Billy Kramer

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

German auxiliary cruisers (Hilfskreuzer)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German auxiliary cruisers (Hilfskreuzer)

Good evening everybody !
    Is here anybody who knows something about the maker "Wilhelm" ?
    I've got this badge marked "Ausgef.v.Wilhelm" (Made by Wilhelm).
    I found out there was a factory "Meyer & Wilhelm" in Stuttgart.
    Is Wilhelm propably the maker before or after he was combined with Meyer ?
    Thank you for any information !
    Jo.E.

And the frontside :

Comment

Hi Jo.

Did you buy this badge from Winkler after reading the IMM article?

Skip
      LOOKING FOR ALL ITEMS CONNECTED TO HERBERT SCHOB.

Comment

Skipy I would be very much interested in a copy of that article

KR
        Philippe

Comment

Originally posted by skip
          Hi Jo.

Did you buy this badge from Winkler after reading the IMM article?

Skip
          Negativ ! I never would do such a mistake.

But as you mention the article in the IMM: My badge is made of whitemetal - not bronce and the weight is 28 gr - not 37.
          The other measurements are perfect the same.

Jo.E.

Comment

Originally posted by Philippe DB
            Skipy I would be very much interested in a copy of that article

KR
            Philippe
            Philippe, here it is :

Comment

Is it original?

I often think IMM show basically anything that is not hand carved out of a block of lead. Their partisan badge article being the crowning glory.

Comment

Hi Jo,

Txs for the article. I have to admit that the one I'll post below, the one Winkler had in his update about 3weeks ago, was the first AC by this maker I had ever seen.

I really don't know what to make of this badge and I'm afraid, for me at least, it's impossible to reach a conclusion without handling one. Everything about this badge is very unusual to say the least,

1. The maker and the "AUSGEF" addition
                2. The reverse scoop out
                3. The material that from the pics doesnt look like zinc
                4. The reverse hardware also is quite unique but what I would call a zinc set-up
                4. The rather dark bronze instead of gold finish

Difficult one

KR
                Philippe
                Attached Files

Comment

reverse
                  Attached Files

Comment

mm
                    Attached Files

Comment

Frank this is one for you:

Would AUSGEF stand for "ausgeführt", if that is the case to me that doesn't sound like correct German because "durch" or "von" aren't following it.

I would think "Ausführung" would be the correct way to mark it?

KR
                      Philippe

Comment

Originally posted by Jo.E.
                        "Ausgef.v.Wilhelm" (Made by Wilhelm).

Hi Jo,

Don't know if you mothertongue is German but just noticed that you wrote

"Ausgef .v. Wilhelm"

So with the little "v" you read it as Ausgeführt von (durch) Wilhelm which would be correct. But if we were to read it in such a way the "V" IMO would have followed the "ausgef" and not be sitting on the second line.

KR
                        Philippe

Comment

The badge in the article and Winklers badge are one and the same. If you look at the credits at the end of the article you will see Winklers name mentioned. Lautenschlager (the guy who wrote the article) and Winkler would appear to be good buddy as nearly every article that this guy writes have badges from Winklers site in them.

I have´nt trusted IMM since they put the ball hinge aurich fakes in their PAB article as authentic.

Jo´s is the first other badge of this type I have ever seen. I also do not like the scripting. "Ausgef" is a very strange term to me (Frank?). Also the construction of the rear is not exactly classic german style and white metal against Tombac would also raise red flags for me.

Still, don´t throw it in the bin yet, we may be totally wrong. Stranger things have happened. Any story as to were the badge comes from?

Skip
                          LOOKING FOR ALL ITEMS CONNECTED TO HERBERT SCHOB.

Comment

Hello, i saw this type of badge in 15 years of collecting for the first time at a flee marker in munich 4 months ago .... and imo it's a fake because there were to less auxiliary cruisers out there to be in need of a lot of firms who produces this badge.

We have Juncker, Schwerin and Souval and that's enough. Imo it's the same with the CHOLM shield.

regards

ak
                            Best regards, Andreas

______
                            The Wound Badge of 1939
                            www.vwa1939.com
                            The Iron Cross of 1939- out now!!! Place your orders at:
                            www.ek1939.com

Comment

Hi guys,

"Ausgef." does not sound strange to me, it would be the German translation of the Latin "fecit", found as "fec" e.g. on Imperial U Boat badges by Schott.

"Ausgeführt von" is more appropriate in this context although "Ausgeführt durch" is also grammatically correct but would rather be used in a different context, like "die AUFGABE wurde ausgeführt durch..."

So the mark itself does not sound strange. Btw, we are looking at three different badges here, Kai Winkler´s badge is not the one in the article.

I have never seen or held such a badge so I cannot really comment on its autheticity. It is interesting and I will keep it in mind.

It is true however that IMM articles should be read cautiously.
                              Cheers, Frank

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X