Frontreif badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frontreif badge

I know that opinions are mixed on these and they don't come along all that often. Has any consensus been reached on them?
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Patrick W View Post
    I know that opinions are mixed on these and they don't come along all that often. Has any consensus been reached on them?
    Don't think so?

Personally I don't like them, the quality and detail of manufacture is pretty awful, look closely at the eagle, the swastika is not symetric, the lettering of frontreif is all over the place for example. Just does seem like typical TR quality even in an unofficial privatly manafactured piece like these would have to be.

My opinion a fantasy piece copied from the well known photo showing the design on the conning tower.

How far back in time can we trace these?, anyone?
    Regards, Rob
    Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Comment

I've seen a couple of believable ones (I doubt I could find the pics), but regardless of what current thinking is on their existence, the hardware and finish on this one puts me off straight away.

Regards
      Mike
      Regards
      Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Perhaps one day an example will come along with rock solid provenance but for now I do not believe there is any proof that we can trace any of these back to wartime production. I have certainly seen some of these examples that did look to have a zinc base complete with the finish worn/dissolved down to the zinc but then again the times that I have seen these for sale at shows it was usually from those who sold items that were questionable to put it politely. If a piece was made of zinc in let's say the 60's or 70's or even 80's the finish could have dissolved by now, or a clever faker could make the example in such a way so that the finished product has that faded look.

John

Comment

Frontreif Badge

Hello Patrick,
          I have never liked these badges (for the reasons already mentioned). I was even offered one years ago by Angolia (that should be a red-flag).

I have a book or a magazine I think from the late 60's that mention these.

Not for me unless it was under $20.

Regards,
          Jody

Comment

Thanks Guys!

this one does appear to be zinc but yes the finish and setup is all a bit weird- off to the bazaar with it

Kind regards

Patrick

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X