Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

=Third Reich Irminsul Candle Holder Estand =

Hi Folks,

I mentioned this thread regarding a Irminsul candle holder: http://wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/s...d.php?t=522570

As i work daily with iron, steel etc i saw the weld spots, they look made with a MAG (GMAW) welding machine wich is a technoligy which has been common after the 60's. Before that there was only Autogene welding and torch welding wit electrodes

Most of these DHW items are or rivet together with rivet nails not with spot welds like these from a mag machine.

Other thing is the round cup shaped candle holder. this look like pressed steel not hammerd as was normal in DHW items.

Pleaselet me know what you guys think.

Best regards,

Karel

Hello Karel,

interesting observation. Perhaps you could learn us some more on welding by posting photo's of the different types of welding and their timeframe?

Groeten, michel

Comment

Originally posted by Dmv View Post
      Hello Karel,

interesting observation. Perhaps you could learn us some more on welding by posting photo's of the different types of welding and their timeframe?

Groeten, michel
      It's a huge subject, maybe better to start with a page like this with a list of the types of welding and follow the links of the welding technology you are interested in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_welding_processes

Comment

it appears it sold!

Comment

Hi guys,

thank you for your imput. I hoped there would be more metal workers here because it is almost impossible to tell about welding techniques to other persons who dont have anything to do with that because the most things you learn is from experience. And offcourse also the fact that i am very bad in english and cannot translate things very well.

besides that, i dont like the candle holder at al. i dont think this is period dhw but postwar from the 60's or 70's when metal and wrought iron came back for interiors for a couple of years but with whole other techniques.

I hope the buyer made a good return policy with the seller

Comment

Originally posted by whscharfschütze View Post
            Hi guys,

thank you for your imput. I hoped there would be more metal workers here because it is almost impossible to tell about welding techniques to other persons who dont have anything to do with that because the most things you learn is from experience. And offcourse also the fact that i am very bad in english and cannot translate things very well.

besides that, i dont like the candle holder at al. i dont think this is period dhw but postwar from the 60's or 70's when metal and wrought iron came back for interiors for a couple of years but with whole other techniques.

I hope the buyer made a good return policy with the seller
            not period; looks more like piecemealed together.. gotta be careful with this particular seller.

Comment

Karel:

You bring up some very interesting observations on welding. It would be interesting to hear other experienced welders regarding this matter. The subject has peaked my interest and I thank you for opening my eyes here.

Although the seller didn't mention whether or not the item is period... seem to avoid that... maybe this item should have been put in the WAF bazaar section. It would be interesting to hear what the seller really thinks about this matter.

Jim

PS. If enough evidence is provided within this thread, I think this would be a valuable thread as it is not a subject discussed much if at all... and thus, should be pinned.

Comment

Just for future reference (as it will be deleted soon), here is the item in question... I assume the seller "Thorsten B" won't mind, as it is not about him but the welds and this is for learning purposes.

Personally, this looks very modern. If I'm incorrect, I will stand corrected.
                Attached Files

Comment

Looks very simple, cutting torch, mig welder, grinder, the top, as mentioned. looks modern.
                  Look on ebay...."Wrought Iron Candle holders"
                  Regards,
                  Gary

Comment

Originally posted by RUHL13 View Post
                    Looks very simple, cutting torch, mig welder, grinder, the top, as mentioned. looks modern.
                    Look on ebay...."Wrought Iron Candle holders"
                    Regards,
                    Gary
                    i'd have to agree

Comment

I do find it interesting and disappointing that the seller (Thorsten B), who is very active on the WAF and well known for his bellows on the authenticity of other SS items and especially on DHW items, has not chimed in to defend this item he has "sold" to a fellow WAF member as authentic. He seems to be ignoring this matter in the hope it will just fade away. He has seen this thread several times.

Now I personally question all the DHW items he is constantly selling on e-stand, especially the wooden plates, bowls etc.

If I'm wrong here, I will personally apologize to Thorsten. But something just doesn't seem right here.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Killerbee View Post
                        I do find it interesting and disappointing that the seller (Thorsten B), who is very active on the WAF and well known for his bellows on the authenticity of other SS items and especially on DHW items, has not chimed in to defend this item he has "sold" to a fellow WAF member as authentic. He seems to be ignoring this matter in the hope it will just fade away. He has seen this thread several times.

You are not the only one who thinks this way Jim
                        Best
                        John

Comment

Originally posted by johnm50 View Post
                          You are not the only one who thinks this way Jim
                          Best
                          John
                          there's other WAF members that share the same feeling.... perhaps it doesnt matter for Thorsten to reply since some sucker already bought his piece. he has done this type of thing before on other items, but to my knowledge never deciplined by moderators.. don't get me wrong, he is knowledgable & all that, but it doesnt prevent him from slipping a couple non-TR period items for sale.

Comment

Comment

very interesting

Karel,
                              thanks for pointing out your concerns over this , especially with your specialized knowledge.
                              Is there any way you could further explain this?
                              Or anyone else who works with metals?

Originally posted by whscharfschütze View Post
                              Hi Folks,

I mentioned this thread regarding a Irminsul candle holder: http://wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/s...d.php?t=522570

As i work daily with iron, steel etc i saw the weld spots, they look made with a MAG (GMAW) welding machine wich is a technoligy which has been common after the 60's. Before that there was only Autogene welding and torch welding wit electrodes

Most of these DHW items are or rivet together with rivet nails not with spot welds like these from a mag machine.

Other thing is the round cup shaped candle holder. this look like pressed steel not hammerd as was normal in DHW items.

Pleaselet me know what you guys think.

Best regards,

Karel

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X