Two SS Officer Visor Hats for your consideration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two SS Officer Visor Hats for your consideration

I've been a member here and lurker for years but always get nervous putting my stuff up. I know you all to be brutally honest which is why I come here in the first place.

I received a call from a man about my age (44) about a month ago. Seems he had not one, but two, SS Officer visor hats for sale. The story was that when he was about 13 his father, who owned an antique store, purchased the contents of a local eldery ladies home after her WWII veteran husband died- she didn't need all that stuff and wanted out from under it so she could go live with family.

This young man remembered being in a closet on a stepladder on the second floor when he found these two hats and an M-35 Polizei double decal helmet way up on the top shelf in the back. His father told him that if he liked them he could keep them, which he did for the next 30 years.

I believe both hats belonged to the same individual named in the one hat because they were both brought home by the same soldier, are both the same size, and more importantly, both have the same white piping. Over time the stitching to the dress hat came undone and the young man kept the visor for later restoration which he never got around to. Could I please get a referrence for whom to see regarding getting this one restored?

I have not monkeyed with or touched these in any way other than to photograph them. I was thrilled to purchase them but still want the seal of approval (or harsh light of reality) from the experts here before I have the one restored or get too proud of what I bought.

The one hat is named to one SS Hauptsturmfuhrer Emil Bihler, SS Abschnitt XXVIII. It was not known that the back side of the paper label found in the same hat had his last name printed in ink on it till I took these photos. I don't know the word written under that- any help with that? From what limited research I have been able to carry out, Emil Bihler was in fact an SS Haupsturmfuhrer with SS Abschnitt 28, and, the proper way that Abschnitts were designated was always with Roman numerals, such as XXVIII. His SS membership number is 253754 and his NSDAP number is 3968302. According to this web page he was born October 13, 1901. Funny thing is there is an Emil Bihler shown on the 1940 US census as being born around 1901 in Germany and living in Madison, IL. Perhaps THIS is the WWII vet that died and left not what he captured in WWII, but what was HIS in WWII before he emigrated to the US?

Any and all questions are welcome and I will do my best to answer them or take further photographs if requested and necessary. I know what I paid for these two (ouch!) but I would like to know what they are worth as they are, and what the dress visor hat would be worth after restoration (and what restoration would cost)?

Regards,
    Eric

Paper tag from someone with an ss typewriter...made up , but would not stick out like that... that tag would be cut to fit the slot, and likely be hand written with just a name.

Comment

All I can see are two STUNNING beauties!!!

Comment

I am liking what I see. Can you post a close-up of the velvet on the white-top so we can see the weave pattern? Also, does the white-top have an RZM tag?
        NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Originally posted by stonemint View Post
          I am liking what I see. Can you post a close-up of the velvet on the white-top so we can see the weave pattern? Also, does the white-top have an RZM tag?
          Your wish is my command. Here is a picture of the inside weave pattern-

And here is a picture of the outside top of the hat to show the weave pattern there.

I wish the RZM tag was still present but the inside rim of the hat is falling out and quite loose, which is why I want it restored; it's all present, just in need of being put back together properly. If there was an RZM tag, it most likely fell out at some point.

Regards,
          Eric

Comment

Caps

Both are fine original examples. I agree that they were probably the property of the same individual.
            Peter Manzie

Comment

DING DING DING !!!!! Billbert

Comment

Jackpot

Comment

RZM Tag

I don't see any evidence of the tag being sewn in. Are you sure its from the black cap? What caused the dark spot on the tag?

Comment

pair

What a magnicent pair of visor hats and both to the same person , even better.

Comment

Stunning

What a stunning pair. WoW !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Manzie View Post
                        I don't see any evidence of the tag being sewn in. Are you sure its from the black cap? What caused the dark spot on the tag?
                        The dark spot on the tag came from it being between the sweat band and the tabs that keep the side braid keeper in place on the headband. It was tucked in there with only the word TUCHMUTZE showing. Sorry if my designations are not correct, but I believe you understand what I'm trying to say.

Regards,
                        Eric

Comment

Tag

Originally posted by preachere View Post
                          The dark spot on the tag came from it being between the sweat band and the tabs that keep the side braid keeper in place on the headband. It was tucked in there with only the word TUCHMUTZE showing. Sorry if my designations are not correct, but I believe you understand what I'm trying to say.

Regards,
                          Eric
                          Yes, I do, and from this, you are certain that the tag is from the black cap. The purple stamping on the tag has probably bled into the backside of the sweatband as well.
                          Peter

Comment

Boy! If that were me, I'd be stopping by the BMW dealer on the way home from work

Comment

Great stuff!

Wanted to pass on my congrats also!

Now, where's my phone call with a pair of original SS Panzer wraps!!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X