Ebay SA tabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ebay SA tabs

I know that every once in awhile a good single or set of tabs run across ebay. This guy here though has been consistently pumping out fakes for quite awhile now and it really aggrevates me though I know there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. Just want to warn any other collectors who see this guys stuff and think about wasting their hard earned $$ on this junk.

http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?sid=akm...&isRefine=true

Sydney

Thanks for sharing this heads-up, Sydney! Indeed, he's posting such low reserves that one would think that his stuff couldn't be original to the period...but others might think that a bargain could be had here! And as we both know, there ain't no such thing as a 'real bargain' in our hobby!!

Cheers, my friend,

Br. James

Comment

Everything this guy is selling is fake. I have no doubt that he has someone making the SA tabs for him.

Comment

Tabs

Good catch, Sydney!!
        These would fool many collectors, since most people today don't know how to chain-stitch very well. Not a bad job.........but the guy that made these is really stupid. They aren't constructed this way........there WERE hand chain-stitched tabs, but most were done on a machine by hand, and I believe sometimes a template may have been used.......regardless......most all were done on a chain-stitching machine, sometimes going thru both buckrum and wool....sometimes just the wool. An odd-ball tab may have slipped through, but the same oddball characteristics on every tab?......NO....I don't think so.

PS: I just contacted the schmuck, and told him that the collectors here admired his creativity and resourcefulness, and appreciated his making collar tabs
        for the SA, but that, sadly.......the SA no longer exists, so the need for such items rests solely in the militaria community. I explained how we're really picky, and that........call us weird, but we generally prefer items that were manufactured prior to 1946.
        There IS an outside chance that he bought these from another source, and was fooled himself.......no way to know.
        But this should spook him enough to make him stop the scam.
        Last edited by sgstandard; 01-16-2017, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ETN View Post
          Everything this guy is selling is fake. I have no doubt that he has someone making the SA tabs for him.
          I absolutely think he has someone making him tabs. He's somewhat smart about how he does it. He doesnt constantly keeps them coming in but just every few weeks.

Thanks for sending the nasty-gram, Hobie! Unfortunately this guy makes decent enough fakes that would easily fool a new collector or someone who hasn't studied them. It doesnt take but just a few glances to point out all the issues.

For those interested in keepinf an eye on his work, you have to search "pre WWII german collar tabs"

Sydney

Comment

Fake Tabs

First of all..........there IS the possibility the guy bought them, thinking they were real, but that is very remote, since he's turnin' em over like a dealer. I wanted to keep that in mind, to be fair.....
            HE KNOWS ABOUT THE FORUM, APPARENTLY, AND CALLED IT A "JOKE"....says he bought several large collections, and collected over 20 years......
            SAID: "Don't litter my inbox with hateful comments"......I TRIED to warn him, but he's defiant, and I told him that the members here WILL report him.
            The reason that I know he's guilty, was because HE NEVER WAS CURIOUS HOW WE KNEW THEY WERE ALL FAKE !! If I posted an item and everyone said it was crap, I'd demand to know why, and how they know that.
            He's banking on the fact that E-bay doesn't know a collar tab from a typewriter tab.
            AND HE THINKS YOU GUYS ARE A "JOKE".
            Tsk, tsk.........naughty little faker.
            PS: He'll be on here in no time, to see what's cooking...........
            If you see, "Durango, Colorado", that's HIM!!

Comment

Originally posted by sgstandard View Post
              First of all..........there IS the possibility the guy bought them, thinking they were real, but that is very remote, since he's turnin' em over like a dealer. I wanted to keep that in mind, to be fair.....
              HE KNOWS ABOUT THE FORUM, APPARENTLY, AND CALLED IT A "JOKE"....says he bought several large collections, and collected over 20 years......
              SAID: "Don't litter my inbox with hateful comments"......I TRIED to warn him, but he's defiant, and I told him that the members here WILL report him.
              The reason that I know he's guilty, was because HE NEVER WAS CURIOUS HOW WE KNEW THEY WERE ALL FAKE !! If I posted an item and everyone said it was crap, I'd demand to know why, and how they know that.
              He's banking on the fact that E-bay doesn't know a collar tab from a typewriter tab.
              AND HE THINKS YOU GUYS ARE A "JOKE".
              Tsk, tsk.........naughty little faker.
              PS: He'll be on here in no time, to see what's cooking...........
              If you see, "Durango, Colorado", that's HIM!!
              Well there are plenty of large collections that are completely overrun with fakes. Will be interesting to see how it works out for him because at this point, hes making a pretty good return.

Comment

Tabs

If the guy has been collecting SA stuff for over 20 years, and didn't notice the same discrepancies on every tab, then he's not very bright.
                He showed no interest in knowing why we called them fake. The only tab that DOESN'T have this discrepancy, is the brown tab with Life-Rune, and even that one doesn't conform to regulations. The life rune was either gold or silver metal, not embroidered on the tab. the fact that all the other tabs are bogus, sheds a poor light on ANY collar tab he's selling.
                The guy's a schmuck.

Comment

Some of the copies are modeled after examples in the Fuller book, but in each case the wrong materials are used. The chain stitch is hand done but not very well.
                  Erich
                  Festina lente!

Comment

Tabs

E-bay won't do a damn thing, even if he's reported......they'll consider it a "he said, she said" thing, and wouldn't know who to believe.
                    IMO, from his reaction, he's doing it knowingly.....the "large collections" story is baloney.....it's too bad you can't contact the buyers of his stuff.

Comment

Well we know that they are fake and hopefully some of the people buying these will run across this forum and post them and we can break the unfortunate news to them.

Comment

Back the (Ebay) day ...

back in the Ebay day you could contact the bidders since ebay posted their full ebay ID name. You could easily warn bidders about a defective item. Then it was suddenly changed and ebay claimed it to protect the privacy of bidders.

Comment

Fake Tabs

When I contacted him, honest to God......... I told him, "It's a wonderful idea and gesture for you to help supply the SA with accoutrements, now that the local RZM
                          store went belly up.......I also informed him that the SA unfortunately no longer existed, and call us crazy, but the collecting community tends to prefer items made before 1946." He didn't dig the humor, though

Comment

Originally posted by sgstandard View Post
                            When I contacted him, honest to God......... I told him, "It's a wonderful idea and gesture for you to help supply the SA with accoutrements, now that the local RZM
                            store went belly up.......I also informed him that the SA unfortunately no longer existed, and call us crazy, but the collecting community tends to prefer items made before 1946." He didn't dig the humor, though
                            There is a clear reason he is selling them on Ebay, on a good forum theyd be easily spotted as fakes, why would he pay ebay selling fees rather than no fees on here

Comment

Originally posted by luftwaffe blue View Post
                              There is a clear reason he is selling them on Ebay, on a good forum theyd be easily spotted as fakes, why would he pay ebay selling fees rather than no fees on here
                              Ebay seller fees do cut into the profit but things sell for so much more then they should because of the bidding war that it may not really matter.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X