Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkish War Medal

Folks

Just saw this one on eBay. I think it's one of the new fakes.

Saved the pics for reference.

Rich
    Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
    Decorations of Germany

Who is the seller, one of the usual suspects?
    pseudo-expert

Comment

I think the name was "Tom-Militaria" but don't quote me on that. Most of the stuff being sold is repro and reminded me of a guy...was it Haas or something like that?

Rich
      Decorations of Germany

Comment

currently 213euro with a few hours to go.
        Decorations of Germany

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Gordon View Post
          Folks

Just saw this one on eBay. I think it's one of the new fakes.

Rich

If you're going to make a statement like that, could you give your reasons for your opinion?

Personally, I don't like the hinge too much as it reminds me of the type being used by a certain forger in Russia.

But, in general, the workmanship is quite good. So, if it is a fake, it's a pretty scary fake.

Comment

hi

in my opinion the kind of pin look
            like these, who are well known on
            ek 1 fakes and also other war merit
            crosses from wk 1. I dont know much
            about these turkish stars but it might
            be an indication.

regards

Comment

Originally posted by bolewts58 View Post
              If you're going to make a statement like that, could you give your reasons for your opinion?

Personally, I don't like the hinge too much as it reminds me of the type being used by a certain forger in Russia.

But, in general, the workmanship is quite good. So, if it is a fake, it's a pretty scary fake.
              It's purely a gut feeling as I have no proof hence why I said 'I think'.

Here's another currently being listed from a different seller. Notice any similarities?

ps. the first one sold for €246.
              Last edited by Rich G; 05-01-2012, 03:11 AM.
              Decorations of Germany

Comment

Here's another currently being listed from a different seller. Notice any similarities?

Even the 2 lines on the top arm are similar...

Comment

I saw the second one this afternoon. I thought it was the same example but different pics. If there are 2 medals involved here, imo they are near-identical (including the cuts aligned with the hinge segments, although maybe without the peacick tarnish burn marks around the hinge/catch) - which would be a very bad sign. I don't know about the first seller, but there's no way I'd buy anything from the second seller!

Regards
                  Mike
                  Regards
                  Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

I agree with you. I was just wondering what red flags you saw. I too have seen this hinge and pin on known EK fakes and also on several recent Freikorps von Randow crosses, which keep turning up on eBay. The pin and hinge are quite poor. One wonders why would someone go to all this trouble and then put a tell-tale, low-quality pin and hinge on it.

The front of this TWM is quite good. The enamel appears to be glass enamel, not acrylic, which requires considerable skill to pull off effectively.
                    I guess it's worth the effort, given what these are selling for.

Obviously, enough collectors were suspicious though, because €246 is a bit low for a TWM of this apparent type of manufacture.

Comment

I seen an identical one for sale recently on one of the European eBay sites as well. Looked very nice but I can't find the listing anymore.

With that many all of a sudden appearing, it would make me very hesitant.

Tim

Comment

With that many all of a sudden appearing, I'd call a spade a spade and use the phase "new fake"!!!

Regards
                        Mike
                        Regards
                        Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Kenny View Post
                          With that many all of a sudden appearing, I'd call a spade a spade and use the phase "new fake"!!!

Regards
                          Mike
                          It seems that they are trying to copy the Godet star, at least in terms of where the rivets are and the style of pin. Although the Godet pin is flatter.

Here's a comparison of the back of the new fake on the left and a Godet on the right. The poor quality of the block hinge is a dead give-away on the fake as is the apparent striation casued by a wheel polisher on the surface of the back.

Sorry for the pic quality. I lifted this Godet from the Internet and it's the best that I could do in Photoshop to clean it up.
                          Attached Files

Comment

How does the obverse compare?
                            pseudo-expert

Comment

Originally posted by Don D. View Post
                              How does the obverse compare?
                              The seller seems to have already removed the pics from eBay. So, we'll have to wait until another shows up, which I'm sure it will.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X