Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kriegsmarine Tally opinions?

Hi Guys,

Just picked up a standard KM tally for not much expense and thought I'd run it past you for an opinion as this is the one format of construction I have the least amount of experience with and thats COTTON construction.

In hand it looks OK, the stitiching is neat and the holes appear above and below the letters on the front typical of the construction of all tallies. One observation is the material is slightly thicker than the metal woven examples I have which I know is indicative of post war examples so please take a look and tell me what you think....

BTW - The tally is cut to equal lengths at both ends and measures to approx 116cm.

I must say I have my doubts!!

Best Wishes
    JustinC
    Last edited by Trance_Eyes; 01-10-2012, 09:46 PM.

cotton Kriegsmarine tally

Hi Justin,

that's a standard cotton KM tally. No worries. Original. No doubts.

Dani

Comment

Originally posted by Trance_Eyes View Post
      ....as this is the one format of construction I have the least amount of experience with and thats COTTON construction.
      Hi Justin, that makes two of us. Cotton is rare compared to metallfaden.

Otherwise, I can only agree with Dani, nice tally

Comment

Originally posted by Frank K View Post
        Hi Justin, that makes two of us. Cotton is rare compared to metallfaden.

Otherwise, I can only agree with Dani, nice tally
        Hi Guys,

Yeah I agree cotton is much rarer. Where these made late in the war as the thickness of the tally feels much more like the reproductions.

I guess you learn something new everyday hey! To date i haven't actually had one of these in hand to analyze and to be truthfull I bought this of ebay.de thinking it was a Metal woven tally without checking the pictures because it was very cheap there was little risk so i'm happy that it turns out to be authentic and rare

Cheers
        JustinC

Comment

Nice one there Justin.
          I have been looking at the ebay.de muetzenband search. There are some nice pieces. I get upset that I can't take advantage since some sellers don't ship out of Germany or the EU or don't take Paypal. IBAN just isn't an option for us outsiders.

Anyway, Nice pick-up.

Regards
          JustinG

Comment

I agree with Dani, however, the proper terminology is not cotton, but artificial silk based on the pinned tally thread and the below regulation.

John
            Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X