Finally!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally!

I rarely post new purchases but I feel like "celebrating" a new arrival today. For years, I have wanted to complete a basic set of four CD800 EK1 marking variations (yes, no doubt there are more!!). I wanted one variant, the type with CD over 800 stamped onto the main pin.

After receiving the following misdescribed "example" in mid 2009 (which these days rarely sees the light of day) from a thieving a**hole named Thomas-Michael Nehlsen (who refused to accept it's return because it's exactly the way it was worn, including the superglued main pin which had already fallen off in transit - did I mention he's AN A**HOLE - but isn't name and shame fun )........
    Attached Files
    Regards
    Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

....a replacement FINALLY arrived today - top right. Talk about patience!!

So now, in no particular order - actually, and accidentally, probably from hardest to easiest to find;

top left: main pin stamped 800 with incuse relief CD, as per EK2s - note also the core is of the "square punch" type, making this cross a solid link between the two markings

top right: the new arrival, main pin stamped CD over 800 in a larger font (note less common roundwire catch

bottom left: reverse of cross stamped CD800 inline (this marking is upside down and partially hidden)

bottom right: reverse of cross stamped CD over 800

Enjoy! I am!!

Regards
    Mike
    Attached Files
    Regards
    Mike

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Mike those are outstanding! Really great group Im still looking for a CD 800 for the collection.

Comment

NICE SCOOP....glad you aren't like that guy huh?

Comment

Congratulations Mike!

Every time a given maker is discussed you can usually show multiple variations of cores, marks, and pins from that maker. You must have a very interesting collection
          Best regards,
          Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

...and a question:

What do you think the relationship between CD and Quadrat [] is? Do you have a similar array of Quadrat EK variants you can show, for comparison?
            Best regards,
            Streptile

Comment

Probably my favourite manufacturer of Imperial EK's

Comment

That's a great little group Mike.
                It's always fun to get that missing piece of the puzzle.

Comment

I dare say you may be the only one with a set like that...

Indeed you have great patience but they do look fantastic.

I have a few of CD800 EK2's but yet to find a decent EK1. I too will have to show patience

Good for you.

Cheers,

Glen

Comment

Many thanks for the kind comments gentleman - appreciated!

Trevor, re your question, I originally thought they were separate makers. I now know they most likely had some sort of close working relationship but whether they are one and the same firm I can not say.

I have about 1/2 dozen other EK1s in the CD800/quadrat family - all vaulted, including a couple of 800 only marked examples with the typical CD800 core. What I don't have (not sure if I have ever seen) is a typical CD800 core with a quadrat marking, nor do I recall seeing a flat quadrat marked example or a quadrat example with the characteristic CD800 flatwire catch.

So, they have things in common but there are still minor differences. Whether that is due to two different companies, the same company at different times or the same company and award v private purchase pieces, I do not know.

Regards
                    Mike
                    Regards
                    Mike

Comment

Thank you for the detailed answer Mike.

I know that the name of the Quadrat maker is hotly debated among collectors of Imperial flight badges; I had a discussion about it recently. The idea that they could be, or be related to, CD800, was discussed as well.

It would certainly be interesting to find out.

Did CD800 ever make any flight badges?
                      Best regards,
                      Streptile

Comment

Mike,

Isn't your top-left EK1 basically a Quadrat-style EK (pin, core, hinge, vaulting) with a CD mark? I mean, not just the core?
                        Best regards,
                        Streptile

Comment

Hi Trevor,

Essentially, the answer to the last question is: yes, quadrat EK1 with CD800 markings. I've seen at least one other, so it's not unique.

The other obvious link between the two markings (I won't say makers) is they share the same hinge and main pin.

No, I have never seen an Imperial CD-marked flight badge, only quadrat marked or quadrat type with only an 800 marking (also with CD-like hardware as per EK1s).

Regards
                          Mike
                          Regards
                          Mike

Comment

very beautiful collection Mike!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X