Siegreichen Fahnen cards good or bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Siegreichen Fahnen cards good or bad?

I have 2 postally used cards from this series and a number of unused ones that I am unsure if they are repros.

The paper looks good although it is a slightly different colour. Having said that, I have seen postcards in the past that have used different paper and were both used so I was sure they were real. The major difference I see on these is that the writing on the front is often not as distinct. I happen to have the Artillerie one used and unused and here is a montage of the front and the back. Note that the printing on the back is identical. Often I find that repros of postcards have obvious flaws in the printing on the reverse. Also, the colour is somewhat different and the tip of the flagpole touches the frame of the postcard in the unused ones.

What do you think of the unused one?

The used one is the one on the left.

Thanks
    Curt
    Attached Files

here is one of the unused ones where the writing on the front is much more visible.
    Attached Files

Comment

Both unused cards as depicted above are modern reprints.

Ramon

Comment

Thanks Ramon, I was hoping you would see this thread. Can you give more details as to how you can tell these are reprints. Is it for the reasons I pointed out like the colour and the printing on the front of the cards?

Curt

Comment

Hi Curt,

The easiest way to identify the most obvious reprints of this series is to look for the artists name in the lower corner. He name was 'Gottried Klein', and the bad guys usually reprint without his last name. Klein, is almost always cut off.

Second, compare the quality of the original against that of the repro. Notice that there is no embossing that 'shimmers' on the reprint around the flag fringe, etc. The real deal will always shimmer when examined first hand

Best regards,
          John

PS: Below is what a good "Nachrichten" card should look like
          Attached Files

Comment

There are several things that will tell you that the card is a reprint. I'll mention 2 of the easiest telltale signs.

Resolution of the image. Look at the poorer image quality bad vs. good card. The poor card bears a 2nd generation image which invariably washes out to some extent the 'crispness' of image and color.

Further, and this is the easiest, in this series of cards, look at Gottried Klein's name. Notice how on the good card you see the entire name while on the bad it's been cut off. Hoffmann NEVER allowed this poor feature on his good cards.

I haven't even mentioned the quality of card stock.

I hope this has helped.

Ramon

Comment

Hey John, good to hear from you. You were posting your response while I was composing mine. Sorry for the overlap.

Curt, John is one of the big collectors of this material and I value his opinion on material. His words can be taken to the
              bank.

Cheers,

Ramon

Comment

Hi Ramon,

Thank you for your kind words, and no worries....you were here first!

I just happened upon this topic, and thought that maybe you hadn't had a chance to see Curts follow up question. But we were probably both reading it at the same time!

Take care my friend,
                John

Comment

Thanks John and Ramon - appreciate the input and I feel really dumb not having noticed the artist's name was cut off on the reprint. Well, even if I only had some of the correct reasoning this confirms my thinking that they are reprints. At least I know I have 2 good ones!

If you come back to this thread can you maybe tell me how many cards are in the series of cards depicted here? From 2. KWHW March 1941. Just saw the Flak badge card sell for 200 Euros at Meixner!

Curt
                  Attached Files

Comment

I think I answered my own question. Forgot to check in Bender's postcard books. He has 6 of them in there.

Curt

Comment

Hi Curt,

Bender shows a representative selection of that card series. There are more than 6.

Cheers.

Ramon

Comment

Klein swallowtail art ???

Originally posted by johninhb View Post
                        ...way to identify ...reprints ...is to look for the artists name
                        ...'Gottried Klein' ...compare the quality of the original ...
                        I've always wondered why these cards featured cartoon like flag art,
                        rather than the more realistic details of the actual unit flags depicted.

Last edited by oldflagswanted; 03-13-2011, 08:29 PM.
                        sigpic
                        .......^^^ .................... some of my collection ...................... ^^^...

Comment

Originally posted by ramon View Post
                          Hi Curt,

Bender shows a representative selection of that card series. There are more than 6.

Cheers.

Ramon
                          Hi Ramon - thanks, do you know the number of cards in the series? I still find Bender's 3 volume set about the best reference available. Can you recommend any other books or online references?

Curt

Comment

Originally posted by oldflagswanted View Post
                            I've always wondered why these cards featured cartoon like flag art,
                            rather than the more realistic details of the actual unit flags depicted.

I wouldn't call them "cartoon like". Unless you want photo cards I think they are quite well done.

Curt

Comment

noticed online ...

<table align="center" border="1" cellpadding="3" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td align="center" valign="top" width="33%"><table align="center" border="0" cellspacing="2" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td valign="middle" width="20%"></td><td valign="top" width="80%">Auction # 20110317
                              WEHRMACHT COLOR FLAG/STANDARD POSTCARD #11 `ARTILLERIE`
                              Required Bid: $36.00 Bids: 0
                              Closes on 3/17/2011 8:30:00 PM CST</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td align="center" valign="top" width="33%"><table align="center" border="0" cellspacing="2" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td valign="middle" width="20%"></td><td valign="top" width="80%">Auction # 20110317
                              WEHRMACHT COLOR FLAG/STANDARD POSTCARD #12 `KAVALLERIE`
                              Closes on 3/17/2011 8:30:00 PM CST</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td align="center" valign="top" width="33%"><table align="center" border="0" cellspacing="2" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td valign="middle" width="20%"></td><td valign="top" width="80%">Auction # 20110317
                              WEHRMACHT COLOR FLAG/STANDARD POSTCARD #13 `PANZERABWEHR`
                              Closes on 3/17/2011 8:30:00 PM CST</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td align="center" valign="top" width="33%">
                              </td></tr><tr><td align="center" valign="top" width="33%"><table align="center" border="0" cellspacing="2" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td valign="middle" width="20%"></td><td valign="top" width="80%">Auction # 20110317
                              WEHRMACHT COLOR FLAG/STANDARD POSTCARD #14 `FAHRABTEILUNG`
                              WEHRMACHT COLOR FLAG/STANDARD POSTCARD #15 `LUFTWAFFE`
                              WEHRMACHT COLOR FLAG/STANDARD POSTCARD #16 `JAGDFLIEGER`
                              Closes on 3/17/2011 8:30:00 PM CST</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td align="center" valign="top" width="33%">
                              </td></tr><tr><td align="center" valign="top" width="33%"><table align="center" border="0" cellspacing="2" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td valign="middle" width="20%"></td><td valign="top" width="80%">Auction # 20110317
                              WEHRMACHT COLOR FLAG/STANDARD POSTCARD #17 `FLAKARTILLERIE`
                              WEHRMACHT COLOR FLAG/STANDARD POSTCARD #19 `MARINE`
                              WEHRMACHT COLOR FLAG/STANDARD POSTCARD #2 KRIEGS FLAG
                              WEHRMACHT COLOR FLAG/STANDARD POSTCARD #20 `U-BOOT-WAFFE`
                              WEHRMACHT COLOR FLAG/STANDARD POSTCARD #3 `OBERBEFEHLSHABER DER HEERS`
                              WEHRMACHT COLOR FLAG/STANDARD POSTCARD #5 `OBERBEFEHLSHABER DER KRIEGSMARINE`
                              WEHRMACHT COLOR FLAG/STANDARD POSTCARD #7 `GEBIRGSJAGER`
                              WEHRMACHT COLOR FLAG/STANDARD POSTCARD #8 `PIONIERE`
                              WEHRMACHT COLOR FLAG/STANDARD POSTCARD #9 `NACHRICHTENTRUPPE`
                              Closes on 3/17/2011 8:30:00 PM CST</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>
                              sigpic
                              .......^^^ .................... some of my collection ...................... ^^^...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X