"Scharnhorst" and "Kriegsmarine" tally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Scharnhorst" and "Kriegsmarine" tally

Hi, I got them today, would like to ask for your opinion about them.

Thanks for comments!
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Well, your Scharnhorst is a full length which is a good sign. However, the two tallies shown have me a bit concerned.
              Previously, you had posted a lovely cotton version of the Panzerschiff Graf Spee. You will note the jacquard loom that created this had the reverse stitching with a bit more thread, creating almost a little loops. These don't seem to have this. Now I am not saying that these are bad. There is much to learn and study. Hopefully DaniF or Gensui (Chris), CSForrester (Markus) or John Robinson can help shed some more light.
              For the mean time, I would say I am a bit cautions, but I could be overreacting.

Regards,
              JustinG

Comment

I agree with Justin. The reverse looks strange and quite different from the original cotton one used in this comparison.

Best regards,
                ---Norm
                Attached Files

Comment

The one discussed in this previous thread, http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=800573, also has the atypical tiny loops at the upper edges of the reverse of the lettering, but it seems different again from m-e-h-t's tally.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Norm F; 11-12-2015, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Fake "Kriegsmarine" tally previously posted by glaser. Again the tiny loops.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Fake Graf Spee tally, previously posted by Justin. Same tiny loops...
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
                        Fake Graf Spee tally, previously posted by Justin. Same tiny loops...
                        I bought this same tally very cheap as an example of fakes to examine the construction, for me all these small loop are treat as fake. Two other pointers which I look out for on cotton tallies which in my opinion are rarer than the metal equivalent are as follows:

Unless unissued mint there is usually a slight colour difference between the front and back due to colour fading, this is a good indication of age.

Another thing I like to see is that the thread on the reverse is slightly twisted, I have not seen this on repros as yet which have all the very fine threads loose
                        Regards, Rob
                        Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Comment

Any dot like appearance at the top of the reverse threads should be considered reproductions, probably for the souvenir market.

I think both of the original posted tallies are reproductions for sale in shops in Germany, maybe near museums or museum ships.

John

Comment

Both those tallies are bad. The Scharnhorst tally is making the rounds of the shows currently. I first saw it in March of last year in LA. Since then I've seen it at least three other times. So many available is not ever a good sign.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X