Ratisbons

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to re-unite tropical NCO straps with LW tresse with the original tunic ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to re-unite tropical NCO straps with LW tresse with the original tunic ?

Here's a real longshot. Does any member or anyone know who owns these tropical NCO straps with LW tresse ?
    Am asking for help as it may be possible to re-unite the straps with the original POW tunic that they were worn on during the war ?

Please anyone who can help send me a pm, if not a post ?

Thanks
    Tim
    Attached Files

It doesn't appear to be Luftwaffe tress to me, rather the wider Waffenrock tress that has been folded over (which you occasionally see).

Comment

I agree wide pre-war waffenrock tresse that was folded to make it narrower!

Comment

Great strap - nicely field added rank up-grade.
        I hope this works out, Tim!
        I was fortunate to have the original NCO strap set re-united with one of my POW tunics within the last year and that is a fantastic goal. I even have the US underwear he wore and took home with him, from another source.
        Good Luck!
        Mark
        NZ

Comment

Originally posted by OSS View Post
          It doesn't appear to be Luftwaffe tress to me, rather the wider Waffenrock tress that has been folded over (which you occasionally see).
          Yes had wondered about that. The original info years ago stated it was LW tresse and wanted to stay with that lable hoping the owner of the straps would recognize them as such. Actually more interesting to see the rock tresse used on the straps and tunic. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by NickG View Post
            I agree wide pre-war waffenrock tresse that was folded to make it narrower!
            Thanks for confirmation Nick. The jacket also has the same type tresse, only in the shortened version not all the way around the collar.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by NZMark View Post
              Great strap - nicely field added rank up-grade.
              I hope this works out, Tim!
              I was fortunate to have the original NCO strap set re-united with one of my POW tunics within the last year and that is a fantastic goal. I even have the US underwear he wore and took home with him, from another source.
              Good Luck!
              Mark
              NZ
              Hi Mark

Agree the straps are unusual and represent a battlefield promotion. Shortage of tropical tresse, so a substitute used.
              Thats incredible that You were able to re-unite the straps with the POW jacket
              Gives me something to grasp but know it's a "Hail Mary" pass.

The straps and tunic have been separated for some years now. And it's really sad to see that they were separated in the first place as they had been together since the War....

The capitol is there to re-unite them with the POW tunic.
              If anyone can put me in contact with the collector that owns them now i would be very grateful.

cheers
              Tim
              Last edited by Tim O'Keefe; 08-22-2018, 01:58 AM.

Comment

Oddly the tress on the collar IS actually Luftwaffe continental tress (or prewar Heer tress if you prefer). All sorts of improvisation took place in the desert.

Comment

Good luck with the search, I hope you can track them down. I never understood splitting things up like that, especially selling the straps that have obviously been on a tunic forever.
                  I know some collectors that split up pairs, keep the single and try to sell the other single for almost the same price as a pair so they can keep one for free. Seems like pairs are worth more than singles, but if they can get something for free...
                  Maybe same thing happened to this tunic in this case. Sum of the parts were worth more than together?

Comment

Originally posted by OSS View Post
                    Oddly the tress on the collar IS actually Luftwaffe continental tress (or prewar Heer tress if you prefer). All sorts of improvisation took place in the desert.
                    So the original description was correct as it went something like "jacket with LW tresse." No mention of the straps. Yes the supply restrictions in Afrika forced the solders to make do with what was at hand, especially in 1942. Thanks for the additional info.

Comment

Originally posted by galizien41 View Post
                      Good luck with the search, I hope you can track them down. I never understood splitting things up like that, especially selling the straps that have obviously been on a tunic forever.
                      I know some collectors that split up pairs, keep the single and try to sell the other single for almost the same price as a pair so they can keep one for free. Seems like pairs are worth more than singles, but if they can get something for free...
                      Maybe same thing happened to this tunic in this case. Sum of the parts were worth more than together?
                      Thanks for your help. Agree does not make sense historically wise only dollar wise...Sad thing is they may be seperated forever at this point.
                      Splitting up a pair of straps and selling one is just dreadful. Though that does explain some rare singles that are out there like the DAK recon strap from last year ? The straps were worth more seperately than with the tunic played a part in this is likely.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim O'Keefe View Post
                        Splitting up a pair of straps and selling one is just dreadful. Though that does explain some rare singles that are out there like the DAK recon strap from last year ? The straps were worth more seperately than with the tunic played a part in this is likely.

Also keep in mind Tim, Allied soldiers often only removed one strap during the war for the purpose of intelligence and gleaning who they were up against.

Many singles have survived to this day, originally being picked up as a single during the war,

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 90th Light View Post
                          Also keep in mind Tim, Allied soldiers often only removed one strap during the war for the purpose of intelligence and gleaning who they were up against.

Many singles have survived to this day, originally being picked up as a single during the war,

Chris
                          Hi Chris

Yes, missed the bucket on that one. Thanks for your insight and great to see You post

cheers
                          Tim

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X