Finally a real Coastal Artillery officer's breast egale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally a real Coastal Artillery officer's breast egale

I'm sure everybody collecting Coastal Artillery has noticed that there are virtually no CA officer's breast eagles in bullion left as most of them were sold as WH General's breast eagles when in doubt.

There are WH collectors out there who actually pretend that they can tell by the quality of the bullion wether or not it's CA or WH. My personal experience is that I have seen horribly executed bullion breast eagles on untouched WH General's uniforms and nearly perfect ones on CA officer's blouses.

I do not know the exact numbers but I'd dare assume that there were less Kriegsmarine officers wearing field grey blouses with bullion eagles than there were Generals in the Wehrmacht (incl. doctors, Admins, Veterinarian etc...). So what does that make a CA officer's breast eagle?

Here is one that actually shows a different backing that clearly identifies it as being Kriegsmarine. First example that I ever found that was so obviously KM and 10 times more rare than a WH General's breast eagle... figured I show it off

Kurt
    Attached Files

back
    Attached Files

Comment

Very nice...I don't collect CA or KM but I always considered these type officer eagles with a "field grey" wool backing to be Coastal Artillery...Dark green wool backing of course for Heer General officers.

And I of course could also be wrong..

Glenn
      "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Greetings All,

Nice looking eagle. I would love to have it in my collection!!

Fred

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn McInnes View Post
          ... I always considered these type officer eagles with a "field grey" wool backing to be Coastal Artillery...Dark green wool backing of course for Heer General officers.
          Hi Guys,

I love that eagle!

A KM officer's "field grey" uniform which was often a custom item would still be greenish in colour. I agree with Kurt that you can't tell the difference with the dark green backing eagles, and they were used interchangeably for Heer General and Coastal KM officer.

That eagle is probably very similar to the one worn by my Dad in this photo when he was a Navy communications officer in Trieste. And here's a KM medical officer's tunic that had been previously posted in the forums described as Italian cloth, which looks very similar.

Best regards,
          ---Norm
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks everyone for the nice words and thanks Norm for the extra photographic evidence (I was just looking for pics on my harddrive).

Here is one of those ugly ducklings on one of my WH General's uniforms. I believe it's the original eagle but if this were posted for authentification, I'm absolutey certain I'd read a comment like: "it lacks the quality I'd expect to see on a General's rank breast eagle"....
            Attached Files

Comment

Nice bird Kurt, really hard to find one like this.

Basicly I agree with you, is almost impossible to know if one of these is for General or a KA officer. IMO the feldgrau or dark green backing is more a personal decision than a norm. With a private purchase tunic with dark green collar problably is more usual to find a dark green backing eagle, as last tunic I have bought, and with a feldbluse a feldgrau backing one. First are rarer, is very unusula the a KA officer boughyt a private purchase tunic and usully used transformed EM feldbluses.
              Collector of Kriegsmarine and Küstenartillerie items

Regards
              Eduardo

Collecting Kriegsmarine !!!: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=725610

sigpic "Deutsche Kriegsmarine"

Comment

Originally posted by km-spain View Post
                With a private purchase tunic with dark green collar probably is more usual to find a dark green backing eagle, as last tunic I have bought, and with a feldbluse a feldgrau backing one. First are rarer, is very unusual that a KA officer bought a private purchase tunic and usually used transformed EM feldbluses.
                Hi Eduardo,

My Dad wore both.

Best regards,
                ---Norm
                Attached Files

Comment

Norm, and apparently even with a blue visor TOTALLY against regulations

Thanks for sharing... Kurt

Comment

This is the only one I'm sure that is both, a KA eagle for a General/Admiral .
                    Attached Files

Regards
                    Eduardo

Collecting Kriegsmarine !!!: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=725610

Comment

Beautiful detailed birds Kurt and Eduardo

Comment

Originally posted by km-spain View Post
                        This is the only one I'm sure that is both, a KA eagle for a General/Admiral .
                        km-spain... I somehow knew you were going to pull this one out. Very nice ... Kurt

Comment

Kurt ... it was the place, no?

Regards
                          Eduardo

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
                            Hi Eduardo,

My Dad wore both.

Best regards,
                            ---Norm
                            Norm, I love the picture on the right, not easy to find KM green uniform with blue visor.

Nice birds!

Comment

Originally posted by DOC_KÜSTENART View Post
                              Norm, I love the picture on the right, not easy to find KM green uniform with blue visor.
                              And even more a KM officer with a M42 feldbluse

Regards
                              Eduardo

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X