Flugplatz (Airfield) or street address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flugplatz (Airfield) or street address

Could someone please help me with what is scratched on to the reverse of this pilot badge.

It reads "Munchen 2 Platz L 3"

Is this the address of an airfield (Flugplatz), training field, air skill/ officer school or just a street address.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated because it will solve a mystery.

Many thanks,

Chris
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 90th Light; 01-07-2013, 06:08 PM.

Full view of the address.

There is a ü after the capital M with an umlaut above the u.

Chris
    Attached Files

Comment

i would say street address
      München 2 Platzl 3 do not know (2) possible district ?

if you look at google earth you will find it with München Platzl 3
      The Hofbräuhaus is Platzl 9 ,Hardrock Cafe Munic is Platzl 1

kind regards Siegi

Comment

Originally posted by female service View Post
        i would say street address
        München 2 Platzl 3 do not know (2) possible district ?

if you look at google earth you will find it with München Platzl 3
        The Hofbräuhaus is Platzl 9 ,Hardrock Cafe Munic is Platzl 1

kind regards Siegi
        Hello Siegi,

thank you for your consideration of this. I do not speak German so I was hoping that someone more knowledgable than myself would try and make sense of it.

Basically I have come up with three possibilities

1/ City of Munich, district 2, place/ position 3

2/ City of Munich, district 2, hotel 3

3/ City of Munich, district 2 Air ("Luft") 3

I can not say that I feel certain about any of these. Except to say that putting a civilian address on a WW2 LW pilots badges would be very unusual. Other badges that I have seen which are marked like this, have always had a military reference number or a miltary unit.

Any further help or the experience of yourself or other members to clarify this would be much appreciated.

Again many thanks for your posting,

Chris

Comment

"Luftkriegsschule 3" was in Werder/Havel but could this be the address of something like that in Munich ?

Chris

Comment

How far away would the "Neubiberg" airfield have been from "Platzl 3" in Munchen during WW2 ?

Neubiberg was originally built in 1933 as a glider field under the name "Flugplatz München Süd" (Munich South Airfield). Starting in 1935 and during World War II Neubiberg was an active Luftwaffe air base known as Unterbiberg. In 1944 Messerschmitt Me 262 jet fighter-bombers were stationed there. It was bombed by 15th Air Force B-24s on 16 February 1945. American armored units captured the base in April 1945.

Then there is the regional headquarters for the Luftwaffe (Luftgaukommando VII) Prinzregentenstraße 24-28 München. How far away from Platzl 3 was that in WW2 ? This giant building was constructed in 1937-1938. Seemingly there are still many original ornaments in the shape of swastikas or helmets visible today.

This pilot badge is a bit of a puzzle because the street address scratched into it seems to be for a hotel. It seems odd to want to have your badge returned to hotel if you lose it. He must have been billeted there for some time.

Any other Luftwaffe bulding, flight schools or other organisations involving pilots near Platzl 3, Munchen ? There certainly were some interesting Luftwaffe units and fighter squadrons (night-fighters) at the Neubiberg during WW2.

Any help/ information would be appreciated,

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 90th Light View Post
              It seems odd to want to have your badge returned to hotel if you lose it.
              Not so much if his parents were the hotel owners.

Pierre

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
                Not so much if his parents were the hotel owners.

Pierre
                Appreciate the reply. I am having trouble establishing exactly what the building was used for during WW2. Not sure it was a hotel. I am told it is a very, very old part of Munich and the on February 24, 1920, the NSDAP was founded in the Hofbräuhaus which is Platzl 9,

"The houses of Platzl 2 and 3 are rare examples of Old-Viennese burgher houses. Remains of the Middle Ages are still partially preserved (Vordergebäude Platzl 3). The main building phases are the Renaissance (Vorderhausplatzl 2, around 1565) and the Baroque (Platzl 2, Mittelgebäude, middle of the 17th century, back building of the first half of the 18th century)."

However, scratched into the badge is "Munchen2 PlatzL3" is this the same place as Munchen, Platzl 3 ?

Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X