMC, CMOH--Iwo Jima

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hershel Woodrow "Woody" Williams, USMC, CMOH--Iwo Jima

“Woody Williams” was born Hershel Woodrow "Woody" Williams in Fairmont, West Virginia on October 2, 1923. He grew up on a dairy farm in Quiet Dell, which is near Fairmont.

In WW2 he was a United States Marine who received the Medal of Honor for action above and beyond the call of duty during the Battle of Iwo Jima. The action was above and beyond the call of duty because he wasn’t ordered to do what he did, and nobody asked him to volunteer for what he did……..that is nobody but “Woody” himself……he called himself to “duty”………and he did his “duty” as he alone determined it to be, and he did it extremely well.

In his words, when I first met him in the early 80s, “the real heroes are still over there”……..I hate to disagree with a man like “Woody”, but I don’t really think that all of the heroes are still “over there”…….many of them came back, many of them came back to us in West Virginia…….and he is definitely one.

Prior to the war, and into the early part he was a ordinary young man, who worked at many things, including as a truck driver for a construction company in Fairmont, and he drove a taxi cab. He was turned down for the U.S. military for being too short just like a Texan named Audie Murphy, but on May 26, 1943, he enlisted in the Marine Corps Reserve in Charleston, West Virginia.

He went through training at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego, California, and then to Camp Elliott in San Diego. He entered the tank training battalion on August 21, 1943. Next month he was transferred for instruction in demolition and flamethrowers, which he put to use in a big way on Iwo Jima.
    Williams joined the 32nd Replacement Battalion on October 30, 1943, and left for New Caledonia in the southwest Pacific on December 3 aboard the M.S. Weltey Reden. In January 1944, he joined the 3rd Marine Division at Guadalcanal. He was attached to the 1st Battalion, 21st Marines, first to Company C and then to Headquarters Company. In July and August 1944, he was in action against the Japanese at Guam, and in October he rejoined Company C.

His next campaign was at Iwo Jima with actions "above and beyond the call of duty" ….except his own “call to duty” for which he would be awarded the Medal of Honor.

He landed on Iwo Jima on February 21, 1945, Corporal Williams, just two days later, when our tanks came upon a network of reinforced concrete pillboxes, buried mines, and black volcanic sands, went forward alone with his flamethrower and satchel charge to knock out the machine gun fire, which was holding up the advance and wounding and killing so many of his fellow Marines!

He was covered by four riflemen, and fought for at least four hours……though I am sure it must have seemed like a lifetime through Japanese small-arms and machine gun fire, returning repeatedly to his own lines to prepare more demolition charges and get more flame throwers. He returned to the front, frequently to the rear of hostile emplacements, to wipe out one position after another. At one point, he found the air vent of a Japanese bunker, moved in and put the nozzle of his flamethrower through the hole, killing the occupants. On another occasion, he encountered Japanese riflemen, who attempted to stop him with bayonets, and destroyed them with a burst of flame from his weapon. He described this to me as almost like it was in slow motion……they couldn’t seem to hit him…..and they were sure trying. It was almost like he was being protected by some higher power…….maybe he was, because had he taken fire into the tanks he carried it would have been him that was incinerated by the flamethower.

This was the same day as the raising of the U.S. flag on Mount Suribachi, although “Woody” didn’t get to see it……he was otherwise occupied. He went through the rest of the five-week-long battle and was wounded on March 6, and was awarded the Purple Heart.

In September 1945, he returned to the United States, and on October 1, he joined Marine Corps Headquarters in Washington, D.C. He was presented the Medal of Honor by President Harry S. Truman on October 5, 1945, at the White House.

On October 22, 1945, he was transferred to the Marine Barracks, Naval Training Center, Bainbridge, Maryland, for discharge. He was discharged from the Marine Corps Reserve on November 6, 1945, but on March 1948, he reenlisted in the inactive Marine Corps Reserve, and was again discharged on August 4, 1949.

On October 20, 1954, he joined the Organized Marine Reserve when the 98th Special Infantry Company was authorized by Marine Corps Headquarters, Clarksburg, West Virginia. He transferred to the 25th Infantry Company in Huntington, West Virginia on June 9, 1957. He later became the (Interim) Commanding Officer of that unit as a warrant officer on June 6, 1960. He was designated the Mobilization Officer for the 25th Infantry Company and surrounding Huntington area on June 11, 1963.

