Emedals - Medalbook

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Needle in a Haystack . . . made of needles!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Needle in a Haystack . . . made of needles!

I was amazed to discover this coincidence, which I will share with you guys. Recently, I posted a cheap "nothing" photo of a RAD Officer, wearing a Gold Party Badge. Nice photo, but not much else.

Well, one of my auction members contacted me and showed me this photo:

Amazingly, from two sides of the world, the same photo on the market at the same time (the photo and the pins are for sale at Weitze).

Craig, it's hard to prove that the guy in the photo is actually the guy who the GPB's belong to.

Comment

Agreed. I just thought it interesting that both photos found their way onto the market. The one I have comes from a really old collection, and the other one is said to have come directly from the family. Just a funny, improbably coincidence, that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Gottlieb View Post
        Agreed. I just thought it interesting that both photos found their way onto the market. The one I have comes from a really old collection, and the other one is said to have come directly from the family. Just a funny, improbably coincidence, that's all.
        agreed.

Comment

Indeed ! I believe this set has been for sale at Weitze's for a while, at least he had a set with a RAD photo when i was down in Hamburg last summer.

Comment

interesting and strange coincidence to be sure....personally, would want the second photo with the badges above it as, it retains its original silver nitrate (tin-type) glare and seems to be a much crisper image.
            Last edited by Bob Clark; 04-14-2011, 12:28 PM. Reason: -

Comment

So what might he be wearing on the other (right) breast pocket then?

Any ideas?

"...1930s-40s classic silver nitrate (tin-type) glare..." = Silbergelatine-Abzug, I assume?!
              Last edited by Thorsten B.; 04-14-2011, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorsten B. View Post

"...1930s-40s classic silver nitrate (tin-type) glare..." = Silbergelatine-Abzug, I assume?!
                Das ist richtig Thorsten....this process is difficult to remaster now in the 21st century, and if so,
                one would believe it would be on a high value photograph, vs. an elisted/RAD mann's photo, even
                if he does wear the GPB.

Comment

Thank you for your worthful info!

Comment

Originally posted by Thorsten B. View Post
                    So what might he be wearing on the other (right) breast pocket then?

Any ideas?

Perhaps a simple RAD Treffen badge? I find it interesting that he wears a party badge on the tie in addition to his GPB.

Comment

Any chance of a close-up on the tie badge - looks like he's wearing the small GPB on the tie too. Talk about showing off!

Cheers,

Stephen

Comment

I think you might be right Stephen. It was standard procedure for RAD men to wear the party badge on the tie. So this guy is getting his money's worth.

Comment

I was amazed to discover this coincidence, ...
                          Craig, if you don't mind ...

Comment

Odd same wrinkles in both photos??See circled wrinkles and tint scratch on shovel arm raute.these are 2 different photos?!look close many match!Also strange!
                            Last edited by wewelsburg; 04-14-2011, 11:43 PM.

Comment

I don't know if they are photos or photo cards. But if you think that you can't find two identical photos of the same person from WWII, you are clearly mistaken. There are a multitude of copies of various photos of SS/Pol officer Johann Dobek floating around the collecting community. Same with the Pol General Sendel that was in a thread a week or so ago. Exact duplicate photos are not unusual.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X