Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on E-boat badge.

Hi All,

Can I get some opinions on this E-boat badge?

Thanks in advance,

Bill Rannow
    Mpls, MN

Hi Bill,

Looks like a good original Souval and for some reason somebody filed off the "R.S." mark on the reverse.

Best regards,
    ---Norm

just uploading your photos from the host server
    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

It certainly looks to be an acceptable wartime Souval. Either there was something wrong with the form of the maker mark or someone simply wanted to turn a Souval (instant questionmarks) into a more saleable unmarked example - I guess we'll never know but I'll bet $ were involved in the thought process!

Regards
        Mike
        Regards
        Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Good spot Norm, as usual.

John

Comment

I agree, nice RS 2nd pattern S-boot with removed mm
            Here is my ground dug award for comparison.
            Cheers,
            Hubert
            Attached Files

Comment

The Souval maker mark was removed many times on badges years ago before these badges were accepted, defacing many fine pieces. Sometimes the operation leaves little evidence at others there are apparent ruts.

Regards,

John

Comment

Its a RS no problems with that, its a good one

Andy

Comment

I agree with John, there was a period of time (1970's) that nobody would touch anything with RS on it. Many items like this were defaced in order to sell them. Today we know the difference from a wartime RS, vs. post war. It's a shame, but what's done is done, and it's still a nice original RS badge you have.

Just goes to prove, that we, the collectors and the dealers are not as smart as we think we are,..... but we are learning

Comment

Originally posted by tmca05 View Post
                    Today we know the difference from a wartime RS, vs. post war.
                    Hi tmca05,

Just a point of clarification. Although the differences between a "wartime compatible" Souval and the much later post-war production are obvious, we will probably never know the difference between a wartime Souval and a Souval from the early post-war period from leftover stock or produced on Souval's original tooling in the beginning. Hence the term "wartime compatible" for the good-looking Souvals, which include a mixture of wartime, leftover wartime, and early post-war production.

Best regards,
                    ---Norm

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X