He advanced through the warrant officer ranks in the Reserves finally becoming a Chief Warrant Officer 4 (CWO-4). CWO-4 Williams did not meet retirement requirements, however, he was honorarily retired from the Marine Corps Reserve in 1969 after approximately 17 years of service.

“Woody” felt the effects of Iwo Jima, but in 1962, or thereabouts, he experienced a religious renewal, and was a chaplain of the Congressional Medal of Honor Society for 35 years.

The citation to his Medal of Honor tells you that:

“For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as Demolition Sergeant serving with the First Battalion, Twenty-First Marines, Third Marine Division, in action against enemy Japanese forces on Iwo Jima, Volcano Island, 23 February 1945. Quick to volunteer his services when our tanks were maneuvering vainly to open a lane for the infantry through the network of reinforced concrete pillboxes, buried mines and black, volcanic sands, Corporal Williams daringly went forward alone to attempt the reduction of devastating machine-gun fire from the unyielding positions. Covered only by four riflemen, he fought desperately for four hours under terrific enemy small-arms fire and repeatedly returned to his own lines to prepare demolition charges and obtain serviced flame throwers, struggling back, frequently to the rear of hostile emplacements, to wipe out one position after another. On one occasion he daringly mounted a pillbox to insert the nozzle of his flame thrower through the air vent, kill the occupants and silence the gun; on another he grimly charged enemy riflemen who attempted to stop him with bayonets and destroyed them with a burst of flame from his weapon. His unyielding determination and extraordinary heroism in the face of ruthless enemy resistance were directly instrumental in neutralizing one of the most fanatically defended Japanese strong points encountered by his regiment and aided in enabling his company to reach its' objective. Corporal Williams' aggressive fighting spirit and valiant devotion to duty throughout this fiercely contested action sustain and enhance the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.”

What it doesn’t tell you us that he personally knocked out seven (7) pillboxes that day on Iwo……under Japanese fire…..alone…….with only 4 riflemen firing covering fire, when they could stick their heads up to fire.
    He also has a special relationship with veterans, and has fought to help them for many years.

He is a retired Commandant of the W.Va. Veterans Home at Barboursville, WV, he was appointed as the first Commandant in 1980, served until June 1985. He also retired as a Veterans Services Officer, United States Veterans Administration, January 1978 after 33 years of serving veterans.

In 1965, Williams received West Virginia's Distinguished Service Medal. In 1967, he was honored by the Veteran's Administration with the Vietnam Service Medal for service as a civilian counselor to the armed forces. In 1999, he was added to the City of Huntington Foundation's "Wall of Fame", and has named in his honor the West Virginia National Guard Armory in Fairmont, West Virginia; a bridge at Barboursville, West Virginia; and an athletic field at Huntington, West Virginia.

Again, I know what he said to me, and I hate to disagree with him, but…..I believe “Woody” is a hero who came back to all of us…….and I think that the countless Marines, who he saved from devastating wounds, and whose lives he saved that day on Iwo Jima, by taking out those pillboxes, would likely agree with me.

I am posting photos of some of the things he gave me, including a copy of his citation; his later Warrant Officer tunic (he other uniforms were long gone); the 3 original medals of his in the frame (with the letter of authentication from him); a Marine patch; the 3rd Division book he autographed in two places; and some photos….the dog is “Abednego”, his bulldog (deceased), who used to accompany him in the veteran’s parades. He was going to get a CMOH for me to put in the display too, but I guess he wasn’t able…..no matter, that is not the important thing……what he and the others did for us is much more important…….they made sure we stayed free…….all of them……..even if they did non-combat roles…….they were a part of the team!

Oh……..in case you are wondering…….”Woody” is around 86 or so now and is still with us………I personally hope he makes it at least 86 more years…….at least. I know it may almost be sacrilegious for a former U.S. Army, and former U.S. Air Force guy, to speak the sacred words……..but, here goes…….to “Woody” I say,

“SEMPER FI”, and best wishes.

Ron

P.S. One more thing....."Woody" may have been too short when he first tried to join the military, but........he sure stood "tall" that day on Iwo Jima!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Don Doering; 08-19-2010, 02:48 PM.

This is to "Woody"

Did I get it right....if not, tell me and I will correct it.

