Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M-43 Cap

Hello, POL forum members, how are you?

I've posted here but a few times as my expertise based on this subject is not exactly my territory.

Anyhow, any chance for some back up supporting guidance with this item please. I took a chance here as I have enough reach for basics in hat collecting along with my independent research.

The hat is on the way so I will take some more pictures of the unclear areas, inner grommets etc. I have seen a few examples in this material post war but in a very higher quality and construction unlike this.

I'm very comfortable with it at this point and have no problem of negative comments. mainly would like to know if I'm missing something here defining as pre 45.

Thanks for your time and expertise.

-Ray-
    Attached Files
    Last edited by -Ray-; 12-03-2014, 08:51 PM.

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Intending to display with this tunic from my collection

-Ray-
        Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

Your cap is made from police mottled green cotton for use with the summer tunic. Mottled caps are rare. They were worn with a tunic of the same material. Some like to call this material 1st pattern paratroop cotton, but I am of the opinion that it was primarily and originally a traditional civil service summer material. It is still used in Austria as I have a suit of almost exactly the same cotton.

Now the problem is the fact that this material was used both pre and post war, at least for some limited time during the occupation. I generally don't like caps with reinforcing thread on the brim, which is characteristic of post war caps. However, on a cotton cap this might have been required to keep it in shape, I am not sure. I do not feel that this is a fatal error.

My opinion is that it is an original piece. You can argue about grommets and stitching until you are blue in the face and it means nothing when it comes to privately sourced civil police items. Police items were NOT depot contracted and were made and purchased locally so a huge number of variations exist.

I am not fond of the insignia or buttons. These may be collector added, but it does not devalue such a rarely seen cap. These caps would have been used throughout the NS-zeit, particularly pre-war when cops had money to buy undress uniforms. You could display with your HBt tunic. It would go nicer with a same material tunic.

Regards,
          William Unland
          Last edited by W.Unland; 12-03-2014, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Ray,

for what its worth I really liked the cap when I saw it. It's a bit unusual and Bill points out everthing I would have said about it and much better than I probably would have. I would have it in my collection with no issues, think you did well. Matt

Comment

W. Unland and Matt:

Thanks for taking the time for your comments, expertise, and to all other viewing members.

Furthermore, appreciate you providing so much data and the PM as well Mr. Unland which I have been further educated in conjunction with my study, your guidance is well articulated in key points of discussion.

Of note; all the geometric POL insignia I have researched as originally applied with confidence , most have been machine stitched on the top side.

-Ray-

Comment

Good news Ray! Congrats on the acquisition
                Nick!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X