X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 G.R.J 99 gebirgsjäger ice axe

Hello folks.
    This is my gebirgsjäger ice axe.
    Long 80 cm,marked stubai in diamond,with a very nice 1 Division and 99 Regiment stamps.
    I hope you like it.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Sweet..
        This is a very nice an good ice axe.
        It's difficult today to find a good axe.

Comment

Thank you very much.

Comment

Congrats very nice

Comment

Originally posted by TRAPJAW View Post
              Long 80 cm,marked stubai in diamond,with a very nice 1 Division and 99 Regiment stamps.
              Hi TRAPJAW, this is a nice looking axe. I have some comments, but I don't consider myself an expert in this area, so please don't take these comments as critical - I'm just trying to learn more.

1 - I don't think it would be accurate to say "1 Division", even though the 99th was definitely within the 1st Division. Instead, I would suspect that this was from the 1st Company of the 99th Regiment. That is the more typical way items were marked.

2 - I am always suspect of anything that is unit marked. They certainly did mark things, but when I'm purchasing something I have to wonder if someone is trying to make the item more valuable. Yours looks like it as been stamped a long time ago. What other evidence do you have of its originality?

3 - Where do you see the length (80 cm) marked?

4 - What do you know of the use of the wrist strap? I've seen many with and many without.

5 - What features do you look for to either verify or exclude its Wehrmacht issue (besides the unit stamp of course).

Thanks, Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Gebirgsjgr View Post
                Hi TRAPJAW, this is a nice looking axe. I have some comments, but I don't consider myself an expert in this area, so please don't take these comments as critical - I'm just trying to learn more.

1 - I don't think it would be accurate to say "1 Division", even though the 99th was definitely within the 1st Division. Instead, I would suspect that this was from the 1st Company of the 99th Regiment. That is the more typical way items were marked.

2 - I am always suspect of anything that is unit marked. They certainly did mark things, but when I'm purchasing something I have to wonder if someone is trying to make the item more valuable. Yours looks like it as been stamped a long time ago. What other evidence do you have of its originality?

3 - Where do you see the length (80 cm) marked?

4 - What do you know of the use of the wrist strap? I've seen many with and many without.

5 - What features do you look for to either verify or exclude its Wehrmacht issue (besides the unit stamp of course).

Thanks, Matt
                Thank you for your comment!
                1 - Unit mark...what you say is possible, but i'm most convinced that this is the first division 99 regiment.

2 - I pay this axe 100 euro and I buy it from Germany,as almost all of the objects in my collection I do not know the exact origin.
                I'm more 'suspicious on the mark on the wood,like the famous GJR 137 ice axe.
                These molds are certainly very old and have a not modern "orthography".
                If stamps were made ​​of recent,iron would be more 'polished.

3 - I measured the length with a tape measure.
                There are NO brands with the measurement written.
                I know that are two lengths for this type of axes (80 cm) (85 cm).

4 - The wrist strap....in these axes there must necessarily be.
                Maybe in some speciments is was lost.
                The type of wrist strap on my axe IMO is civilian like the axe.But certainly due at the time.

5 - The mark STUBAI inside diamond like mine are pre-war/wartime mark.
                You can found stubai with tree mountain or with "made in Austria" . Those are post war by sure.In the early models, there is no "Made in Austria".
                Most of the GJ stuff come from civilian market and used by soldier during the war.
                They were allowed to use their own mountaneering equipment of civilian times...

I hope I have clarified all your doubts.

Comment

I have seen many examples of these axes with and without marking.
                  Some are good some not....
                  The axe of this tread is onehundred per cent Nice and Original.

Comment

Seems to be not legit for a ww2 GJ ice axe....

Comment

Originally posted by martin guerre View Post
                      Seems to be not legit for a ww2 GJ ice axe....
                      Hello
                      Can you explain what you mean?
                      In this topic you can see model like mine..and other don't.
                      http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ght=gj+ice+axe
                      Thank you.
                      Last edited by TRAPJAW; 08-02-2014, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TRAPJAW View Post
                        I hope I have clarified all your doubts.
                        Actually, I was not expressing doubts about your axe.

I too would prefer a stamp into the metal - and your stamping would appear to be quite old (with the patina within).

I do not feel myself expert enough to decern between military and civilian - as well as pre- or post-WWII. As you said, many civilian items were used by the military, but the unit marking would indicate that it was owned by the unit, not an individual.

Fortunetly, some artifacts contain clues that exclude their Wehrmacht or WWII origins. You listed some that make it more likely to be WWII or before. I'm still looking for more of these clues.

-Matt

Comment

Here is a link ......
                          Can't find the first thread i posted with the pick ice....
                          http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...light=ice+pick

Comment

Originally posted by martin guerre View Post
                            Here is a link ......
                            Can't find the first thread i posted with the pick ice....
                            http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...light=ice+pick
                            Hello
                            Sorry but I still do not understand what you mean?!

Comment

Just want to show you how can be a good period GJ pick ice....nothing more....Your is civilian issue ....

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X