• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

close up
    Attached Files

Comment

Even closer!
      Note original Kriegsmarine "High Seas" badge.
      Every large sea going vessel had a doctor on board and
      he would qualify for such a badge! See also post 1018.
      The maker of this rare (and weather beaten) badge is "RS & S"
      Attached Files

Comment

My Landschutzen uniform restoration project is making progress.
        Note Edelweiss arm badge as worn on occasion by Innsbrück based
        Landschutzen battalions (info furnished by fellow member Craig Brown!)
        Attached Files
        Last edited by NickG; 10-05-2008, 03:16 PM.

Comment

final image

Final image for the time being of a corner of my clutter collection!
          The hunt continues!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by NickG; 10-13-2008, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Here's a "in memory of" dedication that I created for a Wehrmacht soldier
            who shares my last name.
            I have no idea if we're related but I do know that my family originates from the
            Dutch-German border (the name is 100% Dutch) in a place called Den Ham, trace-able back to
            the 1650's

The soldier, a Gefreiter (already 37!) gave is life during the 1944 calapse of Heeresgruppe Mitte (Center)
            in Belarus on the Russian front ...
            The Russian offensive "Operation Bagration" in June 1944 was considered
            the “Defeat of the Army Group Center” where he fell in battle. RIP
            Attached Files
            Last edited by NickG; 10-05-2008, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Another soldier that shares my last name, a Union gunner from Ohio during the Civil War.
              Something I had framed with original period artifacts (Kepi insignia) of Union Artillery soldier.
              No clue if we're related but with such an uncommon last name, a good chance we are!
              He survived the Civil war. The document reads Company, (which came out of a publication)
              but more accurate is Battery for artillery units...I would think...
              Attached Files
              Last edited by NickG; 10-05-2008, 11:24 PM.

Comment

period image

Reproduction of a period image of this soldier's Volunteer unit from Ohio, circa 1863
                Attached Files

Comment

Going back even further in time!
                  Here 2 more soldiers (brothers) of Dutch decent, who share my last name,
                  both recruited during the War of independence (Revolutionary war) and served
                  under General Washington in the Continental Army and survived the fierce winter
                  of 1777 at "Valley Forge".
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by NickG; 10-05-2008, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Impression of the Valley Forge Winter campaign (turning point in the Revolutionary war), Pennsylvania, Winter of 1777, where these 2 brothers encamped along with 11,000 troops in the Continental Army under Gen.Washington. Note the bare feet on some troops!
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by NickG; 10-05-2008, 11:28 PM.

Comment

updates

Its time for some updates!
                      Last edited by NickG; 11-02-2008, 02:37 PM.

Comment

zoll pelzmutze

pelzmutze with zoll insignia !
                        Attached Files

Comment

This Zoll Tunic Goes Great With The Pile Cap

This tunic is a possible acquisition through trade or purchase,
                          which I am still negotiating with a fellow WAF member.
                          It was incorrectly restored as a SD tunic with questionable insignia, but now
                          refitted with zoll (customs) insignia for "berg landzoll" as its the closest thing
                          I can up with for it to be correct. Either way looks neat I think!
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by NickG; 11-01-2008, 02:11 AM.

Comment

side view

A side view...these zoll-customs troops were often patrolling Alpine regions and were often mountaineering qualified when operating in these areas and entitled to wear a edelweiss patch on the left sleeve.(Heer was worn on the right sleeve of course)

The Zoll did have its own unique edelweiss design sleeve patch, with a serrated ("saw like")
                            border design similar to the collar tabs, with the edelweiss in the center of course, but these were not issued in seems based on photographic evidence...
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by NickG; 11-01-2008, 10:37 PM.

Comment

close up

close up "zollsekretar" rank. Note RFV cyphers (ReichsFinanzVerwaltung)
                              Regarding the Russian front ribbon:
                              YES these guys did serve on the Russian front!
                              I have a death card of a Zoll official who died in 1944 during the Soviet summer offensive
                              when army group center (HeeresGruppe Mitte) collapsed...

Zoll officials followed the front lines in the east in order to regulate the flow of goods requistioned (expropriated) from defeated enemies, for use in the Reich. So customs men would have been sent with other rear echelon personnel close to the front lines and ended up involved with a sudden enemy offensives... in a defensive combat role (note black wound badge!)
                              Also Zoll personnel were employed in anti-partisan activities (banden-kampfen) and anti-smuggling operations, securing/patrolling their Reich borders.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by NickG; 11-01-2008, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Heer M34 overseas cap

Heer M34 overseas cap with a twist...note seams...(YELLOW arrows)
                                It is actually a reworked Dutch Army cap.... which was wartime converted
                                for Heer use!
                                (a US vet bring back obtained in France...for him no doubt it was just another German cap...)
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by NickG; 11-01-2008, 01:14 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X