Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first EM M43

Hi Guys

I would like to share some pictures of my latest addition right off the e-stand. I have been after a M43 for some time now and was happy to be able to add this one to my collection. It has been shown before and although my pictures are not the best I want to share some pictures of it again with everyone

Thanks to John as well for a great deal

Barry
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Last pictures showing the inside. Thanks for looking and all comments welcome.

Barry
      Attached Files

Comment

Rare maker, very nice cap....enjoy it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy C. View Post
          Rare maker, very nice cap....enjoy it!!
          Whos the maker?

Are there more examples you can share of this rare maker?

Comment

Hello Daniel, Let me clarify what I meant....it's just rare to see a makers stamp in a M43.

Comment

Originally posted by barry1954 View Post
              Hi Guys

I would like to share some pictures of my latest addition right off the e-stand. I have been after a M43 for some time now and was happy to be able to add this one to my collection. It has been shown before and although my pictures are not the best I want to share some pictures of it again with everyone

Thanks to John as well for a great deal

Barry
              Hello Barry.

How does the wool and wear to it look compared to the lining?

How does the insignia look to you compare to the outside of the cap?

//Daniel.

Comment

Hi Andy and Daniel

Thanks for the comments. The wool does look more worn than the interior but I read on a earlier thread on this cap that it was constructed of recycled wool and I am by no means a expert so I am not 100% certain if it is storage ware, the recycled wool texture or from use. Maybe others can offer more input on that point?

The insignia on the front sits well and on the right side has 'sunken' into the wool and sits underneath the top surface. This is similar to the insignia of a M43 tunic I own. It does look 'newer' when compared to the sides etc but the front wool is even in appearance and 'wear' if I can call it that.

Here is some extra info on the cap from Lenny who once owned it along with a thread going back to 2007-

Landes-Lieferungs
                Genossenschaft (city/region Wurttemberg) the textile industry, which formerly dominated much of the region, has now all but disappeared from Baden-Württemberg. also size stamped 58 which i can barley make out, the t type insignia has a little wear and toning to the white area on the cockade which you cant see i think the flash may have went off in that picture,its a killer cap made of recycled late war wool,and has all bias material ect ect.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=249019

I highly respect the opinions of some of the members who commented on the thread when it was originally posted which helped me pull the trigger on this one as I knew they were a minefield to start off with and out of my collecting focus.

As always I appreciate the comments and look forward to further discussion if needed.

Barry

Comment

The bad quality latewar wool explains the look of the cap, ive seen unused tunics that look like relics as the nap just falls off in places because of the bad quality of wool.

But....

Then why would they stamp a latewar cap with that stamp, with blue ink?....which someone obviously also spilled.

Im just curious here, as maker marks in such a latewar cap seems strange...

Comment

Hi Daniel

I had a better look at the outside material today and the look is definitely uniform all over so that is down to the quality of the wool used for manufacture. I have a EM sidecap back in SA that is 1940 dated if I remember correctly and the stamp is a mess so I would not rule out what looks to be a ink mark in a period cap.

Are you saying the blue colour of the ink is a problem? I can also not comment about there being an older style maker mark vs RB #. Andy called it rare seeing a makers stamp so they must be out there? I am not that familiar with later war caps so hopefully one the M43 experts can chime in here

Barry

Comment

Nice one Barry. You don't have to worry about it. J

Comment

A fine original with some staining
                        Give a man an opinion and you feed him for a day,
                        teach a man to use the "search" function on the WAF and you feed him for a lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by barry1954 View Post
                          Andy called it rare seeing a makers stamp so they must be out there?
                          Barry
                          and thats what is my point.....

Im curious if latewar caps were stamped this way...i have not seen one yet, they all are Rbn stamped.

I collect these caps and i have a big interest in them, so if i see one that "stands out"
                          i get interested in knowing more.

Everyone says its a nice original, but noone can explain (yet) that stamping in such a latewar cap, also the use of that ink.

Here is another example which obiviously posters in this thread also liked :

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=805036

Everyone jumps on the bandwagon calling it an original, noone want to talk about some differences (thick lining etc etc) ......come on!!! this is what this forum is for.

Right now the originality of a item depends who give opinions first and most just jumps on the bandwagon after......many probably gives opinions on M43 caps while never ever having owned one..

I like your cap, but are there more latewar caps with early way of stamping out there? THIS is whats im after!!

I have passed on original items before because i was not sure and then kicking myself for that, i would probably pass on your cap too beacuse of the stamps.

Will i make a misstake when i get offered one? ....this i what i want to find out.

Comment

It's not maker marked, it's LAGO marked and that's quite different.

Here's a 1944 dated Pz M43 that is also LAGO marked.

http://www.virtualgrenadier.com/sale_item.php?iid=1656

Comment

Originally posted by BenVK View Post
                              It's not maker marked, it's LAGO marked and that's quite different.

Here's a 1944 dated Pz M43 that is also LAGO marked.

http://www.virtualgrenadier.com/sale_item.php?iid=1656
                              Looking at the discussion a few collectors belive it to be a reproduction.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X