cxn (Emil Busch) 6x30 Dienstglas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cxn (Emil Busch) 6x30 Dienstglas

I posted this one here: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=86377&page=19

"...binoculars by Emil Busch of Rathenow. I believe them to be wartime period manufacture.

The lenses are intact but a bit smoky and could use a cleaning. There is a graticule rangefinder. The original leather neck strap is present, albeit broken on one end.

The markings on the top right faceplate are a bit difficult to see - "Dienstglas" is barely discernable, followed by "6x30 / 200252 / cxn +". What does the "+" sign indicate here?

On the bottom central pole is stamped "U 41". Does this perhaps indicate a date of manufacture?

Another number is stamped on the lower, left underside lateral arm "200141". Does this and the above 6-digit stamping indicate serial and/or part numbers?

All feedback will be appreciated. Thanks."

I am now wondering if this one is WWI or WWII vintage?

John
    Attached Files

Would really appreciate it if one of the bino collectors could tell me:

1. Is this set above WWI or WWII vintage?
    2. What does the "+" sign indicate?
    3. What does the stamp "U 41" indicate?
    4. What is the significance of the two 6-digit stampings?

Grateful for all feed back.

Thanks,

John

Comment

The cxn code was used only in WWII. About 1941-1945.
      The + is a marking showing that it is greased with grease workable down to minus 40 degree celcius.

Zero is freezing, so this is pretty cold. Russian has seen temperatures as low as minus 55, so even -40 won´t always work. (this is where you may see even motors crack from the cold.)

Using graphite does not seem to have been an option.
      Besides, chances are, that even a russian Field Marshall will stay with his tea when it´s -55 outside, and not start any large offensives before it get a little warmer. ( So when your bino works again, then the russians may be on their way)

I have no clue to the U marking or the double serial? numbers.
      I would like to see a clear close up of the U marking, though.

Comment

Thanks very much "Mikedenmark". I appreciate your feedback. Attached is a better picture - as requested - of the "U 41" mark.
        Attached Files

Comment

I have no Clue. Either a inventory number 41, or Umgebaut 1941. (reworked/remodelled in 1941) Never seen anything like that though.
          Same goes for the two small knobs on the disc. Usually, it is holes.

Comment

Good guess regarding the the "U 41" mark. If indeed this set was "Umgebaut 1941 (reworked/remodelled in 1941", then perhaps that might account for the fact that there are two serial numbers: 200141 and 200252?
            Attached Files

Comment

Just saw that it is made of brass. At least part of it.
              Doesn´t tally with a cxn marking, afaIk. Weird piece.

Comment

It might tally if it was an earlier (maybe pre war) example repaired or reworked and then given the later code and cold weather sign. The fact it has two serial numbers that don't match may also indicate it was a repair job.

I have seen a few reworked Dienstglas which had the makers name on one side and, then later, given the three letter code. I even have one Zeiss 6x30 Dienstglas made of two separate binoculars - one side lightweight (with the name on) and the other brass - with a cold weather code and "blc".

Nice to see these little oddities appear - it keeps things interesting!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X