Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Dutch, NSKK 'Trouw' breast-badge

Dear all,

I would like to show you a recent interesting find: a Dutch-, NSB ie. WA/NSKK-related award-document ('Oorkonde') as was issued for the golden-bronze-coloured NSKK 'Trouw' breast-badge.

These attractive badges - showing the Dutch word 'Trouw' (= loyalty) above a tire wherein the 'Wolfshook'-symbol, a German steelhelmet and dagger can be noticed - were awarded to the Dutch volunteers (ie. drivers) who served within the Dutch NSKK ie. 'Gruppe Luftwaffe'. The exact regulation for which actions (or duration) these loyal-service badges were bestowed is regrettably not fully known to date. Presumably did this badge exist in three classes: 'bronze', 'silver' and 'gold'.

The (A5-sized-) document I recently acquired, shows that these badges apparently always came with such an accompanying award-document (in which a 'simplified' illustration of this badge is depicted - as this example).

As can be seen on the document was it handed-out on: '9 November, 1943' to a Dutch (NSKK) volunteer named: 'Jan Noorland'. It shows a (pre-pinted) name: 'Sturmführer' A.P.M. Roozen (who was the second man in the 'Motor-WA') and an ink-stamped signature of the: 'Inspecteur der Motor-WA en Banleider' H. Eman (who was the leader of the 'Motor-WA').

I do know that some years ago there was a 'hoard-find' of several of these badges but most of them were ground-dug and/or damaged and came without pin. Over the years, I acquired several (undamaged and/or non-ground-dug- ie. awarded-) examples but NEVER found such an award-document. I am convinced it is exceedingly rare!

For years, I knew of one example (that is firmly in the collection of my friend Mark Hofstede of www.kurland-docs.com) and that was (incidently ?) also handed-out on the same date ie. '9 November, 1943' to a Dutch (NSKK) volunteer named: 'Obersturmmann' Johan Kemink. I did also photograph Marks' example and have attached a picture of this document as well).

I would be very interested to learn if there are other such neat NSKK 'Trouw' breast-badge award-documents in collections to date….also would any post or new- and additional information regarding these attractive badges be most welcome!

Thanks for your contributions and information!

With best regards,

Coco (Mario)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Coco; 05-04-2017, 03:26 AM.
    Pls. have also a look at my web-site: www.hiscoll.com

sigpic

The other document....

The other document....
    Attached Files

sigpic

Comment

Dear all,

In my collection I also have a few photographs showing this badge in wear....it concerns the same 'Rottenführer' (of which I have several photos, proudly wearing his badge).
      I also wanted to share these with you....

Enjoy,

Coco (Mario)
      Attached Files

sigpic

Comment

Attached Files

sigpic

Comment

The Dutch NSKK 'Trouw'-breast-badge

I found the following additional information on the web-site https://axis101.bizland.com/DutchAwards5.htm and thought it of interest to also post it hereunder:

"The NSKK 'Trouw' breast-badge was to be bestowed upon those persons who showed exceptional service in the Motor-W.A. The volunteers in the Dutch NSKK could also be awarded the honour-badge if they showed great courage, loyalty and/or fidelity. The award came in three classes: Bronze, Silver and Gold.

The inspector of the ‘Motor-W.A.’, Banleider Eman, made the final decision on who was to be awarded one of the classes, but only after consulting the leading liaison-officer at the NSKK-Gruppe Luftwaffe. The rendering of the badge took place twice a year in the case of the bronze-class award: on the 11th of May and the 9th of November. In between these dates a person could only be awarded one of the badges in very particular cases and in exceptional circumstances. For example, in the case of the silver-class, ‘Banleider’ Eman decided that this grade was only to be awarded in very exceptional cases hence the rarity of the badge.

The badge is die-struck and is made of an alloy composed of bronze-toned-, copper-based metal. In the front center the badge shows the Dutch party emblem (or: "wolfs-hook") with a German helmet on the left side and a sword facing-down on its right side. The background shows a transport-tire with an inscription "TROUW" (Dutch for loyalty) on its top. The hollow-back badge shows a Belgium-styled "C"-catch and thin-shaped- (also Belgium-) styled pin. The badge measures 46.8mm x 51.2mm.

Also recent information has surfaced thanks to my Dutch colleague Alex Dekker who is currently writing a book on Dutch Volunteers and who has kindly provided the following information taken from his book. According to the Dutch published NSKK-news-paper entitled: 'Alles sal reg kom’ (ie. ‘1e jaargang, extra nummer, dated: ‘November 1943') the qualifications for the bronze-class award were as follows:

1. For those who served in the winter of 1941-1942, from November continuously for 6 months in Russia. The persons that were also entitled to the German "Winterschlacht" (Eastern Front) medal.

2. The men who were wounded during service in the battle for Milorowo, bearers of the German "Verwundetenabzeichen" (or: wound-badge).

3. The men who voluntary applied for the "Wachtkommando" (ie. guard-duty) in Makajewka.

The silver-class was to be awarded only during Christmas. The names of the persons who were considered for this award were submitted for approval to the Dutch liaison-staff.
          The gold-class seems not to have been awarded, however, the criteria for this grade are not known.

