Landstorm Nederland Tab set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landstorm Nederland Tab set

Here's my latest SS purchase; a Landstorm Nederland Tab set.
    Landstorm Nederland Flaming grenade in late war "kriegsmetal".
    Hope you like it!
    Attached Files

The set will be displayed with this "Landstorm Nederland" dogtag,
    which I am in the process of purchasing as well!
    Attached Files

Comment

Dutch goodies

Landstorm Nederland tab set now
      displayed with my other Dutch goodies;

-a Nederland Division BeVo cuff title
      -Nederland pennant recently found in the house of this
      Dutch officer (note death card image , KIA Leningrad front 1941)
      -BeVo Tab set including a flat wire SS tab with RZM label
      -Tab set Dachau style Nederland; horizontal Wolf hook
      -an early Niederlande Legion shield + Dachau produced Dutch shield

+ soon to be added Landstorm Nederland "erkennungsmarke" dog tag!
      Attached Files

Comment

Do you maybe have some more proofs of this insignia being worn by the Landstorm nederland, as at the moment I've only seen it in use in the Landwacht/Jan Hagel.

Comment

Nice stuff mate!
          How did you obtain the Unterscharführer tab?

Comment

Originally posted by Rednas View Post
            Do you maybe have some more proofs of this insignia being worn by the Landstorm nederland, as at the moment I've only seen it in use in the Landwacht/Jan Hagel.
            You are probably right...This based on the provided images in an earlier thread showing Landwacht men (forerunner of Landstorm) wearing such insignia on field gray uniforms
            (= "Jan Hagel").
            This metal insignia is more commonly found on earlier Landwacht uniforms. These Landwacht men also often wore black pants, unlike the later Waffen SS unit...

but theoretically speaking there probably was a good chance that older insignia found its way into the newly designated Landstorm Nederland Division, when all these men were all absorbed in this new (or rather renamed) Waffen SS unit.

This soldier reportedly is a Landstorm Nederland Waffen SS trooper...(as opposed to "Jan Hagel" but I may be wrong...)
            but usually they did wear blank collar tabs in Landstorm...that is the "norm"... even though an SS style embroidered flaming granade collar tab was designed and manufactured...
            mimicking the earlier Landwacht Flaming grenade tab (and hat) devise in metal...which I was showing here... Thanks for your input.
            I agree.

2nd image = a Landwacht member (prior to Landstorm creation)
            Images from your Flickr file
            Attached Files
            Last edited by NickG; 04-21-2010, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Hi Nick,

The Landwacht prior to the Landstorm has nothing to do with the Landwacht/Jan Hagel, only the same name. In November 1943 when the Landwacht/Jan Hagel was founded, the Landwacht Nederland had already changed its name to Landstorm because otherwise they shared the name.

I think that both men above are from the Landwacht/Jan Hagel. The reason to that is that he is wearing a black shirt underneat his uniform. This is something that I've only found with the Jan Hagel (probably has to do with the NSB-WA history behind this unit).

It is highly possible that the guy on the left and together with him many other Landwachters were transfered in the Landstorm later in the war, though I haven't seen any proof yet (!) that they still used these insignia.

Unusual things can be found often. Take this photo of a Landwacht (Jan Hagel) funural which shows some men wearing SS helmets (while the Landwacht didn't had anything to do with this organisation) and one with blank collar patches. http://www.flickr.com/photos/2753508...7622759002701/

Chronologically:

12-03-1943: Founding of the Grenadier Regiment 'Landwacht Nederland' (wore Waffen SS uniforms without the SS runes - black collar patches)

16-10-1943: Renaming towards the Grenadier Regiment 'Landstorm Nederland'

13-11-1943: Founding of the Landwacht (Jan Hagel, they wore their old, mostly WA uniforms or civilian clothing with the red brassard)

XX-03-1944: First Landwachters were put into action on the streets, later this year more and more recieved feldgrau uniforms, mostly only the jacket with the collar patches that can be seen above (didn't had any a sleeve eagle).

01-11-1944: Upgrade towards the SS Frw Gren Brigade 'Landstorm Nederland', SS runes were now issued more and more
              etc
              Last edited by Rednas; 04-22-2010, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rednas View Post
                Chronologically:

12-03-1943: Founding of the Grenadier Regiment 'Landwacht Nederland' (wore Waffen SS uniforms without the SS runes - black collar patches)

16-10-1943: Renaming towards the Grenadier Regiment 'Landstorm Nederland'

13-11-1943: Founding of the Landwacht (Jan Hagel, they wore their old, mostly WA uniforms or civilian clothing with the red brassard)

XX-03-1944: First Landwachters were put into action on the streets, later this year more and more recieved feldgrau uniforms, mostly only the jacket with the collar patches that can be seen above (didn't had any a sleeve eagle).

01-11-1944: Upgrade towards the SS Frw Gren Brigade 'Landstorm Nederland', SS runes were now issued more and more
                etc
                Good time line info! THANKS and excellent image which I had not seen before!
                Its easy to mix these organizations up based on the fact that the "Armed Forces" (SS sponsored) Landwacht was purposely renamed SS Landstorm Nederland, so it would not be confused with the "other" (Jan Hagel) Landwacht (auxiliary police) as you indicated...This is something new to me,thinking its ALL the same organisation with the same lineage.

Based on the fact that the Landstorm ( and its precursor Landwacht) adopted the flaming grenade insignia as worn by the "WA member's Landwacht" and that their functions were exactly the same (providing internal security) its easy to confuse these seperate units and with the Germans eager to fill in slots for replacements and wishes to expand to Division size, no doubt they eventually all merged or many got transferred into the same security force, that we all recognise as Landstorm Nederland, a full fledged Armed Forces Waffen SS division.
                (at least in name a Division...it remained a Brigade uptil the end)

I agree a mix of black WA uniform components (shirts and pants) combined with German headgear,helmets and tunics (as depicted below)
                would indicate " Jan Hagel" (WA) Landwacht (auxiliary Police...kind of like Schuma), as opposed to the Armed Forces Landwacht unit ,
                out of which the Waffen SS Landstorm developed!
                So with that said both troopers depicted in post #6 are indeed "Jan Hagel" Landwacht members (as opposed to armed forces SS) based on garment composition.
                No SS sleeve eagle would be another distinctive difference! Great info! Thanks for your contribution.
                Based on your avatar choice, no doubt that you are the expert in this area!
                Attached Files
                Last edited by NickG; 04-22-2010, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Nice looking tab Nick! I am still looking to get one for my collection too.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X