Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"parachute"/ "bombshell"

Hi All,
    i'found this "parachute"(for men? equipement?) and "bombshell" yesterday,for wich war? please.

thank you for all,
    Edmond

Looks like a US-made 81mm mortar round.

The chute appears to be for equipment drops, whether it was equipment dropped with the troops or for later resupply. In French use ('50's and '60's), equipment parachutes were color-coded: white, green, blue, yellow. I'd have to check what each color meant, but the options were arms, munitions, fuel, water, etc... What's the diameter? The US T10 chute is 35'. I believe the French TAP 660 and 661 are of a similar dimension.

Comment

Hi Lew,

Originally posted by lew View Post
      Looks like a US-made 81mm mortar round.

The chute appears to be for equipment drops, whether it was equipment dropped with the troops or for later resupply. In French use ('50's and '60's), equipment parachutes were color-coded: white, green, blue, yellow. I'd have to check what each color meant, but the options were arms, munitions, fuel, water, etc... What's the diameter? The US T10 chute is 35'. I believe the French TAP 660 and 661 are of a similar dimension.
      thank you lew, after search maybe T5 parachute is realy same...for mortar 60 m/m.. french?

Best regards
      Edmond

Comment

I did some more digging and that is indeed a French 60mm mortar round. The text is in the same font as my Mle. 52 AP dummy rifle grenade.

Took me a while, as my area of focus is French early '50's through early '60's uniforms and small arms, not ordnance.

The T-5 chute is 28 feet in diameter and has 28 panels, which- if my eyes are working properly- that one appears to have.

Salut.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X