Attached Files

No it is a fake.

Comment

I agree, it's a dud
      Cheers,
      Hubert

Comment

Hello gents,

I am new to this forum and I am more into reproducing S boat in very detail. Insignia is more a side interest her.

If you don't mind, can you tell me why this badge is a fake? And how can I distinguies them from real badges?

Thanks

Christian

Comment

Originally posted by xrz100 View Post
          Hello gents,

I am new to this forum and I am more into reproducing S boat in very detail. Insignia is more a side interest her.

If you don't mind, can you tell me why this badge is a fake? And how can I distinguies them from real badges?

Thanks

Christian
          Not exactly clear what you are saying above, however, glad to help you with your question. First, just type into the drop down "search this forum" at the top "second pattern Schwerin" and you will discover all kinds of information regarding this badge.

Let us know if you have any questions after you have read them. Just too much wrong with this badge and I believe we have seen it before in any case.

John

Comment

S-boot

Hello,
            The bar is no good and I agree with John, check the search function and you will find plenty of original examples.

Jody

Comment

Originally posted by xrz100 View Post

Thanks

Christian
              Hi Christian,

As John and Jody have said, the key is to search the forums for photos of originals and compare them closely to the fake. As you gain experience it will become easier and easier.

Having said that, it's not all that easy finding great photos of these badges, especially since all too often they are found refinished. The original gilding has usually faded to grey over time.

As a brief summary, there are three versions of the Schwerin 2nd pattern zinc S-Boat badge:
              1) maker marked with cut-out swastika arms and flag
              2) maker marked with solid (not cut-out) swastika and flag
              3) unmarked (with cut-outs)

Examples to follow.

Best regards,
              ---Norm

Comment

Here's a good example of the marked cut-out type (the most common).
                Attached Files

Comment

hardware and maker mark
                  Attached Files

Comment

another great example (previously posted by Ed Hicks)
                    Attached Files

Comment

Here's one without the cutouts.
                      Attached Files

Comment

And here's the unmarked version (previously posted by Hubert).
                        Attached Files

Comment

And finally, here's the sort of side-by-side comparison you have to do to appreciate the differences between an original and the fake badge posted by soldier at the top of the thread. After a while it becomes second nature to see the differences in the hardware, finish and internal cutouts.

Best regards,
                          ---Norm
                          Attached Files

Comment

Gentlemen,

I really enjoy posts where comparisons are made. Yes, it is probably similar to one somewhere in the archive, but its like reading a good book, always enjoyable. Thank you all for contributing.

Terrence

Comment

Originally posted by Terrence View Post
                              ... its like reading a good book, always enjoyable.
                              Speaking of good books , another good resource for studying badges is a good reference book. All three of these Schwerin variants are shown in detail in "The Kriegsmarine Awards" Volume II on pages 628 to 634, including a period photo of the badge in wear.

Best regards,
                              ---Norm

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X