Ron

Comment

Hi Ron
      GREAT thread,thank you so much for sharing his story with us.These Guys are in my mind the true Heros of our Great Nation. Jay

Comment

I am pleased to report that Woody and his family has seen the post, and his grandson sent me this:

"Ron,

I wanted to take a moment and Thank you on behalf of the Family of Woody. We are grateful for your admiration and support and you did an absolutely fantastic job on the thread!! Very, very nice indeed!!

You obviously spent a lot of time and effort to accomplish that compilation and it is IMPRESSIVE!

So, once again on behalf of the family, WE APPRECIATE YOU!!

Godspeed and Warmest Regards,

Brent Casey
        (grandson)"

I want to publicly thank Brent Casey and the entire family.........and most of all thank Woody and all the veterans for what they did for us all............thanks for the freedoms we still enjoy!! This thank you also extends to the veterans who came before and after Woody, and the members of our armed forces serving and protecting us today.

Ron

Comment

This is a more recent photo of "Woody" Williams (on the right). On the left is a long time friend of his, Darol "Lefty" Lee, one of the riflemen that fired covering fire for him that day on Iwo Jima. Center is Brent Casey, Woody's grandson.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Ron,

Another great topic.
            Thanks for sharing.

Douglas

Comment

I thought I would give you a closer look at the paperwork in the display, and the whole photo, taken in Minnesota at the Lindberg monument to the first flag raising on Iwo Jima, that the color shot of Woody and others was cropped from......the tunic is packed away because of the room work....but, when finished, it will be brought back out and maybe put back in the case for it, or another one made.

Ron

[IMG][/IMG]

The stuff in the display case (paper and photos).

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Wonderful display honoring a true hero! I always enjoy seeing Woody interviewed in various TV shows and it is nice to see these artifacts preserved and shared with the rest of us. Thanks!
                best wishes,
                jeff
                Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

More of Woody

Dave Shively has graciously supplied me with more photos to show Woody, some of his family, the things he does, and, possibly, a bit of his loves and passions. If I don't get them all up now, I will continue.....and should more come to me from the family, I will post them....with their permission. I also believe Dave is the photographer in many of them......he also appears to be a very good woodworker, as you will see; and, he looks on Woody as sort of a second father. I think Woody and his family sort of "like" him too. This is Dave on the left with Woody and grandson Brent at the Chicago MOH convention.

[IMG][/IMG]

And this is what Dave made himself for Woody, which Woody keeps near his favorite chair.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The two helmets on rifles to the right side represent the two covering fire riflemen who were KIA on Iwo Jima......more about the words later.

Here is a shot of Woody's original Congressional Medal of Honor, the one presented to him by President Truman. Now before you say it can't be because the ribbon is not like the one in the earlier photos......you would be right about the ribbon, but not the medal. Woody has, over the years, made many appearances for many events (a great number of them to honor veterans...and reunite with them when possible), and he wore his medal until sort of retiring it in favor of a museum wearing copy, for want of a better term. The ribbon got worn and dirty, and, not wanting to degrade the medal, he has often replaced the ribbon with a new one. What is important to Woody is not so much the ribbon.....but the medal itself, and what it represents and means to him.

[IMG][/IMG]

Woody has not varied in all these years regarding what it means to him. I remember the first time I ever visited and met Woody in 1983, I think it was, he told me, and what he told me is the same thing he tells everyone now. In fact he has become somewhat known around these parts, and all over the country, for telling what it means..........and it isn't money, wealth or fame......he is a rather humble and ordinary (in some ways) country boy from West Virginia (a lot of us are). What does it mean to Woody.......you may ask. Well, simply put, Woody does not consider the medal to be his medal!! He considers it to have been earned and deserved by, not himself, but by all the men who never got to come home to a life with friends, home, and family......who gave up their lives so we could have ours!!! He considers himself to be merely the "caretaker" for their medal!!!!

He has become somewhat famous for these words, which rarely, if ever, vary when he speaks:

" On October 23, 1945 Standing before the President of the United States, scared half to death, shaking like a leaf in a hurricane, I became a role model. Did I want to become a role model, no! I'm a country boy bashful and shy. But the moment President Harry S. Truman placed this ribbon and this Medal around my neck, I became a role model. I represent more than myself. I represented thousands of Marines who never got to come home, mow the lawn, and raise a family. I especially represented two Marines who on February 23rd 1945 gave their lives protecting mine. So when I wear this Medal, I do not wear it for what I did, I wear it in honor...for those to Marines that day, who gave their lives saving mine. I am just the caretaker of the Medal, it really belongs to them."

