The butcher from Wurtemberg...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The butcher from Wurtemberg...

It’s been a long time since I bought a bayonet, especially a S98/05nA (Seitengewehr model 1898/1905 neuer Art). Here in Belgium they are rather common but most of the time they are in not so good condition.
    This one was found with the frog and Wurtemberg NCO trodl. It has a double makers stamps, all acceptance stamps but no year stamp or crowned letter to indicate the state.
    As often seen with bayonets that resided in old collections, there’s a little hole in the frog. These guys just nailed them to the wall because there was still enough of those things out there…
    The blade is still in almost mint condition, exept it has been sharpened in a very crude way… but it’s super sharp for a bayonet! During the war the bayonets were mostly sharpened, certainly in a combat zone. It’s a pitty though that the grinder didn’t take more care for that.
    All in all, I thought this is still a nice bayonet and it would fit nicely with my Wurtenberg NCO’s equipment…

Adler 1

Fabulous bayonet , shame about the sharpening but if it was sharpened for use then thats its history . Rob
    God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Hello,

Awesome piece. I love the Ulm/Neu Ulm area and that is my collecting focus. Hans Romer was still in Business in 1980 when I was stationed there. He made Leather goods for the Feuerwehr. He made leather goods throughout WWII and I think they shut there doors in early 2000.

With the supply system the way it was This bayonet could have belonged to a number of units too include IR120,123,127 out of Ulm.

Great find!!

Fred

Comment

Fantastic bayonet nice stamps.

Comment

Hello,

S98/05 service bayonet with a bad sharped blade...

The knot is a personal piece... does not match with a service bayonet.

The frog is a total Fake / Reproduction. Typical with a BAM stamp on the backside....

Regards

Comment

Excellent bayonet!

-Jeremy

Comment

Thanks for your comments gentlemen!

Hello,

S98/05 service bayonet with a bad sharped blade...

The knot is a personal piece... does not match with a service bayonet.

The frog is a total Fake / Reproduction. Typical with a BAM stamp on the backside....
              When an NCO had a rifle and bayonet, what kind of trodl would he have? I think the rifle and bayonet were issued as you say and the trodl is private purchase. No problem or is it?
              Reproduction... good lord, I'll stick to helmets in the future then...

Adler

Comment

The Unteroffizierstroddel of the Königrich Württemberg is original... but a not a service knot... it is a privite. Buyed by the soldir privite und worn together wth a walking out bayonet.

The service knot is made out of other materials, has a outher look and is more robust.

Comment

Frog is original WW1. BAM does not signify reproduction. ..I believe it to be a WW2 RAD marking.

Comment

Thank you gentlemen! Now it's becoming difficult... Two different opinions and both seem to be convinced. Any other thoughts?

Adler 1

Comment

The frog is totaly new made... a very know fake out of eurpe... and often sold

BAM 9 30 is wrong... and very funny... 1930 a RAD not extist

Comment

My understanding is that private purchase knots were worn to combat fronts by reservists NCO and reservist one year volunteers who had trained before 1914 They were mobilised as NCO's in 1914 and 1915. The issued type bayonet knots were not plentiful at that time and some NCO's favoured the private purchase type as a mark of rank/ distinction. Thus they used what they could get or preferred,

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 90th Light View Post
                          My understanding is that private purchase knots were worn to combat fronts by reservists NCO and reservist one year volunteers who had trained before 1914 They were mobilised as NCO's in 1914 and 1915. The issued type bayonet knots were not plentiful at that time and some NCO's favoured the private purchase type as a mark of rank/ distinction. Thus they used what they could get or preferred,

Chris

Oh no...

please have a look at the german regulations...

private bought knots, frogs and bayonets were worn for walking out reasons... not in service.

For service the soldiers get these equipment out of the army storage.

Regards

Comment

whats THAT?

Excuse me gentlemen, i have to distract this discussion for a moment. On the very first PIC at the very bottom of this post: what is that camo painted THING the elderly soldier has standing by him????????

Comment

Maybe some extra pictures of the frog could clear up its a fake or Original ?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X