Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spiess tunic opinions

Hi all,
    wondered if I might ask for opinions on this fliegerbluse that Mike Davis has on consignment at the moment? (I've asked Mike's permission to review it here):-

http://www.virtualgrenadier.com/sale_item.php?iid=2746

It's (as Mike says) a modified blouse, possibly consistent with the wearers rank. One of the modifications is a replaced eagle. Mike has asked me to quote him on this:-

"I believe the application could be original as the blouse has so many other well done tailor modifications. However I'm not sure it is possible to make a call with 100% certainty. The attachment threads are UV negative."

Intersted in all opinions, such as has anyone seen this particular (private purchase?) eagle before? Any thoughts on what the "3" numeral might be on the boards.
    Any thoughts on whether it might be Flight or FJ (there is a button for a marksman's lanyard), or impossible to know?

Regards, Paul

(Mike did send a couple of pictures of the eagle but I haven't had any luck uploading them yet, but you can see the eagle OK in the link above.)

Here are the shots of the national emblem and attachment, never seen one quite like this! Outline of previous eagle can be seen on the lining.
    Attached Files

Comment

Replacement eagle or not, I very much like the looks of it.

Comment

Similar eagle

Hi all, after a trawl (!) found a very similar (close to identical) eagle at the bottom of this picture posted by Willi Z on the Breast Eagle thread in 2004:-

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...t=8774&page=19 (Post #275)

John Hodgin replied:-

"Hi Willi, the lower one is fine wire, not the usual coiled wire of hand sewn insignia, cool! Like you said, it's a machine sewn (non Bevo) officer's eagle, darn unusual. The swas, and upper leading edge was of a different thread that did not hold it's metal coating well."

That would make a lot of sense, if the exposed parts were once covered by a finer metal thread that has worn away over time.

Regards, Paul
        Attached Files

Comment

Wow Paul you ARE on a Luftwaffe kick right now huh? I would say there is a 90% chance that it is wartime applied. It looks like it has been on there for a LONG time. It is almost beaten right into the wool of the tunic.

Wonderful to see a FB with collar piping.

Comment

Thanks

Hi, thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Hi Adam - I think your own signature from 'Game of Thrones' is applicable here. It's a good summing up of the militaria collecting hobby !!!

"It doesn't matter what we want; once we get it, then we want something else."

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X