Himmler: The decent one on the BBC iPlayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Himmler: The decent one on the BBC iPlayer

This was shown last night in the UK and although I am only 15 minutes in it looks very promising.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...the-decent-one

Himmler: The decent one

Through previously undiscovered private letters, photos and diaries that were found in the Himmler family house in 1945, this documentary exposes a unique and at times uncomfortable access to the life and mind of the merciless 'architect of the Final Solution', Heinrich Himmler. Himmler writes, 'In life one must always be decent, courageous and kind-hearted'. How can a man be a hero in his own eyes and a mass murderer in the eyes of the world?

The text of the film consists exclusively of original documents from Himmler's lifetime, combined with news and personal archive from sources ranging from the descendants of top Nazis to working-class individuals. It forms a unique portrait of one the most prominent figures of the Third Reich, the SS commander Heinrich Himmler.

this was a fascinating programme , top tv indeed ,I was amazed at even though he was the Reichsfuhrer he was either too stingy or not rich enough to give his family and mistress expensive gifts ! Did his adopted son Gerhard ever write a memoir I wonder?

Comment

I watched this and was totally absorbed for the whole 90 minutes!

Great stuff!

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Woolgar View Post
        I watched this and was totally absorbed for the whole 90 minutes!

Great stuff!

Nick
        I watched it also, there was some superb film footage in great quality and pictures of Himmler I had never seen before, only issue I had was it was completely in sub-titles, by the time I read them I couldn't absorb the film footage properly, will watch it again !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Totenhead View Post
          I watched it also, there was some superb film footage in great quality and pictures of Himmler I had never seen before, only issue I had was it was completely in sub-titles, by the time I read them I couldn't absorb the film footage properly, will watch it again !!!
          I felt the same. My eyes and brain couldn't keep up! Really good tv though.

Comment

It was entertaining in its way with new footage and a good imitation of Himmlers distinctive accent, but to quote a good friend, the newsreel clips would have been better without the voice overs , the propoganda technique was insidious, getting the viewer accustomed to the movie, then slipping in things which were without telling (a) what they were (b) where they came from.
            There was a shooting them scene at the end of a long trench with lots of people in uniforms, we assumed they were Himmlers men (they weren't ) and it was the Jews (probably ditto) More likely RAOL
            Did you spot how they surreptitiously blame Himmler for the pogrom of November 11th 1938?
            He was in fact furious at Goebbels handiwork.
            Marga only commented on the jews once or twice in her letters and diary: this Judenpack, she said, when will they ever leave?

Comment

I watched it today after recording it.

I found it very interesting. Perhaps the family man but also evil organiser theme could have been diluted slightly more with some of the wartime writings.

I was not fully aware of the adopted son Gebhard and his relationship with the Himmler family.

Comment

Originally posted by Totenhead View Post
                Originally posted by darrenbate View Post
                I felt the same. My eyes and brain couldn't keep up! Really good tv though.
                Ditto...

Comment

Excellent TV

A rare thing today...quality TV, absolutely fascinating and well put together.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X