Very ugly heer breast eagle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very ugly heer breast eagle

This eagle sure looks cheesy and I would ID it as a fake except it came in a large US patch collection and it doesn't glow on the back (UV). Also the cloth does look old. Any chance this might be some weird foreign volunteer item -- It kind of looks like a big pigeon to me.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Hello...
      Not sure if real or not, definately looks strange...
      Is it a KM, looks yellow
      Km makes some strange birds sometimes IMO

Comment

An old patch king version I think, looking at the reverse and these were first in production before the war ended, so they can look old as they are old.

Comment

Greetings All,

I believe Jerry hit the nail on the head. It is an old "Patch King" patch!

Fred

Comment

So I take it "Patch King" was an early reproducer of cloth patches in the 40s?

Comment

Greetings All,

There is a thread on "Patch King" some place. I come across their patches from time to time. Some are close, some not so. I believe that they made patches Post WWI for veterans and at the end of WWII had a nice selection of WWII German patches for collectors.

Fred

Comment

Greetings All,

Did you just pick this up at Triplett's?? He got one in just like this on friday.

Fred

Comment

I agree, this is a Patch King.

They made patches during and after WW2 for WW1 veterans and young collectors.

Many of thier "German" and "US WW1, style patches can be found in WWII period scrap books. many were made before 1945, so they are old and period, just not original.

Attached is one of their old ads from a magazine.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Here is a catalog that they put out in the 1940's.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Old scrap book from the 1940's. Many patches are origimal WWII US patches, while the WWI US patches are actually made in the 1940's by Patch King.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Typical group of German patches made during and shortly after WWII by Patch King in New York city.

Note the cheese cloth backing, this was common with a lot of felt backed patches made by Patch King.
                        Attached Files

Comment

never knew about this company, very interesting

thanks

Comment

So they made the first repro, before the war ended...

Carles

Comment

Yup, they started early in the repro market. After the war, they bought up most of the left-over stock of original US patches and begun selling them every place they could. They came in Cereal boxes during the 1950's, and I even remember in the 1970's, they were in bubble gum machines in clear plastic eggs. I bought many WWII Navy ratings for .25 cents back then from these machines when I was a kid. If something was in demand, such as the German patches, they just had them made up.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X