Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Destroyer Badge BM Meybauer?

Hello,

i have buy this badge today. It is a Meybauer?

BR Marcus
    Attached Files

or Otto Schickle?
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi,
      It is very nice tombak Destroyer made by Petz & Lorenz, Pforzheim
      Congrats!
      Cheers,
      Hubert

Comment

Hello Hubert are you sure?

This is my Otto Schickle Minesweeper.
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Marcus,

Like Hubert says, that's a nice classic Petz & Lorenz Destroyer. You can see the classic bow wave flaw in the obverse that matches the P&L catalog image.

Your Minesweeper badge with the same setup is also a P&L, not a Schickle. Schickle used the same obverse design as P&L but the Schickles have a distinctive flaw in the swastika that is absent on your P&L.

Best regards,
          ---Norm
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi, I am pretty sure
            I have two tombak P&L minesweepers like your fine example.
            Cheers,
            Hubert
            Attached Files

Comment

and another.
              Type 2.6.1 in the Minesweeper Classification Table
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi Marcus,
                As Norm has said the wave flaw is the easiest hint, but it is not present on all P&L Destroyers - Norm, correct me if I am wrong.
                I usually look on the finish and hinge/pin on these destroyers. Only on P&L KM awards we can see such typical silver undercoat.
                For comparison I enclose Schickle tombak badges from my collection, two Minesweepers and Destroyer.
                Cheers,
                Hubert
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaZ View Post
                  Hi Marcus,
                  As Norm has said the wave flaw is the easiest hint, but it is not present on all P&L Destroyers - Norm, correct me if I am wrong.
                  Quite right, the bow flaw is an easy characteristic to spot, but a few examples lack the flaw. Interestingly the three unflawed examples we've seen posted in recent times have variant hardware applied to them. Perhaps P&L tried different setups before settling on the final one by which point the die flaw had developed?

Here are the two threads showing the unflawed examples:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=560951
                  http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=574353

Best regards,
                  ---Norm

Comment

OK, OK, OK, I understand. It is a rare one?

BR Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Liquidmetall View Post
                      OK, OK, OK, I understand. It is a rare one?

BR Marcus
                      Hi Marcus,

Among the Tombak Destroyers, it's not as rare as Meybauer and Beco, but certainly much less common than Schwerin and Schickle. I'd put it about the same level of rarity as the Tombak S&L and Deumer Destroyers.

Best regards,
                      ---Norm

Comment

I would say more uncommon than rare, but thats just me

Comment

I'm seeing a lot of differences between the P&L catalog badge, which appears to be a pic of a real badge, and the one in question? Some differences may be trimming and or lighting effects but some differences are definitely not due to lighting or trimming, they are differences in die details.

Regards
                          Mike
                          Attached Files
                          Regards
                          Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Kenny View Post
                            I'm seeing a lot of differences between the P&L catalog badge, which appears to be a pic of a real badge, and the one in question? Some differences may be trimming and or lighting effects but some differences are definitely not due to lighting or trimming, they are differences in die details.

Regards
                            Mike
                            Hi Mike,

I see what you mean (for some of your circles anyway), but I think there are limitations to the finer comparisons that one can do with the fuzzy blowup of the catalog image. Although based on a photo, it could have been touched up by hand to remove shadows etc. which could affect the outlines somewhat. It's similar to the situation of the S&L catalog image of the Schwerin U-Boat which also shows small differences from the actual badge although recognizable for what it is nevertheless.

Furthermore, for the P&L Minesweepers there are some examples of variants with hand finishing of the margins which cause differences in the outlines from the standardly stamped versions, so the same could apply to the Destroyer.

If Marcus' badge is from a different die than the photo, then P&L would have had two dies with the same large bow wave flaw which seems less likely?

Best regards,
                            ---Norm
                            Attached Files

Comment

Now, the badge enter his port...
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X