U-Boat Badge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U-Boat Badge.

Hi guys, picked up this Rudy Souval Uboat badge from a Militaria dealer locally I've been going to since I was a kid. This badge was left over from an order he placed with Souval by phone in late sixties, early seventies. He recalls telling Rudolf to ship him only badges that he had as leftovers from the war years.
    He may have done as requested but??? I guess he couldn't resist placing his country of origin on the back for ?? Maybe importation purposes.
    Attached Files

Tw

Tw
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Pete,
      Very nice RS zincer and great story behind! It looks like fully wartime compatible piece
      Thanks for showing!
      Cheers,
      Hubert

Comment

I agree with Hubert -

Comment

Looks OK to me.

Comment

Hi Pete,

Thanks for posting this interesting badge with the great story.

Certainly wartime-compatible construction which fits with your friend's request, but I wonder about the finish? It's hard to tell with the artificial light photos but perhaps you can comment more with the badge in hand or take some photos in bright indirect natural light? On the highlights of the sub's hull it looks like there are some areas where the finish is worn off revealing a greyer undercoat? Is the gilding the "paint-like" finish we tend to associate with that era as Souval's "refreshment" practise for his wartime leftovers?

Basically, I'm wondering if it's the same type of gilding you see on this Minesweeper:
            http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...15&postcount=2

Best regards,
            ---Norm
            Last edited by Norm F; 04-18-2014, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Pix.

Thanks Guys, and yes Norm I'll try to get better pix in natural light (overcast today in these parts) within the next couple days as an addendum.
              Pete

Comment

In the meantime, here's a side-by-side comparison of Pete's wartime-compatible badge acquired in late 60's or early 70's and Tom Y.'s example with the typical faded-to-grey "wartime-compatible" finish. I wouldn't be surprised if Pete's shows Souval's "freshening" techniques for his wartime leftover badges at that time? I find this kind of stuff fascinating.

Best regards,
                ---Norm
                Attached Files

Comment

New pix.

Here's a couple new pix of this badge in natural light to assist in determining its evolution of Souvals finishing techniques.
                  Pete
                  Attached Files

Comment

Two

Two
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Pete,

Just checking regarding the colour handling on your camera. Which of these two versions is closest to the true colour? i.e. was the background really blue-green or was it more blue?

Best regards,
                      ---Norm
                      Attached Files

Comment

Lighting and cameras notwithstanding, here's a comparison of the finish on Alex W.'s circa mid-1960's Souval Spanish Cross to the U-Boat purchased by Pete's acquaintance around the same time. The Spanish Cross is pure post-war production while I'd wager the U-Boat is a wartime produced leftover badge with the same finish applied in the 1960's.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Another comparison, this time to a '57 gold wound badge.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Uboat.

Hi Norm,
                            The actual color of the backdrop is Green or Greenish blue as actually displayed in the second set of pix. (The left photo in comparison shot).
                            I enjoyed this study set on the comparisons of Souval applied finishes throughout his Wartime and post war phases. Great work up.
                            Thanks,
                            Pete

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X