Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ost Medal Comparison S&L / Deumer / Souval

Hello friends,

In this thread we'll look at Ost medals produced by THREE different makers including S&L, Deumer ad Souval.

In most cases Souval would simply remove the swastika by cutting or filing it away. With the Ost medal he actually made a new and unique die.

In both pics the medals are, from left to right, S&L, Deumer and Souval. Each maker used their own unique die and therefore there are MANY differences both great and subtle. I'll try to describe some of these differences rather than using arrows this time.

The feathers on the legs of the S&L eagle are not clearly defined, while they are very defined on the Deumer and Souval. The feathers on the Deumer eagles legs are somewhat smaller than on the Souval.

The leaves are quite different in appearance from medal to medal. Not only do they appear different, they appear to lay in different patterns.

Notice the wider rim, crisper strike and more detailed eagles head on the Deumer, just beautiful.

The talons on the S&L are the largest then Deumer's are smaller and the Souval has almost tiny feet!

The souval appears to be made of zinc.

All the medals and pictures of medals used in this thread are courtesy of our good friend Nigel! Cheers mate!

Questions and commens are welcomed.
    Attached Files

Excellent!! Kind of like the Souval myself, has an aged charcter I like.

Comment

Hi Mike!

I understand completely. I like both stone mint and nicely worn originals pretty much equally.

Finding a worn 57er means that it was likely vet owned and worn, possibly even by a BW vet after re-entering Military service. To me, those are the very best!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Yokum View Post
        To me, those are the very best!
        Hi Mike
        Agree whole heartedly!

Comment

The width of the deumer outside band is double the width of the other two makers. If other deumers were posted with narrower bands, wouldn't that make one think, there had to have been several deumer Diess?? of course this test has never been run, and likely shant.

Comment

Good points guys!!!
            First the Souval, unlike other 57 makers, Souval often used a base metal that was either zinc or very similar. and just like the late wartimers zincers, they lose they're finish, this can often give Souval postwar/57ers a look very similar to wartimers!!
            As far as i know, no other Deumer Ost variant has been seen, but you never know!!!
            -Nigel
            sigpic 57ers...."The Devil Is In The Detail"

Comment

Originally posted by juoneen View Post
              wouldn't that make one think, there had to have been several deumer Diess?? of course this test has never been run, and likely shant.
              Hi Juoneen,

Nice to see you posting here!

One obstacle we face with 57er's in general is that they're relatively few in number compared to their TR brothers. To date, we haven't seen a Deumer variant different from the on e shown in this thread. With limited production, a second die is not likely, but certainly not out of the question.

We're making good strides here in documenting makers and variants and will continue to do so. If we come across another type of Deumer Ost, it will most certainly be shown here.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X