• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Navy Destroyers Badge

I would like your opinions please. Thank you, Ralph
    Attached Files

Hi Ralph,

Certainly looks like a good zinc Schwerin Destroyer. These are less common than their Tombak counterparts. The finish is unusual though. I haven't (yet) seen one with that shiny silvered reverse and obverse feature. Usually they are dark grey like this example previously posted by Martin W.

I'll comment on the cloth badge separately.

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Attached Files

Comment

Regarding the cloth Destroyer. The Destroyer is the most common of the embroidered KM badges, so much so that it raises questions yet to be answered I think. Not sure if there was a hoard discovered at some point but they seem to abound in mint condition. Most of the ones posted here on WAF seem to have the light colored wide net backing like the example attached here, as opposed to the dark blue denser weave backing like yours.

Martin W. has posted an excellent photo of the embroidered Destroyer in wear so we know it was used in wartime. This is an area of study still in its infancy I think, and it would be good to explore it more in this thread.

Best regards,
      ---Norm
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Norm F; 01-22-2013, 09:56 PM.

Comment

When you compare Ralph's mint cloth Destroyer with the dark blue dense weave backing to the mint example posted previously by Rylan with the light wide weave backing, you can see that aside from the backing the construction and embroidery patterns look almost the same.

Best regards,
        ---Norm
        Attached Files

Comment

When you compare this cloth embroidery pattern to the period photograph they're similar but not quite the same.

Best regards,
          ---Norm
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Norm F; 01-22-2013, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Better photo, I hope.
            Attached Files

Comment

Here are two examples of what I think are the same type as in the period photo. The one on the left was previously posted by Bob Hritz and the one on the right by the late W. C. Stump.

If Bob still has his perhaps he could be prevailed upon to show a view of the reverse of his badge. My guess is it would likely have the dark dense-woven backing.

Best regards,
              ---Norm
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Norm F; 01-22-2013, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Hi Norm,

i am no expert when it comes to the cloth badges but IMO the zinc Schwerin is a good piece.

A stange looking finish,yes,but i think it is original to the badge ?

Regards,Martin.
                Last edited by Martin W; 01-22-2013, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Thanks alot for your replies, and Norm for your time. Ralph

Comment

Here's an odd example similar to the commonly posted design but with a strange reverse. It looks like the central motif was sewn in and then a ribbed backing was applied before the the wreath was sewn in. Makes you wonder what went on there...

---Norm
                    Attached Files

Comment

Here's a reproduction that's disturbingly close to the "originals" in post 7 aside from the obvious difference in the ship's superstructure and lack of flat mast.
                      http://www.muenzauktion.com/futter/item.php5?id=1946

This highlights the ease with which cloth items can be reproduced in the post-war era.

Best regards,
                      ---Norm
                      Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X