pre ww1 flag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pre ww1 flag

Some of you guys may have seen this flag befor.I bought it from a fellow WAF member few monthes ago.I`m finally getting around to framing the flag.The previous owned told me it was a vet`s memorial type flag from a certain German city.I would like to know more about the flag,such as exactly what war was it in remembrance of,it`s dated 1885-1900 but what year would it of been made 1910 1920 ???Translation of the words be really helpful also.I`m thinking of having a small tag engraved to put on the frame and would like to know what I should title it as.I was thinking of putting a sheet behind the flag and sewing it to the sheet around the edges.Good idea? I figure it`s in rather poor shape and a few stitches couldn`t really hurt it anymore then it already is.Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks,Gary

Originally posted by garyv View Post
    ...what war was it in remembrance of
    ...what year would it of been made
    ...Thanks,Gary
    Hello Gary:
    IMO, even with age deterioration. A circa 1900 made
    veterans organization flag, whose members saw service
    in the 1870-71 Franco-Prussian War, thus all the battle
    location names in France. Superb eagle detail too IMO.

sigpic
    .......^^^ .................... some of my collection ...................... ^^^...

Comment

If there is no silk in that flag I would sandwich it between two pieces of Plexiglas. Then attach a string to the top and hang it on a wall away from any sunlight. By attaching the string on the top you would be able to flip the flag from time to time to enjoy both sides of that work of art.
      I would not stitch it in anyway.

This is just what I would do with the flag.

It's beautiful.

Comment

oldflagswanted mentioned most of the possible information.

The town of the veterans organzation is "Schmidthachenbach" a small village in the Palatine area, today in the Birkenfeld area.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmidthachenbach

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmidthachenbach

The words named on the flag:

Gehorsam - discipline
        Treue - loyalty
        Tapferkeit - bravery

are military virtues.

The names "Düppel, Sedan, Königgrätz, Paris" are battle locations. You should google theses names.

Gerdan

Comment

Nice flag Gary, i wouldn't sew it on anything, as suggested, a piece of plexi glass fo hanging
          These Imperial flags are a work of art
          Regards,
          Gary

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X