Busch rathenow scherenfernohr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Busch rathenow scherenfernohr

Hello all, my first post. I have a scherenfernohr that has only very light markings on the top or the right scissor arm. within a "shield" is Busch rathenow below. there is some optic info I am trying to make out and there is "sr.171". If any one has any info on these I'll try and post some pics. Thanks.

S.f.14

hi 2nd amend law, Busch S.F.14 are seldom encountered. Do post a picture

Comment

scherenfernohr

Stew,
      I'm not sure that they are S.F.14 there is no markings on the pivot end caps. and the back pack case they came in is as are the optics have "sr. 171". Also I cannot post pics yet I don't know how and I think I need to be a full member. Thanks 2nd amend law.

Comment

Busch A-G,Rathenow. S.F 14 Z G i

2nd amend law , sent me a few pix of his mid -1930's Busch scherenfernrohr . On one of the prism covers are a few stampings that I have not seen before and I am posting them here to see if we can make something of them.
        Included in the stampings suggest 10x50, 5 degrees FoV,a serial number (Nr 4 ....." and other words which I do not recoqnize.

The SF appears complete,and includes an artillery fire control elevation vernier scale device attached to the right side occular assembly.
        Attached Files

Comment

Stew thanks formthe help. If anyone has any other info it would be welcome. I am also looking for the accessories ie: correct tripod, tree stake, shade covers,etc. Thanks again to all. 2nd amend law.

Comment

I have this same exact model.

I have all the accessories, including the leather cases for each part. I think it's designed to be strapped to a horse (?) Even the objective lens eyeshades come in their own leather case. The cases themselves are steel reinforced and heavy. These scherenfernfohrs are e x t r e m e l y heavy.

anyone know what these are?

Comment

S.F 14 Z Gi Emil Busch AG,

Hi Micah,
              don't be bashful post some pictures !!!

Comment

okay will do.

Here is everything in it's cases so far. bad picture, but I'll take another one.

Case #1: Holds Scheren, richtkries (inside top cap) and accessories
                Case #2: Holds sunshade/shields
                Bag: Holds Dreibein

Here is shot without the objective shields....

Comment

More..anyone know more about these?

don't see these covered in Seeger.
                  Appears to be some sort of Kavallerie model? Busch Rathenow was destroyed in 1945, and I didn't know that B-R did exports for France, but perhaps they did and these are interwar. No other markings than what you see here. I am removing the ugly, poor paintjob (using some sort of latex) that someone did on these in order to bring up the original ordnance olive green. Scale on Richtkries goes to 6000 not 6400 so I don't think it's necessarily wehrmact but was another adopted system for WW1 or immediately post WW1. the cases are heavy, reinforced high quality leather with a protective finish, and have lots of snap pockets inside. comes with the long rainguards which also has its own custom fitted case. richtkries has its own place in the top of the curved satchel. tripod is in a canvas drawstring bag with reinforced ends and hardtop cap fitted to top pin.

Comments/thoughts from colleagues are most welcome!

Last edited by mlespaul; 05-07-2011, 07:46 AM.

Comment

S.F 14 Z Gi Rig

Nice rig I have never seen detailed pictures of a German Kavallerie behälter.
                    Does the S.F have the German S.F.14 Z Gi Gitterplatte reticle? Interesting markings on the top objective cover. I agree that Busch must have produced some S.F for overseas contracts. Some research on the French army is needed.
                    Does the elevation reader on the S.F read H/6400?
                    I agree with you - Emil Busch AG ,Rathenow was largely destroyed in the final stages of WW2,and the factory remains was packed off to Russia post WW2 as war reparations.
                    The stativ has an unusual head . Looks German -what model is it ?
                    The sunshade cases that I have seen sometimes has provision for a tree spike.
                    The meßkreis (bearing circle) being a 6000 scale might indicate a Finnish WW2 contract ? At the commencement of WW2 the Finns and Russians had adopted a 6000 mil scale ,French - 6280 ,Swedes - 6300, and German and USA - 6400.

Comment

S.F Busch

Oops made an error .:The elevation scale referred to above for the vertical reader is 1-3-5-7-9-11-13 .The micrometer scale beneath this vertical scale is 1-10

Comment

Stew -

The Gitterplatten is the exact same as the German one.

The Stativ needs some more heavy paint removed before I can discern anything.

I'll take another look at the elevation, but I'm pretty sure I didn't see it as 6400, it's one of the first things I look for

I thought Finland too, but I see no SA markings anywhere, nor do I see any French APX-type markings either.

M

Comment

These SF's are Romanian.

I removed some more paint and the Busch Rathenow mark is on the opposite of the L.O. Nr. 4 on the top face of the richtkreis.

Also, there appears to be three layers of paint.

The first is the nasty dark green paint which then reduces to what appears to be the typical French olive drab color...but lo and behold, that color too comes off rather easily with work and what lies underneath is our old friend the familiar German feldgrau. There also appears to have the red factory undercoat, but the necks appear to lose paint straight through to the red primer, so I stopped. Everywhere else reduces to the german feldgrau.

Thinking about removing it all down, and restoring the factory paint and feldgrau, and then filling up the engravings with white to bring them up. Not sure yet if I want to do that, but...it is tempting.

Still trying to get SF to hold its position as the front latch will not tighten securely.

Please help if anyone know the provenance of this one - its rather nice looking and unique.

Comment

S.F 14 Z (Gi) Romanian contract

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Micah, the "L.O Nr 4
                            Sr 854 "
                            of course its Romanian .
                            A quick Google....and apparently the Romanian language is a Romance language related to French and Italian...hence the French looking words on the side of the S.F 14 top prism covers in your photos......we went off earlier on a false scent!!!!

BTW similar markings appear on a Carl Zeiss series of 8x30 binoculars made in March 1943 . These are marked on the left prism cover " B.C Nr 7 Sr xxx " On the right prism cover it has the Carl Zeiss commercial logo
                            Last edited by Stew; 06-02-2011, 12:17 AM.

Comment

S.F 14 Z (Gi) Romanian contract

double post oops

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X