Insignia and Artifacts of the Waffen-SS by Beaver, Bando and Shea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insignia and Artifacts of the Waffen-SS by Beaver, Bando and Shea

I hope everyone gets a copy of the new book that was started by the late Mike Beaver and worked on by Bill Shea and published by the work of Mark Bando. This is a work that Mike Beaver wanted to complete in his short lifetime. Mark Bando has done a fantastic job of editing and writing the text and the book has the finest illustrations of all original insignia.

This should be in every collector's library. The full size illustrations make authenticating original insignia much easier. I give a lot of credit to Bill Shea for following up on Mike Beaver's project and my thanks and gratitude to Mark Bando for doing the editing, writing, and layout, not to mention the addition of many pieces from his famous collection.

The medal collectors have had quality books, in the last few years, and the SS insignia collectors have finally gotten the tome we have been waiting for. I can only hope for further books by these giants.

Bob Hritz
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Thanks

Great news, I'm looking to update my book collection with a newer version
    on this subject.
    My older books are much more general by design.

Comment

Thanks for posting! I just ordered my copy! Here is the link if anyone needs it! I can't wait to read it!!

http://www.101airborneww2.com/books.html

Comment

A wonderful book! I picked up my copy at the MAX. Simply a must for the collector.

Comment

Would be perfect for Christmas!

Cheers
          // Felix

Comment

Perhaps someone might like to scan a couple of sample pages to whet everyone's whistle!

Comment

I need to pay $128 to get this book to Asia. I think it is worth the cost as imagine the time and effort required to produce something like shown here ( actually there is another thread about this book with these pictures).
              Attached Files

Comment

more
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Bob

Looks like A must have.
                  Thanks for the preview Chen.
                  ,,$128.00 for shipping?
                  cheers,
                  Paul

Comment

I like reference books and have quite a few of them. But in most cases they are pretty useless because pictures are so small you cannot see the important details. I only wish pictures were larger so that every stitch in insignias could be seen, which is crucial in determining the originality. I realize it would make this book thousands pages more but it would be much, much better and more useful tool for collectors. Maybe someday an electronic book will be made with a high-quality high-resolution pictures in which you could observe all the details, that naked eye even cannot see.

Comment

re: size/clarity of images

Be advised that the sample pages shown are only about 1/3 actual size and those scans are also low res, compared to the actual images in the book. The insignia are in most cases, shown at larger than actual size in the book and those who actually own it have no complaints about the image clarity.
                      In most cases, the images are so good, that it looks like you could reach into the page and pick-up an actual cuffband or collartab.
                      To suggest the images are 'useless, is to do a great disservice to what is in this book and the quality of the images depicted therein. The pages are 8.5 x 11 inches, unlike the samples shown, which are tiny in comparison. On a forum such as this, it is impossible to post high res images, at full size.
                      As to the buyer from Hong Kong, overseas postage is $48-, which added to the cost of the book ($80-), adds up to $128-. Same price applies to send the book to Germany, the UK, the Netherlands, or Spain, all places I've sent books to in the past week. As I stated on the Books & Media forum, the postal costs are high, but I will mail the book to anyone overseas, who wants it enough to pay the shipping costs.
                      Considering the high quality of the book (similar books usually sell for around $130-), the total overseas price of $128- is not bad and I'm awaiting feedback from overseas customers. I have a feeling that they will not have any regrets about the price they paid to own this book.
                      In addition to quality images, this book has MANY items with direct attribution to the veterans who brought them back as souvenirs and also a lot of war stories and historical information added, which is the main difference from any previous TR militaria references I've ever seen.
                      I shouldn't have to defend this book against criiticisms of those who haven't actually held a copy in their hands, because their opinions are based on
                      incomplete and inaccurate information or weak images, such as were posted above. Try reading the reviews from Bob Hritz and Jim Toncar-if they had any criticisms about the image clarity, they would've stated them in their reviews.

Comment

A bookworm always likes new book in his library.
                        Attached Files

Comment

It is mandatory for all serious interestd in the subject
                          It can be the best investment if you collect ss uniforms.

Comment

I must have a copy!

Comment

Originally posted by A c h t u n g ! View Post
                              I like reference books and have quite a few of them. But in most cases they are pretty useless because pictures are so small you cannot see the important details. I only wish pictures were larger so that every stitch in insignias could be seen, which is crucial in determining the originality. I realize it would make this book thousands pages more but it would be much, much better and more useful tool for collectors. Maybe someday an electronic book will be made with a high-quality high-resolution pictures in which you could observe all the details, that naked eye even cannot see.
                              This book is easy on the" old "eyes, print wise and picture wise.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X