• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auxiliary and destroyer badges

Hi guys,
    A friend of mine find.
    Attached Files

Hi pieand,

The photos are small but the Destroyer outside of the wrapper looks like an excellent mint Tombak S&L. The Auxiliary Cruiser badge is harder to see; it looks sort of like a one-piece flat-back or Souval but it has a suspiciously post-war looking main pin. Better photos are necessary.

Best regards,
    ---Norm

Comment

Very interesting! The destroyer is a beauty! The packet that the aux cruiser is in is definitely a genuine wartime LDO packet and I really like the contact corrosion areas visible which indicates to me that the badge has been in the bag for many many years. The setup is not one I have seen though- could be a very interesting find and give us some new knowledge on late war badges

Comment

Although the current photo is somewhat inadequate, the area of concern is the top of the main pin. That shape has not been seen to date on any wartime Kriegsmarine badge to my knowledge whereas it is quite reminiscent of pins of the 1960's and 1970's. See the comparison to a 1970's '57-form badge on the left and the c. 1960's Souval German Cross on the right.

Hypothetically, if the badge was assembled and put in the cellophane packet in the 1960's that leaves 50 years of aging to account for the appearance that Patrick is noting.

Best regards,
        ---Norm
        Attached Files

Comment

One of the nicest S&L Destroyers I have ever seen
          Cheers,
          Hubert

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaZ View Post
            One of the nicest S&L Destroyers I have ever seen
            Cheers,
            Hubert
            I agree Hubert.

A badge of it's type that is in superb condition.

I would like to see additional images of the of the HK award,preferably outside of the cellophane package.

Until we do,i have to agree with Norm's assesment in regards to it's possibility of being a postwar example ?

Regards,Martin.

Comment

Additional photos
              Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

thats a very nice unknown maker- so called 'flatback' auxiliary cruiser. The shape of the pin was obviously an illusion caused by the cellophane. A really great couple of badges, not often at all you find KM badges in original cello bags

Comment

Thanks Patrick,

Comment

Hi pieand,

Wow, that wrapper had really distorted the pin appearance!

I agree with Patrick, a nice condition unworn "flatback". If you've been following the recent threads on this topic in the Heer section, the likelihood is that the maker of this badge was Alois Rettenmaier, Schwäbisch-Gmund. The quality is crude compared to official award pieces but likely late war manufacture.

Thanks for posting these interesting badges.

Best regards,
                      ---Norm
                      Attached Files

Comment

I agree, nice so called flatback zinc AC badge, most likely Rettenmaier according to the recent Giel's discoveries
                        Cheers,
                        Hubert

Comment

Other badges

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X