Kampfgruppe

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feldherrnhalle Gefreiter uniform study (1944 colour photograph)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feldherrnhalle Gefreiter uniform study (1944 colour photograph)

Hi, I realise that this should technically be in the photo section, however as it concerns solely the uniform details shown I thought it might be appropriate to post here. I think that Feldherrnhalle / FHH (Wehrmacht units) photographs are relatively rare, and this is in colour! It was used as the front cover illustration for a book by Eric Lefevre published in France in 1986. The caption with it (inside the book) states:-

Illustration de la couverture: Ce Gefreiter de la Panzer-Grenadier Division Feldherrnhalle a ete photographie en 1944. Notez les insignes de pattes d'epaules avec les trois Kampfrunen (runes de combats) et la bande de bras sur le bras gauches. Il s'agit d'un document original.

Photo couleurs Couverture : Hugo Jaeger / Life. Time Inc

My translation (might not be perfect....):-

Cover illustration: This Gefreiter from the Panzer-Grenadier Feldherrnhalle Division was photographed in 1944. Note the shoulder-strap badges with the three Kampfrunen (battle runes) and the arm band on the left arm. This is an original document.

Colour cover photo : Hugo Jaeger / Life. Time Inc

Hugo Jaeger (Jäger) was one of Hitler's personal photographers who took around 2000 colour pictures during the Third Reich period, hid the negatives after the war and then sold them to Time magazine in 1965. Time published the Hitler ones, however I suspect the pictures of the ordinary soldiers were of lesser interest. They seem to be all over the internet now, but not marked as FHH and so not so easy to find.

http://blog.done.gr/history/hugo-jaeger

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Jaeger

There are some interesting details that I hope might be informative for uniform buffs.

1) Most obvious is the standard 'political' FHH cuffband being worn. The author of German Military cuffbands Gordon Williamson is of the opinion that this was absolutely the norm and the Bevo band is more or less never seen in wartime pictures.

2) The picture is dated 1944 (and the 'M43' tunic shown is according to Borg and Huart in their Feldbluse book not actually seen in wartime pictures until early 1944), yet the FHH had been a Panzergrenadier Division since 20th June 1943 and the soldier shown is wearing white waffenfarbe, not Panzergrenadier grass-green / Wiesengrün. Although this is not discussed widely in publications about this unit, including the otherwise superb 'Feldherrnhalle: Forgotten Elite' (Alfonso Sanchez) book it is mentioned in the recent Osprey Panzergrenadier book (author Nigel Thomas), essentially that the FHH intentionally kept white waffenfarbe for their Panzergrenadiers 'in recognition of their elite status'; i.e similar to the Grossdeutschland panzergrenadiers and perhaps also (in non-Heer units) the Panzergrenadiers of the Waffen SS and the Herman Goring units. This picture would seem to support that.
    (I don't have a link to hand, but I understand from discussions on other forums that some Panzer-Grenadiers in other units absorbed into the FHH as it was increased rapidly to Korps size towards the end of the war kept their grass-green piping, e.g in the Panzer Brigades 106 FHH, 110 FHH etc. Due to the rapid expansion of the FHH at a time when the supply situation was chaotic this seems highly plausible - IMHO.)

3) Although it is generally regarded that only NCO's 'mit portepee' and Officers wore shoulder cyphers this EM wears them. This is the second example I have seen of this. Many are aware that a single example exists (and has been shown on the WAF) of an unfinished EM FHH shoulderstrap with embroidered cypher (i.e GD style, not a slip-on) that was probably (?) a 'probe' example.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...feldherrnhalle - see post #10 (Jim Pool collection)

I have also read that there was an intention to issue metal cyphers to EM ranks in bronze (white metal for NCO's, gilt for officers), but this clearly wasn't at all common (from wartime pictures I've viewed). Perhaps this individual was following regulations in this sense, after all he was possibly photographed on this occasion with senior ranks so it seems unlikely that it was forbidden? Looking at the picture in hand with magnification I would say that he is wearing metal cyphers, probably white metal NCO types, and that they are not embroidered.

4) Early war dark-green shoulderstraps are worn, although this is not particularly unusual, just less common.

5) He has been awarded both EK classes but does not have an Assault badge. I have since noticed that this is not that uncommon, i.e a soldier can have seen combat without actually being in an assault (or counter attack), perhaps where the lines are static, or he has taken part in two (but not the qualifying three) 'highly eventful' assaults. It's also possible that soldiers did not wear their assault badges on every occasion for other reasons (lost, damaged, still awaiting the award etc).

I hope you enjoy it. On another note, no doubt collectors would frown at those shoulderstraps if seen at a militaria fair!

Regards, Paul
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PaulW; 01-16-2019, 10:11 PM.

With regard to EM's (Enlisted Men) not generally wearing cypher's in practice (despite it allegedly being an intention at one point, I believe that the reference is in Sanchez's book), here are some examples:-

(The soldier without a visible cuff-title is from a Death card that stated he died on the Narva front on 28th March 1944 whilst a member of the FHH Panzer-grenadier Division - it might be a uniform from earlier in his career, perhaps he transferred in from another unit but I thought it was worth including.)