Those NSKK-members who thought that they would deserve the medal, should apply at the staff-offices located in Brussels, Belgium and Utrecht, Holland.

It should be noted that the towns Miloworo and Makajewka were the key-cities during the siege for Stalingrad and in both these cities the NSKK had to provide ammunition and food for the 6th Army (which was supplied by air) and the armies who had to break open the Kessel."
          Last edited by Coco; 05-04-2017, 03:54 AM.

sigpic

Comment

I have in my collection a single and complete specimen of this rarely seen NSKK-front news-paper: 'Alles zal reg kom' (which is mentioned in the post above).

Regrettably, is it not the referred-to example of November, 1943 but is IMO still of interest to show it here.

As can be seen does it also show an illustration of the 'Trouw'-breast-badge in its heading....
            Attached Files

sigpic

Comment

Hereby my (non-ground-dug-) example of a bronze-class award as executed in copper-based metal:
              Attached Files

sigpic

Comment

Hereby my (non-ground-dug-) example of a bronze-class award as executed in zinc-based metal (ie. 'Feinzink'):
                Attached Files

sigpic

Comment

Another (although-ground-dug-) example of a bronze-class award as executed in copper-based metal:
                  Attached Files

sigpic

Comment

I was very fortunate to hold this document for the first time and I was very impressed. The photographic evidence of this award in wear makes it even better

I wish I could contribute with anything from my collection too but euhm I lack these beautiful pieces at the moment.

Looking forwards to this thread!!
                    Kind regards,
                    Giel

Check out our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Giels-Milit...5292741243193/

Comment

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

NSKK badge in wear

Hello all!

Here another picture of an NSKK man with the honour badge in wear!
                        Attached Files

Comment

close-up NSKK badge

And in close-up!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Coco View Post
                            I found the following additional information on the web-site https://axis101.bizland.com/DutchAwards5.htm and thought it of interest to also post it hereunder:

"The NSKK 'Trouw' breast-badge was to be bestowed upon those persons who showed exceptional service in the Motor-W.A. The volunteers in the Dutch NSKK could also be awarded the honour-badge if they showed great courage, loyalty and/or fidelity. The award came in three classes: Bronze, Silver and Gold.

The inspector of the ‘Motor-W.A.’, Banleider Eman, made the final decision on who was to be awarded one of the classes, but only after consulting the leading liaison-officer at the NSKK-Gruppe Luftwaffe. The rendering of the badge took place twice a year in the case of the bronze-class award: on the 11th of May and the 9th of November. In between these dates a person could only be awarded one of the badges in very particular cases and in exceptional circumstances. For example, in the case of the silver-class, ‘Banleider’ Eman decided that this grade was only to be awarded in very exceptional cases hence the rarity of the badge.

The badge is die-struck and is made of an alloy composed of bronze-toned-, copper-based metal. In the front center the badge shows the Dutch party emblem (or: "wolfs-hook") with a German helmet on the left side and a sword facing-down on its right side. The background shows a transport-tire with an inscription "TROUW" (Dutch for loyalty) on its top. The hollow-back badge shows a Belgium-styled "C"-catch and thin-shaped- (also Belgium-) styled pin. The badge measures 46.8mm x 51.2mm.

Also recent information has surfaced thanks to my Dutch colleague Alex Dekker who is currently writing a book on Dutch Volunteers and who has kindly provided the following information taken from his book. According to the Dutch published NSKK-news-paper entitled: 'Alles sal reg kom’ (ie. ‘1e jaargang, extra nummer, dated: ‘November 1943') the qualifications for the bronze-class award were as follows:

1. For those who served in the winter of 1941-1942, from November continuously for 6 months in Russia. The persons that were also entitled to the German "Winterschlacht" (Eastern Front) medal.

2. The men who were wounded during service in the battle for Milorowo, bearers of the German "Verwundetenabzeichen" (or: wound-badge).

3. The men who voluntary applied for the "Wachtkommando" (ie. guard-duty) in Makajewka.

The silver-class was to be awarded only during Christmas. The names of the persons who were considered for this award were submitted for approval to the Dutch liaison-staff.
                            The gold-class seems not to have been awarded, however, the criteria for this grade are not known.

Those NSKK-members who thought that they would deserve the medal, should apply at the staff-offices located in Brussels, Belgium and Utrecht, Holland.

It should be noted that the towns Miloworo and Makajewka were the key-cities during the siege for Stalingrad and in both these cities the NSKK had to provide ammunition and food for the 6th Army (which was supplied by air) and the armies who had to break open the Kessel."

Hi Mario you got the information from my site glad it help. Cograts on a very interesting and rare document first time I've seen one.

Rene Chavez
                            www.axis101.bizland.com
                            www.foreignvolunteerlegion.com

Comment

Dear Rene,

Thanks for kind reaction! I should of course have asked your prior agreement when using your text...sorry for this! We know eachother since long so I thought it okay...your website is one of those superb places where to find such information!

Keep up the good work!

With best regards,

Coco (Mario)

sigpic

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X