Woody sometimes forgets, I think, that he saved many Marines that day too.

Not that Woody would forget those words, one doesn't forget the truth, and to Woody that is what he truly believes, but rather to memorialize them......Dave put those words on the plaque he made for Woody.

[IMG][/IMG]

Woody gave up his uniform years ago, but now he sometimes dons a new one....when he appears and speaks for and about veterans, particularly those he honors who can't speak...since they gave up everything for us. Here he is in that uniform alongside a Marine SGT in the uniform Woody wore. The photo was taken in Louisville, KY.

[IMG][/IMG]

Woody does what he can to keep the memory of the veterans alive. Here he is donating his Medal of Honor flag to Ed Tracy, Director, of the Pritzker Military Library in Chicago for their displays.

[IMG][/IMG]

And here he is by the tapestry made for him by a woman from nearby Huntington, West Virginia, which is displayed in the same museum.

[IMG][/IMG]

Woody does what he can to advance veterans causes. Here he is among 31 CMOH awardees at a Chicago fundraising event.

[IMG][/IMG]

And in his "new" uniform in support of veterans.

[IMG][/IMG]

In this one, when the traveling "Wall" exhibit came around, Woody permitted his medal to appear too in order to help publicize it, and gain support for the veterans of Viet-Nam.

[IMG][/IMG]

I said earlier that maybe I would let you know about his passions.......I am sure there are many......but here are some.

Woody with his grandsons, on the left his grandson Bryan, Brent, Woody and grandson Chad.

[IMG][/IMG]

One of his great passions are the veterans.......others are the Corps, his country, his state, his family, and his friends......and maybe most of all.....the ones he takes care of the medal for since they never came back to claim it. Here he is speaking with passion at the State Capitol in Charleston, West Virginia......see the passion in his face! Do I know what the words were.......no.........but I can take a guess......I think somewhere in that speech all his passions were covered.....and maybe at the moment the shutter of the camera fired!!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

There is a lot of passion in that humble West Virginia country boy......brings to mind one who is always faithful......Semper Fi........and always free.......Montani Semper Liberi, our West Virginia motto. It also makes me think Woody would do it all again too!!

Could he..........well.......you be the judge, I'm retired now.......but here he is at the Knob Creek Gun Range at West Point, KY, where he got a chance for the first time in 64 years to "light" one up again.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Looks to me like he hasn't lost his touch!!!! I hope that Woody doesn't feel the "call of duty" that he did that day on Iwo Jima, because I want him to make the next 86 or so years and more.......but, something tells me that if he does feel it again.....he may be ready to answer the call!!! I still think that many of the heroes came back, and many of them to West Virginia........and I am looking forward to visiting one of them again in November......and my son is anxious to meet him for the first time!!

Woody may well not have wanted to become a role model.......but he sure became an OUTSTANDING one for a shy bashful West Virginia country boy!!

Semper Fi Woody,
                  Ron
                  Last edited by Ron C.; 08-22-2010, 05:03 AM.

Comment

An excellent thread about a very brave and honorable man. Thanks for sharing it with us.
                    pseudo-expert

Comment

Thanks very much for recounting this hero's life for us Ron. He is a giant among men!

Comment

One of Woody's friends passed today

I just got word from Woody's grandson, Brent Casey, about the passing of one of Woody's friends, and have posted the information supplied me about Mr. McNerney in the forum. I am sure Woody is not happy tonight, but I am also sure that Woody would like it if we were to honor his friend........a fellow CMOH awardee, David Herbert McNerney.

Ron

Comment

Interview with "Woody" Williams

Woody's grandson, Brent Casey, sent me an interview with Woody that was done a couple weeks ago while when they were in Charleston, S.C. for the 2010 Congressional Medal of Honor Convention.

It is about 27 minutes long, and deals with Woody's religious beliefs and philosophy; it also tells you gives you insight as to what kind of man Woody is and what is important to him.

I think it is well worth watching a shy backward country boy from West Virginia, who didn't seek to become a role model.......but did a very good job of it...but then I am prejudiced in Woody's favor.

You may see the interview at the address below.

Ron

http://vimeo.com/15695345

Comment

Thanks a lot for sharing, very nice presentation.

Cheers,
                            Robert

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to post this .
                              Say Hi for me .
                              owen

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X