Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

West German Merchant Marine

Gentlemen,

While I was away a new uniform arrived. It is comprised of a tunic and visor cap of an officer in a merchant marine company. I've done a couple of days research on the flag in the cap badge without being able to identify the firm. This flag appears in a Heering-Husken catalogue of badges for German organizations from 1871-1945 so this is a well established ccompany from before the post WWII era. Unfortunately, while the previously mentioned catalogue has four pages of tables showing merchant marine flags there is no text identifying the flags themselves. Some what frustrating! If you can identify the name of the company that uses this flag I would be very greatful! The tunic and cap are definitely post war era pieces from the labels in them.
    Here are pictures of the tunic. The sleeve bears the single stripe of a junior officer. The wheel would normally indicate technical personel and the lightning bolts communications so I would say this tunic is probably for the communications officer of the ship.
    Attached Files

The metal buttons measure 20mm and are made by OLC. They are all matt finish with the exception of the small button sewn high on the left shoulder which measures 17mm. This small button has a matt background and bright raised sections. It is plastic and was made by W. Hügel. I do not know the exact urpose of this button. It was obviously added after the tunic was made and is possibly for some sort of lanyard.
    Attached Files

Comment

The labels in the tunic.
      Attached Files

Comment

Now on to the hat. It is also made of pure wool, and although it has a rough surface, it is a superior quality cap. The chin strap is of an unusual design. The chin strap buttons are identical in design to those on the tunic. The embroidered leaves around the outside of the flag are in gold wire. The flag is metal with a blue and white enamel flag.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Gordon Craig; 06-02-2010, 10:12 AM.

Comment

The sweat band is of grey leather and bears the usual markings of a better quality cap.

Regards,

Gordon
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Gordon Craig; 06-02-2010, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Gentlemen,

Many collectors ignore civilian uniforms and consider that they are not worth collecting. They concentrate on military uniforms only. To me, all uniforms are of interest and I would like to ilustrate here one reason that I feel that way. Especially about the Merchant Marine. This is outside the area covere by this forum but I think it is the best way to illustrate what I am trying to say here.
            During WWII the Knights Cross, in its many levels of award, was the most prestigious of all awards. Of all the Knights Crosses awarded there was only one awarded to a civilian. He was Handel Schiffskapitän Paul Hellman Commanding officer of the Blockade Breaker M.S. OSORNO. He was awarded the Knights Cross on 06.01-1944. He was promoted to Leutnantzersee der reserve on 01.11.1944. I mention his promotion to Leutnantzur see because the pictures I will post here show him in his Handels Marine uniform and in his KM uniform. Hence, the collection of post war Handles Marine uniforms can be as interesting as war time as you may find a highly decorated post war member of the Handels Marine.
            The first pictures shows Hellman in civilian clothes wearing his KC and being greetted by Gross Admiral Doenitz. The second picture shows him in his Handels Marine uniform wearing all of his awards.

Regards,

Gordon
            Attached Files

Comment

This last picture shows him wearing his KM uniform.
              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X