Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange experience I had with a signed Japanese flag

Hello everyone,
    Have you ever looked at an item in your collection and wondered about its history? Who originally owned it? What type of action did this item witness? How was this item eventually lost or captured? A few months ago, I was looking over a flag I had recently added to my collection. This flag came with no other information, other than the standard, "My Dad brought it back from the war". Late one night , I sat there and looked at this flag, while all those questions were going through my head. It appeared to me, that whatever this flag went through, its owner had met a violent end. I felt sad yet curios to know more about who this flag belonged to. I went to bed as usual. About 3 am, I had a dream. A dream so vivid, it seemed as if it were real. A dream so real, it was hard to talk about. A dream so disturbing, its taken me this long to write about it, even though I felt compelled to share it here immediately. It seems to me that I was visited by a spirit that night. Not an evil spirit, but a spirit that wanted to answer the questions I had pondered. A spirit that wanted to "show me something". In my dream I was a young Japanese soldier, but I felt that I was just a little bit older than the soldiers around me. I felt that the other soldiers looked up to me, for answers, for protection. As the dream progressed, I was in a cement bunker with 2 or 3 other soldiers. For some reason, we were trapped inside and trying to avoid detection by American soldiers we knew were outside our location. We were trying to be quiet and were huddled in the back corner of the bunker. We had no weapons anymore, not sure why, I had a feeling like we were out of ammunition. The bunker was attacked and I could see smoke and fire coming through a vent pipe in the ceiling of the bunker. The others were scared and I shielded them with my body and outstretched arms as they huddled in the back corner of the bunker. Then a hand grenade came in through the ceiling vent pipe, it exploded, and I immediately woke up. Call it mumbo Jumbo, call it a dream, call it anything to explain it away, That's OK. To me it was a glimpse. A glimpse into what it could have been like. Did it really happen like this? Who knows, but it sure felt real! It sure felt like I was being shown something from beyond. There was a thread here in this section about ghostly encounters, so I know there are quite a few believers amongst the Japanese sub setion followers. What I do know for sure, is that we don't know everything about our eternal beings. Anyway, here is the flag. If ayone can read anything on it, let me know. I can see the Buunchoukyuu . Thanks for any input.

PG-
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Paul G; 07-22-2013, 04:39 PM.

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

v
          Attached Files

Comment

v.
            Attached Files

Comment

last
              Attached Files

Comment

Our minds are very powerful and something like this does not surprise me at all.

Now, if it were reoccurring...that would be a different story.

Bob

Comment

Hello everyone, can anyone read anything on this flag? maybe an owners name? Thanks for any input

PG-

Comment

I see that the bold characters on the left mean "Serving the nation with utmost loyalty". Can anyone see anything else? Thanks

PG-

Comment

That vertical writing on extreme left says
                      郷社瀧尾神社 司田中宴(Not sure about last letter)
                      郷社 is a type of official Shinto Shrine.
                      郷社瀧尾神社 (Kyousha Takinoo Jinjya, or local shrine dragon's tail shrine) is this shrine in Nikko, Tochigi prefecture:
                      http://ameblo.jp/ha-rey/entry-11561884178.html

司 田中宴 is shinto priest Tanaka something I think

Writing next to 神棚加護 (May the divine rack* protect you) on upper right reads
                      報徳二宮神社=Houtoku Ninomiya Jinjya
                      http://www.ninomiya.or.jp/
                      Also in Kanagawa prefecture

So it seems like this fellow was from Kanagawa, but I can't figure out much more than that. I suppose you could show the flag to the shrine people but I doubt that would help much.

*Mini shinto shrine kept at home

Comment

Thank You Walter for your help

PG-

Comment

Bringing this one back to the top to see if anyone else can read anything on this flag. Thanks everyone

PG-

Comment

Walter, a slight correction of your excellent work, if I may:
                            郷社瀧尾神社 (Kyousha Takinoo Jinjya, or local shrine dragon's tail shrine) is this shrine in Nikko, Tochigi prefecture:
                            http://ameblo.jp/ha-rey/entry-11561884178.html

Taki means "Waterfall" [archaic: rapids]. Taki uses dragon [the right portion] and probably borrows and modifies the sound "tatsu"; however, the water radical entirely changes the meaning from "dragon" to "waterfall" .... I guess because waterfalls generally are very long and violent forces of nature that roars a lot .... not unlike a "real" dragon. The modern "simplified" kanji for taki is .

[O or Nō] not only means "tail", but also means "lower slope of a mountain", "tail-end", and is used as a counter for fish [I guess because they have tails!].

Takinō: Tail-end of the waterfall [or rapids].

--Guy

[edit] I'm seeing two pronunciations for 瀧尾: Taki-o as well as Taki-nō.
                            Last edited by GHP; 02-28-2014, 01:29 PM. Reason: NOTE

Comment

Thank You Guy

PG-

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X