Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Box ID pls ?

Hallo,

Can you please help me and identify for which organisation that box was made ? and what is was supposed to hold ?
    size is about 2 x 6 x 8.5 inches.

Kanji are too small for me to read in that photo, but the top is actually 4 small kanji grouped together, probably the owner's name, the rest is 軍人? 護會 "Military personnel ?? association"

Please post clear pictures if you expect people to read something for you. Many kanji can look similar but one or 2 small lines can completely change the meaning. Especially for people like me who aren't fluent and can't recognize what the most likely meaning is.

Probably someone will recognize the group's insignia. I should, as I've seen it before, but I forgot who they are, maybe wounded soldier's support. The inclusion of both the army star and navy anchor is an easy clue that it's a veteran's or military supporter's group.

Comment

It's a letter/writing box (fumibako) given by the Gunjin JukoKai organization.

Modern example:

I can't read the four smaller kanji, but they are more than likely descriptive of the Jukokai (e.g., "registered non-governmental legal entity" ... but not in this case). The larger kanji are:
      軍人授護会
      Gunjin Jukokai
      Soldier Protection Association

軍人 Gunjin - soldier
      Ju - granting/giving
      Ko - protection
      kai - society/association

I suppose the symbol on the cover is the badge of the society/association.

Hopefully Nick Komiya can help with a smoother translation of the society's name, .... and translate the small kanji.

Regards,
      --Guy
      Last edited by GHP; 12-13-2012, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Guy, you misread the third character. It reads 軍人援護会( Gunjin Engo kai), which is Soldier's Support Association. The military term, "covering fire" is 援護射撃。 The small writing says 恩賜財団、which is the accreditation for the association. 恩賜(Onshi) being something presented by the emperor. In this case, it indicates someone from the Royal Family was involved in the establishing of the foundation.

Comment

Everybody else .... this is what Nick was talking about ....

軍人護会 [Nick]
          軍人護会
          [Guy]

Nick,

Thanks!! Boy, that was a tough one for me. I had to enlarge both kanji so I could compare and see what I missed.

I hope you don't mind my invoking your name like a long-lost spirit from the other world ... I enjoy your helpful insight and corrections.

Cheers,
          --Guy

Comment

Re-

Now I picture well those writting box and feel silly for not thinking about it.

Many thanks to your all . I very much appreciate your efforts despite the poor photos I provided which I realise did not make the task any easier .

I will research the Gunjin Engo kai which from what I understand , under the patronage of a member of the Imperial family, was organising supporting for the troops.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X