U505 Binoculars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U505 Binoculars

Hello, everyone, I'm new to this forum. I'm a microscopist by profession, but also a collector of binoculars, especially military ones. I live a few blocks from the Museum of Science and Industry, and thought you all might be interested to view some images of the binoculars that were on board when captured. Please excuse the quality, as shooting through display glass with flash on a consumer digital, is not my strong suit.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

If I could have one pair, this would be it, the deck mounted 7X50

Comment

Nice binoculars

Andy

Comment

Nice to see optics right off the boot. Some collectors think that the black paint found on the 7x50 U Boat glass (third picture) was not original and applied post war. However here we see a black one directly from the boat.
                John

Comment

Nice photos and I, too, have enjoyed visiting U-505. On the optics and other gear from U-505 that are on display, my understanding is that a lot of these items have been donated to the Museum of Science and Industry over the years by veterans and various other persons who ended up with items removed from U-505 at various times. Thus, I don't think we can assume that all items shown have always been together with U-505 and/or that no opportunity existed for these items to have been modified post-war. To me, it looks like a lot of small items such as firearms, optics, etc. were taken from the boat at the time of capture and thereafter as war trophies and that it is only, via post-war donations, has such equipment been reunited with the boat.

Comment

Come to think of it, I do seem to remember something being said when they were opening the new underground display for the U505, how they had reached out to the families of the veterans of the Naval task force for souvenirs to donate to the display.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Smith View Post
                      Nice photos and I, too, have enjoyed visiting U-505. On the optics and other gear from U-505 that are on display, my understanding is that a lot of these items have been donated to the Museum of Science and Industry over the years by veterans and various other persons who ended up with items removed from U-505 at various times. Thus, I don't think we can assume that all items shown have always been together with U-505 and/or that no opportunity existed for these items to have been modified post-war. To me, it looks like a lot of small items such as firearms, optics, etc. were taken from the boat at the time of capture and thereafter as war trophies and that it is only, via post-war donations, has such equipment been reunited with the boat.
                      Thanks to both Motodelta and Alan for this excellent and frank input. It had crossed my mind whether the exhibits on display in the museum had in fact come off the particular submarine in question. It seems that the concensus is that the items were (or at least could have been) donated to the museum long after U-505 was captured. From a collector point of view that helps a lot. Long ago in New Zealand when I was a kid I recall mutilating many a war souvenir that my friends' fathers had brought back from North Africa or the Pacific. I would hate to think that my abominations were to be thought of by collectors in future as genuine WWII usage.

Comment

Hi motodelta do you have more photos of the U5050 displays?? Of the Boat itself that maybe you could share with us??

Comment

Well, I don't have any more just residing on a digital folder, but I could certainly go back and take a few, as we're members, and live only a few blocks away. What kind of artifacts would you like photographed? Thefre is quite a bit of material there. They won't let you photograph the interior for some strange reason. I'll try and get some good exterior shots in a week or two.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X