identification of this Minesweeper Badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

identification of this Minesweeper Badge

Hello, I would like to know who is the manufacturer of this badge? Looks like 7-wave “Schwerin-type” but I can't know more. Thanks

Hi wariobar,

That's Type 5.2 in the classification thread. Unknown maker, but possibly SHuCo. I'm just uploading your photos from the host server so they don't get lost.

The catch looks a bit different from this angle. Could you please post closeups of the catch and hinge in profile?

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Norm F; 08-14-2011, 10:44 AM.

Comment

I agree with Norm, original worn zinc 'Straight wave' Minesweeper badge possibly by Shuco.
      Cheers,
      Hubert

Comment

Thanks Norm F and BubbaZ !! As soon as I can I'll post some new pictures of the catch and the hinge.

Best regards.

Comment

Hi Wariobar,
          Here is 'straight wave' Minesweeper from my collection for comparison. These zincers usually feature round base plates for retaining hook like in my example.
          Cheers,
          Hubert
          Attached Files
          Last edited by BubbaZ; 08-15-2011, 05:15 PM.

Comment

I recived my new Minesweeper badge. There are some new pictures of the catch and the hinge. thanks guys

Comment

"SHuCo-like straight-wave" Minesweeper

Hi wariobar,

Thanks for posting. I think your badge is a very interesting hardware variant.

I'm presented previously the theory that these badges are made by S.H.u.Co. based upon the following observations:

1) SHuCo made a Destroyer badge, and most Destroyer makers also made a Minesweeper.
              2) The only other maker of a flat-wave style minesweeper is LM who was possibly Lind&Meyrer in Idar-Oberstein, the same city where SHuCo was located.
              3) The rounded soft-featured eagle with bulbous toes is aesthetically evocative of SHuCo’s Destroyer.
              4) The rare feature of the catch opening to the left (usually seen on these minesweepers) is also seen on the SHuCo marked IAB.
              5) The usual bent round wire catch on these minesweepers has the same tooling marks as seen on the SHuCo marked IAB.
              6) The gilt finish on the reverse rapidly fades completely over time as it does on the SHuCo Destroyer, as does the bronze finish on the IAB, and these badges seem similarly prone to zinc pest.

Each of these features is non-specific but when combined the argument is stronger, especially with the hardware correlates.

Usually these minesweepers have the hardware Hubert showed with a lower profile hinge and rounded catch plate, and a catch with tooling that matches the SHuCo IAB (but which is occasionally seen on the Destroyer as well).

Now comes your badge with variant hardware that matches the usual setup on the SHuCo Destroyer badge with the rounded rectangular catch plate and taller hinge!

So your variant is sort of the missing link, and further strengthens the SHuCo attribution theory in my view. For now it's reasonable to refer to these badges as the "SHuCo-like straight-wave" Minesweeper.

Best regards,
              ---Norm
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Norm F; 08-25-2011, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Typical Shuco catch indeed
                I agree that it strenghtens attribution of these 'Straight wave' Minesweepers to shuco very much.
                Thanks Norm for the summary!
                Cheers,
                Hubert

Comment

awesome Norm ! really good job !!!

Thanks for this information. I glad to have in my collection this special Minesweeper badge.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                  X