Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cloth Canadian film and photo unit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230790344948...#ht_500wt_1413

Could these possible be real or just fakes?? I have the printed version. These cloth ones don't quite match the one in Kens book.

Mike

These are fake Mike! Be careful!

Comment

That was my first impression too.

Luc

Comment

Hi Jack and Luc,

I pretty much new they were bad. I was wondering if there could of been a variation on the cloth kind. I have the printed version and is one of my favorites in my small collection. I was going to post a picture, but i don't see a place where i can post the pic.

Mike

Comment

That would be a very rare badge, I have only seen one in the CWM, and a few in the possession of the vet or their families. I think I have only seen one in a 'private' collection.

All of them where printed.

The next one you will see is the 'Canadian War Correspondent' does anyone have one of those?

Comment

These are definitely fake. I have both the printed and an original cloth one in my collection. The cloth one I have came from one of the photographers attached to the 1st Can Para. It's amazing what people will pay for crap.

Comment

I see it sold for $282.55

Comment

For future reference.

Luc
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mike McMenamin View Post
                  I see it sold for $282.55
                  That's a lot of money for a piece of ****

Comment

Someone has paid a lot for a reproduction title. Here are examples of good ones. Apologies for the quality of the image, but you can still see the significant details.

Comment

Never seen the bottom type one before any story on it. The top one is just like the one on the DB in the CWM.

Comment

The bottom example is the embroidered shoulder title acquired by members of the unit. The only officially approved pattern was the printed title, and the embroidered ones were "private" purchase.

Comment

I hope to find the cloth one some day. I'm sure it won't be cheap.

Comment

Cdn Film and Photo

In my book I state that the embroidered titles were approved for the Film and Photo Unit as well as for the 1CPB and bought at public expense. Unfortunately, I was using a list dated 25 January 1945 which proposed replacing "issue" shoulder titles with embroidered titles in the UK. After lengthy discussion between CMHQ and NDHQ, it was rejected because the demand would be too great and could not be filled with the resources available. HOWEVER I had a document, which I misplaced, which stated that because there were certain units in the UK which did not have an equivalent embroidered title being made in Canada, they could purchase a supply of embroidered titles at public expense. It is not known whether this was ultimately approved OR how, if it was approved, they did this. An allowence may have been given to these units to purchase the badges themselves. WHAT IS KNOWN however is they were not purchased willy nilly on the street. The Canadian Film and Photo Unit and 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion single layer embroidered titles purchased in the UK were purchased BY THE UNIT and supplied via THEIR QM. So they were not "private purchase" per say. We just dont know the official paper trail for certain. Veterans of both units state that without a doubt they were "issued" the embroidered titles by their QM. The number of unworn examples of the Cdn Para Bn title attest to this and many vets who could care less about what title they wore, had these shoulder titles. Anyway I just wanted to clear that up.

NOW, that said, the first Canadian Film and Photo Unit Embroidered titles were "private purchase" and ordered by officers of the unit on a small scale before D-Day from Hobson's. This was the same maker that produced the QM "issue" embroidered titles later in 1945. That is why they are almost identical in manufacture. There are some slight differences in the stock made in 1944 and that made in 1945. The backing material is different while the details on the front are the same.

There is also a curious photo of a Cdn Film and Photo Officer who returned from Korea wearing an embroidered title. It is hard to tell in the photo, but it appears to be slightly different. I attempted to contact this veteran with no luck.

Anyway there ya have it!

Ken

Originally posted by Mike McMenamin View Post
                            I hope to find the cloth one some day. I'm sure it won't be cheap.

Comment

Cdn film n Photo

Rule of de tumb, You should never buy shoulder titles from a guy that calls himself homersimpson.

Ken

Originally posted by force136 View Post
                              In my book I state that the embroidered titles were approved for the Film and Photo Unit as well as for the 1CPB and bought at public expense. Unfortunately, I was using a list dated 25 January 1945 which proposed replacing "issue" shoulder titles with embroidered titles in the UK. After lengthy discussion between CMHQ and NDHQ, it was rejected because the demand would be too great and could not be filled with the resources available. HOWEVER I had a document, which I misplaced, which stated that because there were certain units in the UK which did not have an equivalent embroidered title being made in Canada, they could purchase a supply of embroidered titles at public expense. It is not known whether this was ultimately approved OR how, if it was approved, they did this. An allowence may have been given to these units to purchase the badges themselves. WHAT IS KNOWN however is they were not purchased willy nilly on the street. The Canadian Film and Photo Unit and 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion single layer embroidered titles purchased in the UK were purchased BY THE UNIT and supplied via THEIR QM. So they were not "private purchase" per say. We just dont know the official paper trail for certain. Veterans of both units state that without a doubt they were "issued" the embroidered titles by their QM. The number of unworn examples of the Cdn Para Bn title attest to this and many vets who could care less about what title they wore, had these shoulder titles. Anyway I just wanted to clear that up.

NOW, that said, the first Canadian Film and Photo Unit Embroidered titles were "private purchase" and ordered by officers of the unit on a small scale before D-Day from Hobson's. This was the same maker that produced the QM "issue" embroidered titles later in 1945. That is why they are almost identical in manufacture. There are some slight differences in the stock made in 1944 and that made in 1945. The backing material is different while the details on the front are the same.

There is also a curious photo of a Cdn Film and Photo Officer who returned from Korea wearing an embroidered title. It is hard to tell in the photo, but it appears to be slightly different. I attempted to contact this veteran with no luck.

Anyway there ya have it!

Ken

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X