Hi Igor
        Thanks for a fast reply, anyone else
        Regards
        Rishoej

Comment

Beautiful Schickle with that typical wide hinge
          Kind regards,
          Giel

Check out our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Giels-Milit...5292741243193/

Comment

Excellent example of a Schickle U-boat in tombak with typical Shickle hinge.

John

Comment

I agree. A very nice early badge, Type 2.1 in the Schickle classification and Type 4.1.2 in the comprehensive U-Boat classification.

Best regards,
              ---Norm

Comment

Big Thanks to all, there was a member who didnd liked it, so i´m happy
                it is 100% textbook
                Best regards
                Rishoej

Comment

I don´t see any problems here, nice original

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by rishoej View Post
                    Big Thanks to all, there was a member who didnd liked it, so i´m happy
                    it is 100% textbook
                    Best regards
                    Rishoej
                    It is 100%, do not worry about that nice badge. John

Comment

Thanks John, i´m happy
                      Best regards
                      Rishoej

Comment

If you get the chance, if you could get an accurate weight on that badge, in grams, like to add it to our database of statistics.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
                          I agree. A very nice early badge, Type 2.1 in the Schickle classification and Type 4.1.2 in the comprehensive U-Boat classification.

Best regards,
                          ---Norm
                          I agree. Very nice
                          Cheers,
                          Hubert

Comment

Hi guys, I'm the odd man out here I'm afraid. I purchased this badge from Per but have returned it. Ever seen a badge you like the look of from the pics but then thought there was something odd about it once you handle it? That's how I felt about this badge. The pics look fine but it didn't look or feel right in the hand, I measured the badge and the width and height come in ok compared to the dimensions in Gordon Williamsons book. I took the thickness of the badge from several different angles and it was no thicker then 2.5 grams at any point. The weight of the badge came in at 17.7 grams, that's light even for a Zimmermann type badge and the Schickle is supposedly 21.3grams in weight. I have u boat badges by ten or so different makers, all of these badges come in at no more then a gram in weights difference plus or minus for the typical weights shown in Torpedo Los! (I hope that makes sense) 3.6g seems a big discrepancy. The badge also has a coppery sheen to it that isn't apparent in the photographs that I wasn't happy with, could be some sort of oxidation process with the gilt but I've never seen it before. It could be that this badge is ok in which case I've missed out, I'm no expert on this subject but my gut feeling said pass on this one, cheers,

Paul

Comment

Hi Paul,

I think your observations are correct but that is in fact the case with these early badges. I don't have one but John has one of these and I believe will corroborate that they feel very light-weight and insubstantial compared with later badges.

Think of it as a transition piece between the even thinner and more rare hollow version and the later, more "standard", thicker badges. Obviously Schickle had abandoned this approach by the time he started on Destroyers and Minesweepers since these don't appear in the thinner production. There were 8 months between the introductions of the U-Boat badge (October, 1939) and the Destroyer badge (June, 1940), and I expect that these thin Schickles were among the earliest production within that time period.

This example is inscribed "1939".

Best regards,
                              ---Norm
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X