Schwerin HSF from the Tirpitz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schwerin HSF from the Tirpitz

Here's my latest catch - Schwerin HSF badge, recovered from the wrecksite of the Tirpitz.

This is one of a very few HSF badges that has been recovered by divers from the wrecksite.

Truly a solid piece of history - hope you like it.

Attached Files
    Last edited by Norm F; 07-14-2014, 04:24 PM. Reason: uploaded the linked images

This is how they look like before cleaning.

Nicely preserved in a mixture og oil and mud for almost 70 years.

The wrecksite.

Attached Files
    Last edited by Norm F; 07-14-2014, 04:26 PM. Reason: uploaded the linked images

Comment

Very nice piece of history!

What is that metal structure on the water? Is that above the wreck?

John

Comment

It is a platform that was built and used during the scrapping and the wreck is situated in front and beyond the platform.

Comment

Hi, thanks for sharing, that is pretty interesting, it is great that these badges were salvaged and not lost to the elements!

Comment

Nice HSF
            I also have a HSF from Tirpitz

Andy

Comment

Nice and very interesting piece by its history.

Comment

Looks even better when displayed on a medalstand made from real teak wood from the deck of the Tirpitz, with rust and seashells on the back.

Attached Files
                Last edited by Norm F; 07-14-2014, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Awesome piece of history there.

Regards,
                  Frank

Comment

Originally posted by bnz41 View Post
                    The wrecksite.

I love the Norwegian scenery; reminds me of parts of New Zealand.

so the water must be quite deep close to the shoreline then if the Tripitz was able to be sunk so close to land?

cheers

dave

Comment

Originally posted by bnz41 View Post
                      Looks even better when displayed on a medalstand made from real teak wood from the deck of the Tirpitz, with rust and seashells on the back.

Awesome!! I really like that combination; true history there.
                      Tim

Comment

Thanks guys, glad you like it.

Originally posted by DaveNZ View Post
                        so the water must be quite deep close to the shoreline then if the Tripitz was able to be sunk so close to land?
                        No, actually the ship was situated as close to the shore and as shallow as possible. The plan was to fill up with sand around and under the hull so that the Tirpitz would become a permanent unsinkable fortress. The work was well on its way when the Tallboy bombs put an end to the whole idea in November 1944.

And the ship wasn't really "sunk", she more or less just rolled over and away from the shore.

Check out these links for then and now pics: http://www.bismarck-class.dk/tirpitz...n_and_now.html

The wreck: http://www.bismarck-class.dk/tirpitz...etirwreck.html

The scrapping: http://www.bismarck-class.dk/tirpitz...scrapping.html

Comment

Awesome display!!!

Comment

Thanks, it gets better!

I have now mounted the badge on another rough piece of teak and this is how the badge will be displayed from now on, inside the glassbox together with my 1/350 scale modell of the Tirpitz - built as the ship looked like in her final days at Håkøya.

The wooden base inside the glass is also made from teak deckwood from the actual ship.

Maybe this belongs in the model forum, but after all the thread is about the badge, not the model.

Attached Files
                            Last edited by Norm F; 07-14-2014, 04:22 PM. Reason: uploaded the linked images

Comment

Awesome, i really like it, thanks for sharing

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X