Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M.W.E c : some questions

Hello,

I recently acquired a MWEc from 1944 (heavy simplified version).

After checking the circuits and tubes, I tried to start it with a EUa4.
    At first, with no antenna connected, no sound at all.
    Tried then a simple wire antenna and almost went deaf from a local radio on 1145 khz, altough I used a not so good dfh.b and volume was set to low. I'm about 30km from the sender station.

1) Is it the audio amplifier on MWEc that is so powerful or the local radio sender ?

2) (Not related) Does it make sense connecting a MWEc to a Panzerkasten24 in a STUGIII ?

Thanks

Oh yes, the Mw.E.c is VERY loud. It is probably the loudest Wehrmacht receiver because the output stage uses a push-pull arrangement where two vacuum tubes are used to stretch the amplitude of the low frequency both in the positive and negative direction.

Schematic of this circuit is below:

Yuri
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Yuri Desyatnik; 09-27-2010, 09:00 AM.

Comment

I love the Mw.E.c because it's a simplified version of the Köln and the T9k39. It uses the same crystal-based synchronized band-pass filters. This technology is 25 years ahead of its time with the Americans only introducing this feature in the 1960s with a Collins set.

Comment

Thanks Yuri,

It is a set I always wanted, but the prices were a bit wild these days.
        Got this one for around 600 euros, fair price for such a good radio.

Cheers

Comment

Sounds like a nice find, how about some pictures of the beauty?

HCS

Comment

Nice find, these are beautiful receivers. On your question:

Originally posted by Dufleuve View Post

2) (Not related) Does it make sense connecting a MWEc to a Panzerkasten24 in a STUGIII ?

Thanks
            They did use the 30 W.S. and Mw.E.c in the command version of the Stug III, even if the schematic in D 9020/48 does not show the Fu 8 set connected to the intercom installation, just the Fu 5.

In principle the Kasten Pz Nr 24 could accomodate two receivers (not plugged directly into the K.Pz Nr 24 but via a Kasten Pz Nr 22 which was connected to the 24 via a fixed cable). Unlike the Kasten Pz 20, the 24 can not switch between receivers, so the two receivers (Ukw.E.e and Mw.E.c in case of the command vehicle) would be audible at the same time.

Beats me why the Germans developed the K Pz Nr 24 with reduced functionality over the K Pz Nr 20, I guess they did not originally plan to operate the Stug's with more than one receiver. When they started operating the Stug's more and more in the panzer regiments, rather than installing the standard K Pz Nr 20, they seemed to have modified the K Pz Nr 24 installation to suit.

regards,

Funksammler

Comment

Well,

I tried the live test.
              Connected the MWEc to one of the empfanger input of the PzK20.
              You hear it wahtever setting you choose, seems the power output just bypasses everything in the PzKasten.
              Or something is shorted in my PzK20.

Cheers

Comment

Does anyone have dimensions of the Kasten Pz. 20, 21, 22, 24 or 25 boxes?

If anyone has spare original ones, send me a PM and we can talk price.

Thanks

Neil

Comment

mounting frame

[Anybody here looking for a mounting frame for MweC/UKwEe/ 10Ws ?

Comment

Dimensions

Originally posted by SpookyDad View Post
                    Does anyone have dimensions of the Kasten Pz. 20, 21, 22, 24 or 25 boxes?

If anyone has spare original ones, send me a PM and we can talk price.

Thanks

Neil
                    Hello Neil,

I was wondering if you ever established the size of the kasten, and if you did, would you mind sharing?

MTIA

Ian

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X