• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sfl ZF 1query

Hi

Can someone identify this part?

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...84.m1542.l2649

It looks like bottom from Sfl ZF, produced by dhq (Mooler in Wedel, company still exists), serial number is quite low 179. Eye cup looks to protect from side ambient light which means that could have been used by vehicle with no roof.
    Any suggestion?

I am interested as well. I have a cannon sight here somewhere with a similar marking. Large prismatic sight with a roof prism. I think mine wa for a 75-150 mm. wwII german naval cannon. code mark dhq. I always thought the (M) meant Mauser. Only that sounds wrong, if it was for a cannon. Could be metric.

Comment

Mike, the one from the auction says that it has filters build in, is it normal for the sight to have them? I know that regular binoculars like 12x60 or 10x80 have them but not sure about gun sights. Presence of filters along with eye cup shaped that way may suggest something like Nashorn (Hornisse) as a carrier.
      The other thing is that one is slightly bigger then normal Sfl ZF1 which suggests that gunner had to be quite low from the roof.

Can you attach pic of yours?

regards Chris

Comment

Nope,

Kriegsmarine ZF. mounts on side of the Schiffskanone 12,7 C/41 I believe. maybe smaller. It is one of two sights on the mounting. this is the 90 degree viewer for the assistant gunner.

KM, gunsight, hence the filters. usually mounted with dual rubber eyecup system, with one "dummy" eye-rest.

Comment

Hi mlespaul

Can you point me to any reference you may have regarding that sight?
          Is there any chance that you have a full picture or drawing of it?
          I would like to see top part mounted on the ship or the whole thing assembled in one piece.

From the information provided by the seller I know that was found in eastern France at the end of the war, so I'm bit surprised that belongs to Kriegsmarine rather then from Panzer related items.

What does A.Z.s.E.C/41(M) stands for? M would be Marine , C/41 type of the armament but A.Z.s.E ?

regards Chris

Comment

I don´t know the A, but the rest goes like this:
            Z.s.E. Zielfernrohr schräge Einblick
            sighting scope with angled ocular.

I will get those photo´s asked for.

I think the only place you won´t use colour filters would be exactly in panzers. Panzers rarely operate with searchlights. That is a navy or an anti aircraft thing.

A relevant link about the cannon:
            http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNGER_5-45_skc41.htm
            Last edited by Mikedenmark; 12-25-2012, 10:39 AM.

Comment

I have an original period photo of it mounted. There is a separate telescope mounted for the main gunner. I've also got other information, but stick with Mike, he seems bound and determined to be the man with all the answers.

Comment

Here are some photo´s of one of the sights I have.
                This has been used by the danish navy post 1945.
                That means danish markings added, sidesight maybe added, objective lens and reticle may have been changed as well.
                Presently I cannot locate the other one. I believe this had the highest dhq number of the two of them.
                The german marking is: A.Z.C./41(M)

The danish designation include 5x34 to denote the optic.
                Seen from the objective end, the center of the edge from the roof prism is clearly visible.
                Colour filters are: clear, grey, yellow and green.

If it is the cannon mentioned below, it was a dual purpose gun. Surface and air, presumably ?
                The reticle on this sight suggest use against surface targets.
                For anti aircraft use, a cannon of this size is likely to be connected to some kind of independent fire control equipment.

Last edited by Mikedenmark; 12-27-2012, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                X