X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lovely little display ..

Jos.

Comment

Very nice photos and a simple but an effective display also.
      Cheers
      Wayne

Comment

I just came across a very interesting piece of information linked to Dammers. On convalecence he took the tail of his plane pictured above home as a souvenier. It was found 50 years later in a chicken coup an was given to the museum in the story below. The google translation is a bit rough :

"
        These original pictures from the two sides of the rudder from 1943 are an absolute rarity, because it was one of the rare double-sided sideloaders at all.
        Dammers only had this side-rotor during his affiliation to the East supplementary group, so on his machine. Before returning to the JG 52, he took the rudder during a convalescence, then as a reminder.
        There it survived the rest of the war even after his death. Even more astonishing is that after the war, it spent nearly 50 years in a former chickens, until an evangelical pastor finally lent him a sponsorship to the TG-JG 52 eV.
        (Side rudder type plate factory no .: 3933 and page No. 109 313 F of Messerschmitt AG - Wiener Neustadt Flugzeugwerke.)
        The Rudder is technically still in very good condition. Only the painting will have to be restored soon, in order to be able to exhibit it again next to Graf's famous side-rotor in the Sinsheim-Speyer technical museum.

"
        Dammers hat dieses Seitenruder nur während seiner Zugehörigkeit zur Ergänzungsgruppe Ost, so an seiner Maschine gehabt. Vor der Rückversetzung zum JG 52, hat er das Seitenruder während eines Genesungsurlaubes, als Erinnerungsstück dann mit nach hause genommen.
        Dort hat es auch nach seinem Tode, den restlichen Krieg überlebt. Noch erstaunlicher ist, dass es dann nach dem Kriege u. A. fast 50 Jahre in einem ehemaligen Hühnerstall verbracht hat, bis es dann durch einen evangelischen Pfarrer letztendlich über einen Sponsor zur TG-JG 52 e.V. als Leihgabe kam.
        ( Seitenruder-Typenschild Werk- Nr.: 3933 und S. Nr. 109 313 F der Messerschmitt AG – Wiener Neustadt Flugzeugwerke.)

Das Seitenruder ist technisch noch in sehr gutem Zustand. Einzig die Lackierung wird demnächst restauriert werden müssen, um es dann hernach neben Grafs berühmtem Seitenruder im Technikmuseum Sinsheim-Speyer wieder ausstellen zu können.

Any one know about this museum or have any further info?

Comment

http://sinsheim.technik-museum.de/ etc.
          Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Wood View Post
            Thanx , I did look at the link, I will contact them about the rudder. Anyone been to the museum and maybe saw it? J

Comment

Been to that museum twice, last time was pretty recent, September of last year.
              Yes there are two ME109 rudders with kill markings on display.
              The original rudders belonging to Messerschmitt 109s flown by Hermann Graf
              and one of Alfred Grislawski.

So Dammer's rudder will be added soon after its restored?

http://www.bergstrombooks.elknet.pl/...erdisplay1.htm
              Attached Files
              Last edited by NickG; 01-15-2017, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Thanx Nick, very interesting link and articles by Bergstrom. There is a pic of Dammers being awarded the RK by Graf. I am doing more research into the Dammers find. His rudder was apparently " sponsered" /donated by a pastor, which is interesting as his flight helmet and portrait that I have also originated from a pastor. J

Comment

Dammers side-rudder before restored

more pictures...
                  Attached Files

Comment

Dammers side-rudder before restored

Good evening,
                    Here the dammers' side-rudder before it was restored. The stabilizer has been restored and is to come to Speyer in the museum.
                    Beautiful evening.
                    Esau

Guten Abend,
                    hier einmal das Seitenruder von Dammers, bevor es restauriert wurde. Das Leitwerk wurde restauriert und soll auch nach Speyer in das Museum kommen.
                    Schönen Abend.
                    Esau
                    Attached Files

Comment

Esau, thank you for this fantastic information and pictures. Any chance the museum will sell me the rudder? J

Comment

Any other Dammers info out there.. There is also a site dedicated to 9/jg52, very interesting.J

Comment

The struggle to reassemble groupings is real! Good luck Jacques and keep digging for info and pieces.

Comment

Nice group of items and very interesting thread Jacques.

Not much left of the original artwork on the rudder and I guess it will be totally re-painted, what a pity.

Comment

Hi there!

I have no reason to doubt about the rudder authenticity. But in the period pics the Dammer' rudder show large stripes of dark paint. In the pic posted seems to me that about the stripes there's no traces… Why?

Best,

Comment

Frank, nearly all the top layer of paint, including the artwork, has flaked off.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X