Also, on this thread:-

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=983254

you can see in post #2 another two examples where the cypher is absent, as expected (and as normally seen), on stills from a film shot of the unit in September 1943 whilst forming up in France when the 271st Infantry Regiment "FHH" was combined with the remains of the 60th Motorized Division (largely destroyed in Stalingrad) to create the new PzGren Div "FHH".

The above thread also includes further information on the books mentioned earlier.

However, interestingly, I have just spotted another example of an FHH EM (Gefreiter) wearing the cuffband and with a shoulderstrap cypher in Sanchez's book (Forgotten Elite) (page 48). This is the third example I've now noticed. The picture is low quality but appears to be a metal cypher pinned on again, judging from it's size and position, and comparing it to Jim Pool's example.

Attached Files
    Last edited by PaulW; 01-16-2019, 11:52 PM.

Comment

When looking into Hugo Jaeger I came across more pictures which I believe may have been taken at the same time as the first one, and it may even therefore be possible to put an 'earliest' date on the pictures.

See these links:-

http://thirdreichcolorpictures.blogspot.com/

http://thirdreichcolorpictures.blogs...-privates.html

I might be mistaken but the background looks very similar, they are from the same unit and I suspect it is likely that it was all done on the same day. They are 'personalities' and contrast with the young soldier, perhaps he was nearby and Jaeger wanted to show a keen young EM with a (newly?) awarded EK1, who can say?

The Major with the scarred face is Major der Reserve Wilhelm Schöning (who later famously escaped from the Budapest cauldron in 1945 with a small band of FHH soldiers, he was wounded and he begged his men to shoot him and leave him behind but they would not). He later added the Oakleaves to his Knight's Cross.

He is fairly easy to spot as he wears the Romanian 'Order of Michael the Brave' which I don't think was that common:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_...hael_the_Brave

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_Sch%C3%B6ning - Schöning was awarded the Knight's Cross on the 7th February 1944 so the picture is later than that.

I don't know who the Hauptmann with the German Cross in Gold is (without a visible cuffband) but you can just make out his cypher's so I think he is also FHH.

Finally, the Leutnant with the Knight's Cross is Herbert Berger. He was awarded the Knight's Cross on 12th March 1944 as an Oberfeldwebel for actions on the Narva front where the FHH Division had endured a Hellish winter. He has been promoted so it was perhaps some time after this date. (As well as the cuffband he also appears to have the gilt cypher's on his shoulder boards).

From late April 1944 part of the Division was sent back to Elbing in East Prussia to re-equip with "brand new" armoured vehicles and self-propelled artillery. It's possible that these men were in East Prussia when photographed, but equally possible that they are still in Russia with the rest of the Division that was now in reserve for Army Group Centre.

According to this link:-

http://www.ritterkreuztraeger.info/r...er-Herbert.pdf

Herbert Berger was promoted to Leutnant der Reserve on 10th July 1944 which might date the pictures to after that date. However, I wonder if he had been given a field promotion before that 'official' date. This is because the FHH was smashed in late June during the Soviet Bagration offensive starting on 22nd June 1944 and only a few hundred men made it back to German lines (Berger and Schöning were among them), they look a little 'fresh' to have just experienced that? Unless it was sometime later in 1944 when the FHH was again being rebuilt.

Note that they all have white waffenfarbe! I think that is fairly conclusive proof that the FHH Panzergrenadiers did not adopt the grass-green colour (barring the late-war exceptions mentioned earlier).

Attached Files
      Last edited by PaulW; 01-16-2019, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Thanks for very interesting research!

Comment

Originally posted by Stive View Post
          Thanks for very interesting research!
          Thanks Yury.

I found the initial picture of the Gefreiter by chance (others may have been familiar with it but I'd never seen it before) and bought the book ("La Wehrmacht: Uniformes et insignes de l'Armee de terre Allemande - Heer") which is quite nice with some decent pictures in (even though I don't speak fluent French!). I looked online for other versions of the picture in case it had been cropped or the online version was crisper which is when I found the pictures of the three FHH officers, again purely by chance. It's possible that there are more pictures of FHH soldiers taken on the same day out there somewhere, if I find any more I'll add them.

Regarding the officers uniforms I see Major Schöning is wearing a shield but I don't know what it is. Grateful for any thoughts on what it might be?

Also, the other two officers have metal eagles pinned on their M43 caps (I don't think that's unheard of?), which might be gabardine? They also might be wearing converted EM tunics (M36 & M43) too?

All three are wearing sidearms, is this more likely in Russia with partisan 'issues' than if they were in East Prussia among German civilians? Just a thought.

Regards, Paul
          Attached Files

Comment

fhh

paul w.

good sleuthing. thx

Comment

Originally posted by PaulW View Post
              Regarding the officers uniforms I see Major Schöning is wearing a shield but I don't know what it is. Grateful for any thoughts on what it might be?

Regards, Paul
              Hi Paul! The major on a sleeve carries the shield Krim for fights on the Krimean peninsula in 1941-1942 in Russia.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by PaulW View Post

I might be mistaken but the background looks very similar, they are from the same unit and I suspect it is likely that it was all done on the same day.

I have zero doubt they were all taken at the same spot!

Great images and thank you for collecting them all in this thread and your research.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,961 at 05:23 PM on Today.

Working...
                X