Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with cleaning out a Jerrycan..

Hi All,
    I just got my very first jerrycan (V&N 1943) and was wondering what’s the easiest way to clean out the inside (and around the lid) of gas? The outside looks good and want to keep it “as is” if possible. How to prevent the inside from rusting after I clean it out? I'm worried if I clean out the inside with water and not drying completely, that it might rust in the future.

Thank you for your help,
    Rodney

Hi Rodney, What I do with mine is, drain contents, Flush out with white spirits/turps then add a rust proofing fluid like waxoyl (just enough to swish about, completely coating the interior) Regards Toby.

Comment

Mahalo Toby for the info !!,

Do I first rinse it out with water then add the white spirit/turps (Turpentine?)? I'm not sure where to find waxoyl but I have another type of rust proofing liquid that I could use (now to find where I put it). Should I let the white spirit/turps dry out before adding the rust proofing liquid?

Hau’oli Makahiki Hou!!
      Aloha,
      Rodney
      Last edited by RodneyO; 01-01-2012, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Hi Rodney, I do not use water as this will not flush out the oil based contents ! White spirit or turpentine will dilute any oily gunk in the can and flush it out. We in the UK call it waxoyl it may go under a different name where you live, but any type of wax based rust preventer will do the job
        Best Wishes Toby.

Comment

Aloha Toby,
          The liquid product I have is called "Carwell CP90 Rust Inhibitor". Here's a website that explains how it works, www.carwell.com/howworks/index.html . Do you think it might work as well as waxoyl?

Mahalo,
          Rodney

Comment

Originally posted by RodneyO View Post
            Aloha Toby,
            The liquid product I have is called "Carwell CP90 Rust Inhibitor". Here's a website that explains how it works, www.carwell.com/howworks/index.html . Do you think it might work as well as waxoyl?

Mahalo,
            Rodney
            Hi Rodney, Yes this product will do the job After you have added it to the can, leave the cap off of the Jerry can for a day or two for the product to dry a bit !
            Regards Toby

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X